Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he has very good teeth as well.
    Watching the ESPN NFL show this morning, Rex Ryan has the whitest teeth on earth. They are really scary.

Agree on Bonner - he is a favorite. I'm also a big Raftery fan out of nostalgia but will admit there is quite a lot of shtick there and I understand why others would not like him as much.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    100% agree, he’s the best IMHO by far. Guess he doesn’t have the shtik to be a top ESPN announcer, but he’s been my favorite for decades.
    You know, I think maybe Bonner has gradually moved up the NCAAT announcing pecking order. He’s been paired with Kevin Harlan (pretty decent) and Reggie Miller. I’d go so far as to say the Harlan-Bonner team might be 3d choice, after Nantz-Raftery-Hill and Eagle-Spanarkel.

But he doesn’t seem to get many Duke games during ACC play, which is disappointing.

Btw, re Bonner, here’s part of a post from brevity, during 2021 NCAAT.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Awful Announcing does an annual poll of NCAA Tournament broadcaster rankings (based on 16,000 votes after the first two rounds).

10. Lisa Byington and Steve Smith
    9. Carter Blackburn and Debbie Antonelli
    8. Tom McCarthy and Avery Johnson
    7. Spero Dedes and Brendan Haywood
    6. Andrew Catalon and Steve Lappas
    5. Brian Anderson and Jim Jackson
    4. Brad Nessler and Steve Lavin
    3. Jim Nantz and Bill Raftery
    2. Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner
    1. Ian Eagle and Grant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Watching the ESPN NFL show this morning, Rex Ryan has the whitest teeth on earth. They are really scary.
    This is so funny, we were literally just saying the same thing in my house. Those teeth glow in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    This is so funny, we were literally just saying the same thing in my house. Those teeth glow in the dark.
    Rex would rather we talk about that than recall earlier stories about his foot fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Rex would rather we talk about that than recall earlier stories about his foot fetish.
    Haha. It took me a while to get this.

But do you think he owns a mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Haha. It took me a while to get this.

But do you think he owns a mirror?
    Everything OK with Professor Walton? Tripped over a Stanford / Wyoming game yesterday in a Hawaii tournament, and was disappointed to hear some ESPN third-stringers calling the game. Essentially, announcing is the only reason I pay attention to the Conference of Champions, and to hear about what he's been reading while bullying the hapless Dave Pasch "what's your name again?"

Next up is Arizona / UCLA on 12/30.

Color me "intrigued:" http://www.billwalton.com/best-of-recently/book-list
    "Quality is not an option!"

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Dick Vitale is taking some time off to rest his vocal cords - not related to his cancer diagnosis or treatments. He was diagnosed with dysplasia before the cancer was discovered:

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/dic...cal-cords.html

He's not my favorite to listen to because I'd prefer to hear somebody talking about the game in progress, but few would argue about his love for the game, and general positive outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    ...Essentially, announcing is the only reason I pay attention to the Conference of Champions, and to hear about what he's been reading while bullying the hapless Dave Pasch "what's your name again?"
    So true. And while it gets old, it really does get old. The fun begins when Dave starts snarking back.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Cory Alexander Help Needed

I live on the West Coast. I appreciate being able to watch about every Duke game, some on the ACC Network.

Is there a radio feed I can get when Cory A is providing the color, aka his life story.

I know I can hit the mute. Any alternatives.

Thanks
    SoCal

https://streema.com/radios/The_Bull_WDNC
    I had enough of Cory Alexander . Unfortunately the commentary is not synched with the television. Slight delay on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I live on the West Coast. I appreciate being able to watch about every Duke game, some on the ACC Network.

Is there a radio feed I can get when Cory A is providing the color, aka his life story.

I know I can hit the mute. Any alternatives.

Thanks
    SoCal
    Living on the west coast as you do, anything you'd like to add to Corey's long spiel on Alaska being part of the Pacific Northwest (or not!)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Living on the west coast as you do, anything you'd like to add to Corey's long spiel on Alaska being part of the Pacific Northwest (or not!)?
    It wasn't just one long spiel. Just when we thought it was thankfully over, and there was a break, he actually went BACK to it and opened the topic up again. OMG make it stop!

