Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Greenberg, Cory Alexander, and a few others. But Dakich takes it to another level because he just seems like a truly miserable human being. Good riddance.
    Could not agree more…I literally would turn the volume down if he was doing a game I watched, and I have never done that for any other announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Well it’s not like ESPN can’t give Mr Elmore a call.
    While Jakitch is a drag, it can always get worse.
    My favorite worst Len Elmore call was this master class in pouring cold water on McClure's buzzer beater against Clemson. Starts by doubting that it was in time (it was), and goes on to be incredulous that Clemson let it happen.
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Could not agree more…I literally would turn the volume down if he was doing a game I watched, and I have never done that for any other announcer.
    You listen to Bill Walton?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You listen to Bill Walton?
    I'd say "only when I'm as high as he is"....but that's effectively impossible.
    April 1

There's Duke anti-bias in announcers, sure (yes, Packer comes to mind). And there are annoying announcers (looking at you, Alexander). But Dakich was (so happy to use past tense here) just clearly at another level of not just bias against Duke, not just being a terrible commentator, but being an overall neanderthal in his takes and comments. I'm not defending Bilas and Elmore, but they are relatively intelligent individuals. Dakich is dumber than a box of hammers but with the same finesse, and he never added to the moment other than expressing distain or outrage (or pulling for the player that reminded him of himself). Listening to him was like being in the lowest level of hell during a game, with Satan's minions sticking pitchforks in your ears. There are other poor commentators, but no one on ESPN or any other network approached him. If he was anywhere near competent, one of those other major networks would have hired him. Instead, he's on the Outkick Nework, whatever that is. He's the GOAT of bad announcers, bar none in my book.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Jimmy Dykes gets under my skin too with his scorn for Duke. He loves to talk about the little schools and how hard they work and deserve more recognition and I've never heard him say one good word about Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'd say "only when I'm as high as he is"...but that's effectively impossible.
    You’re talking about Walton being “high” in regard to his 7-foot height, right?

Unofficial 2021-2022 Announcer Thread

I’m once again starting a thread to collect comments on announcers, hoping that rather than filling up other threads with complaints about Bilas or Vitale, you’ll post here.

I’m watching the LSU-WF game and Pete Gillen is one of the announcers. Totally crazed, like Walton, but in a completely different way, of course.

I despise every announcer when Duke loses.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    ... master class ... McClure's buzzer beater against Clemson ...
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane - forgot about this one!
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Outkick = One America Sports?

Outkick

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Outkick = One America Sports?

You made me both laugh out loud and gag a bit with this one. Clay Travis is so dreadfully obnoxious, it’s no surprise he’d hire Dakich. Will just never understand why anyone else employs DD.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    My favorite worst Len Elmore call was this master class in pouring cold water on McClure's buzzer beater against Clemson. Starts by doubting that it was in time (it was), and goes on to be incredulous that Clemson let it happen.
    Bahaha. I was at Duke for that, but unfortunately missed the game as I had a job interview in Atlanta and was flying back at the time. I was actually walking on west near Cameron when I saw people leaving and I asked "what happened?!" and people were like "buzzer beater!" (Pre smartphone days...). I'm still bitter I missed it (and I didn't get that job offer in the end either). And I missed Dockery's half court heave while studying abroad (listened on radio at 2am). I hardly missed any games but missed the two buzzer beaters in person in my four years. But yeah, Len Elmore's call there is pretty horrendous.

Deadspin: Doug Gottlieb is a moron

Reading the article is optional, because for once the headline pretty much covers it. I would only add that there's an AP photo with the caption, "Doug Gottlieb, a moron". So, between the headline and the photo caption, that's all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Reading the article is optional, because for once the headline pretty much covers it. I would only add that there's an AP photo with the caption, "Doug Gottlieb, a moron". So, between the headline and the photo caption, that's all you need to know.
    Pot, meet kettle.

Wait, what? This is news??

In Gottlieb's defense, if he stopped learn and think about things before he opined on them he wouldn't have time to put out the volume of stuff that he does.

Quantity over quality folks, yeah, that's the ticket.*

*That's not mixing metaphors, just SNL generations.

He's alarmingly moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He's alarmingly moronic.
    Alarmingly inarticulate
    Alarmingly unaesthetic

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Wait, what? This is news??

In Gottlieb's defense, if he stopped learn and think about things before he opined on them he wouldn't have time to put out the volume of stuff that he does.

Quantity over quality folks, yeah, that's the ticket.*

*That's not mixing metaphors, just SNL generations.
    The legendary Ray Scott calls a Green Bay Packers play on TV in the 1960's: "Starr.* Dowler.** Touchdown." A few years later, one of the networks broadcasts a game the last week of the season without announcers. Interesting, it was. Ray Scott commented and IIRC (surely it will happen ONCE), "I realized I needed to make my commentary shorter." This, from one of the tersest and most insightful of broadcasters.

Lincoln provided one of the greatest presidential speeches in three minutes. His second inaugural address took 6-7 minutes ("With malice toward none, with charity for all...")

Kindly,
    Sage
    * Bart. ** Boyd.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Alarmingly inarticulate
    Alarmingly unaesthetic
    alarmingly unintelligent?
    April 1