Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor 41

Survivor 41

Didn’t see another thread so let’s discuss.

Interesting first episode. I’m excited to see how everything plays out under the condensed time frame they have (no longer 37 day seasons because of covid pressures on the production schedule).

I wanted Sarah to try the shot in the dark since I wanted to see it in action. I’m sure we’ll see it at some point. Definitely an interesting proposition, but I’m sure we’ll see a worthy player get completely screwed over by it at some point.

The last Survivor “Brains vs Brawn” Season featured a Duke grad that made it to the final 5.

I wonder if not that many are watching this season? SPOILERS BELOW (I think that should be assumed for this thread, but wanted to be in the safe side early on)

Interesting episode 2. The immunity idol twist is weird and I don’t think I like it. Maybe losing a vote for one week, but for good until the other two are found? Meh.

Voting out Voce was pretty stupid. That tribe has no chance at challenges now and is really just hoping to hold on until a swap or merge.

Anyone else watching the season yet? Still not sure how I feel about these “Beware Advantages”.

Maybe I’m an old fogey, but I don’t like the new twists. When survivor changes the rules it just increases the role of luck and diminishes strategy since no one can plan for the wrinkles. Live the show and glad it’s back on though

One thing to keep in mind is that it got cut back from 37 days to about 25 (done remember exactly) because of Covid. They changed the gameplay to force more frenetic action in the time they have (that’s why they get basically no food). Not an excuse or justification. I haven’t particularly enjoyed the season yet vs prior seasons. It’s been pretty meh.

Admittedly, it was a low bar to clear, but that was the best episode of the season to date.

I was rooting for JD to team up with Genie, use his steal a vote, and take out Shan. It would have been a bummer to burn his advantage that early, but he would have been in control of his tribe at that point.

The confessionals with Danny and Deshawn during the immunity challenge was well done. Desahwn actively tying more knots during the challenge made me cackle.

I'm watching but a few eps behind. Seems like this season has some decent characters.

I freaking love making the players say silly stuff at the challenge in order to activate their immunity idols. That is hysterical! But, the penalty of being unable to vote for potentially multiple episodes is huge. I don't like that.

I also don't like that the beware don't really offer the person a choice once they have read the note. The only choice is whether or not to read it in the first place. Well, everyone is going to read it to find out what they may be able to get. I think giving players a choice about whether to take the advantage along with the potential penalty is better than automatically inflicting the penalty.

Anyway, those are my quick hottakes on all this.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Nice blindside this week. Didn’t really see that coming. I think Sham is playing a dangerous game right now.

Also hilarious that a tribe tries to lose and can’t.

Not much love for this thread. As we are about half way through, my thoughts:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - this is one of the least likable groups of contestants ever. Watching last night I turned to my wife and Asia’s there are only a few that I like at all (Danny, Naseer) and I can’t stand most of them. I think this has caused me to have some ambivalence towards the season.

Exile - I liked this twist with Erika and am curious to see how it plays out. I missed whether she gets immunity either way or only if she changes history.

I think I like Danny because he seems to understand my #1 rule of Survivor - do not let the women get the numbers. Doing so often dooms the guys.

I kind of feel sorry for Xander - bad tribe placement originally for him and a terrible read if he thinks he has an alliance with them. A truly furry competitor though.

I suspect there may be a record for number of immunity idols, steal a votes, extra votes, etc played at this next tribal council, regardless of what Erika is doing. It should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Exile - I liked this twist with Erika and am curious to see how it plays out. I missed whether she gets immunity either way or only if she changes history.
    She only gets immunity is she turns back time and causes the losers of the challenge to be the group that get to be immune. What a terrible twist in the game. One of the pure realities of Survivor has always been that if you win the challenge, you get to control your fate. It was always possible to win your way to the end by just never losing a challenge. It is really hard to do, but it is a hard-and-fast part of Survivor.

And now we get a situation where one player instead gets to reverse the result of a challenge. We've never had anything like that before and I don't like it.

That said, she does face a tough decision. If she feels like her tribe-mates are with her and won't vote her out then she need not reverse the result because it was mostly her team that won the challenge. She could really alienate those folks if she takes their win and tosses it in the trash.

I think I like Danny because he seems to understand my #1 rule of Survivor - do not let the women get the numbers. Doing so often dooms the guys.
    Yup, really like the way Danny is thinking strategically. I doubt the rest of the players will allow such a physical threat to get far in the game, but it sure feels like he is going to be there for a while longer.

I agree that there are not a lot of really likeable characters so far, but I am struck by how few solid alliances there seem to be. Every time we are presented with someone who is "tight" with another player, it is almost immediately undermined in some way. I mean, Shan and Ricard are clearly ready to jump ship to anyone else. Liana has been keeping secrets from Tiffany and Tiff is none too pleased. I'm not sure what is going on with the dominant Luvu tribe, but I suspect that is because we have not seen much of their camp life because they never go to Tribal.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Finally watched last weeks Survivor and have to say that was crazy. Big props to Xander for playing very well to outsmart Lian’s advantage.

I really thought Lian played that as poorly as she could have.

1. She is aware that Xander knows she has an advantage
    2. Xander makes a huge deal out of showing her the idol multiple times

That should have been enough to give her pause. She should have either held on to her advantage or pivoted and asked Naseer for his idol.

Looks like DeShawn did use his extra vote.

Finally watched last weeks Survivor and have to say that was crazy. Big props to Xander for playing very well to outsmart Lian’s advantage.
    Yeah, but he only staved things off for a week. There appears to be a core alliance of 7 or 8 players who have a strong advantage on the other 3. That said, if you are Xander and the other folks on the bottom you just want to survive one more week and hope things blow up with the folks on top.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I really thought Lian played that as poorly as she could have.

1. She is aware that Xander knows she has an advantage
    2. Xander makes a huge deal out of showing her the idol multiple times

That should have been enough to give her pause. She should have either held on to her advantage or pivoted and asked Naseer for his idol.

Looks like DeShawn did use his extra vote.
    Naseer was the strange one in the episode. At first he was conspiring with Xander, Tiffany, and their crew and then Deshawn said, "Naseer, get over here" and suddenly Naseer was part of the dominant alliance. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, but he only staved things off for a week. There appears to be a core alliance of 7 or 8 players who have a strong advantage on the other 3. That said, if you are Xander and the other folks on the bottom you just want to survive one more week and hope things blow up with the folks on top.
    Absolutely. He also managed to keep his idol and his alliance mates. He may have played it too well as I’m sure other players will start to be wary of how that will play with the jury. He already has a great narrative for the final tribal.

Another head scratcher of a tribal council. Heather in particular was confusing. Just as Jeff was ready to start the vote, she says something like "can we talk now?" Begrudgingly Jeff allows it, and Heather starts by turning to Tiffany and saying "trust me", pitches voting out Naseer, starts another beef between Shan and Deshawn, and Heather ultimately votes for Tiffany.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    As much hype as Jeff has given the "new" Survivor, it's been somewhat boring and the ones voted off the island have been fairly predictable. Much has been made about all the risks/advantages, but we haven't seen many played, and those have not been played correctly for the most part.

Shan's been dominating the minutes shown, but I don't think she's getting a winner's edit. Looks like she's heading for a great fall and blind-side, as she's pee-d off just about everybody with her "do what I say" attitude.

Xander, on the other hand, is definitely getting a winner's edit, or at least a "he deserves to win" edit. He's made bold moves, and risky but correct decisions.

How many of you knew there was a Heather out there until the last few minutes of the last episode?