This could and perhaps go in the general Announcers thread, but what the heck Cory is bad enough that it's appropriate that he has his own bad announcer thread. Here are my "favorites" from tonight's game, and these are not exact quotes but close enough:

1. You'd rather go into halftime ahead than behind.
    2. It's better to be up 9 points at this point than down 9 points.
    3. Anytime as a visiting team you have to come into Cameron, it's advantage Duke.
    4. As mentioned by others, everyone in the basketball universe is "my guy."
    5. interminable, pointless, unfunny, and uninsightful story about him crashing into the CA part of the Cameron lettering when he played there decades ago. When I say nobody cares, I mean NObody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    https://streema.com/radios/The_Bull_WDNC
    I had enough of Cory Alexander . Unfortunately the commentary is not synched with the television. Slight delay on the radio.
    If for whatever reason that doesn't do it for you, you can also stream The Buzz (maybe try all three and see if one is more in sync with the TV than the other two).

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/page/11071232/

https://tunein.com/radio/Buzz-Sports-Radio-993-s114928/

I would like to say something prophetic. But really. Corey. Just go away.
    When you dream of Dickie V instead of Corey. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It wasn't just one long spiel. Just when we thought it was thankfully over, and there was a break, he actually went BACK to it and opened the topic up again. OMG make it stop!

This could and perhaps go in the general Announcers thread, but what the heck Cory is bad enough that it's appropriate that he has his own bad announcer thread. Here are my "favorites" from tonight's game, and these are not exact quotes but close enough:

1. You'd rather go into halftime ahead than behind.
    2. It's better to be up 9 points at this point than down 9 points.
    3. Anytime as a visiting team you have to come into Cameron, it's advantage Duke.
    4. As mentioned by others, everyone in the basketball universe is "my guy."
    5. interminable, pointless, unfunny, and uninsightful story about him crashing into the CA part of the Cameron lettering when he played there decades ago. When I say nobody cares, I mean NObody cares.
    I actually thought his response to his partner's question about what Paolo should look to specifically improve upon was incredibly insightful. He said "all guys want to improve in all facets of the game." 🤦 Bahaha.

While I find his commentary inane at times, I'll be honest that he doesn't bother me all that much. I largely ignore. I found Len Elmore much worse. Or even Jay Bilas really.

CA doesn't really add much to the game for me, but also doesn't totally grate me. Maybe I'm alone in this thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    CA doesn't really add much to the game for me, but also doesn't totally grate me. Maybe I'm alone in this thought...
    I was totally in this camp until the game today, actually, but he REALLY bugged me in this one for whatever reason. He was trying to bring that Bill Walton energy where he just stream-of-consciousness riffed on whatever came to mind, but where Walton's riffs are at least absurdist and fun if not actively invested in the game (I'll admit it, I'm a big Walton-as-announcer fan, though I acknowledge that might be because he rarely calls Duke games), Alexander's were actively painful tonight. I just couldn't tune him out like I usually can.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    I was totally in this camp until the game today, actually, but he REALLY bugged me in this one for whatever reason. He was trying to bring that Bill Walton energy where he just stream-of-consciousness riffed on whatever came to mind, but where Walton's riffs are at least absurdist and fun if not actively invested in the game (I'll admit it, I'm a big Walton-as-announcer fan, though I acknowledge that might be because he rarely calls Duke games), Alexander's were actively painful tonight. I just couldn't tune him out like I usually can.
    Could be because the announcers weren't actually at the game, they were off in their own studios somewhere calling it from the TV feed. Easier for him to listen to himself talk?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

CA seems like a nice enough guy but his actual analysis of the game is lacking. He isn’t very big on the Xs and Os but heavier on his relationships with the Jimmy’s and Joe’s. It seems that for nearly every player out there competing, he has a story of watching them in an AAU game during their high school career and gloats that he knew they were going to be a good player for a long time while they were in high school. He also frequently brings up stories about his glory days as a player at UVa. It seems he knows many of the player’s parents, too, and he reminds us of that nearly every broadcast, sometimes multiple times. I feel he would benefit from going lighter on these talking points and digging down granularly into what is happening more during the actual game he’s calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Could be because the announcers weren't actually at the game, they were off in their own studios somewhere calling it from the TV feed...
    I would have been happy to climb into the darkened crow's nest and provide some in-Cameron commentary but most listeners would have tired of me pointing out that Joshy was over the midcourt line again. Along with anything else I would have said.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'