Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raleigh BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Plus cornbread sticks!
    Hah! Just made those tonight to go with Monday Red Beans and Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Only if you want to break your teeth! Those things are hard and virtually inedible. Think they would make good construction material. Mrs Section 15 (who won't eat meat) tried the fried flounder at Parker's once and now refuses to ever go back. Said it tasted like cardboard. I wouldn't know as the only reason to go to a real BBQ place is for the Q and the slaw, and maybe the sweet tea. Anyone who thinks that sides or deserts are part of the experience, just doesn't understand.
    Strongly disagree although the greater weight of evidence (glaring lack of cornbread sticks outside the Wilson - Rocky Mount area) militates in your favor and in my opinion condemns the masses to a less flavorful, albeit more healthy, existence.

Grew up visiting family in Wilson and we'd usually get bbq and fried chicken from Parkers along with cornbread sticks at least one night when the grown ups were tired of cooking. There are two kinds of cornbread sticks - the first is warm and crunchy at the ends but soft and hotter in the middle. The second derives from the same white greasy bag and leftover in the fridge from the night before. A kind of bbq fugue and variation on a theme by cold pizza.. Both are good but the second requires a little experience to educate the palate.

Section 15, your appreciation of Parkers does you credit, but your judgment on sides in general and cornbread sticks in particular makes me question that old French maxim about defending one's right to expression however distasteful the expression might be. Different strokes, I suppose. More sides for me please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hah! Just made those tonight to go with Monday Red Beans and Rice.
    Now that sounds like a GREAT meal!

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Strongly disagree although the greater weight of evidence (glaring lack of cornbread sticks outside the Wilson - Rocky Mount area) militates in your favor and in my opinion condemns the masses to a less flavorful, albeit more healthy, existence.

Grew up visiting family in Wilson and we'd usually get bbq and fried chicken from Parkers along with cornbread sticks at least one night when the grown ups were tired of cooking. There are two kinds of cornbread sticks - the first is warm and crunchy at the ends but soft and hotter in the middle. The second derives from the same white greasy bag and leftover in the fridge from the night before. A kind of bbq fugue and variation on a theme by cold pizza.. Both are good but the second requires a little experience to educate the palate.

Section 15, your appreciation of Parkers does you credit, but your judgment on sides in general and cornbread sticks in particular makes me question that old French maxim about defending one's right to expression however distasteful the expression might be. Different strokes, I suppose. More sides for me please and thank you.
    Won't argue with you (different strokes and all). Perhaps I am just a militant minimalist and only want to consume what the house does best. In fact, I would posit that a place that branches out too much into non-BBQ items isn't sticking close enough to its knitting. I would worry that they aren't paying enough attention to their true purpose.

Parker's story: A waiter there once told me that when he approached a table and was asked for a menu, he knew that the customers weren't local. The only real choice was whether you wanted a plate or a dinner, or maybe a sandwich if it was lunch time. Of course that was before the interstate and 301 funneled all the New York to Florida traffic past Parker's.

Yours in Parker's BBQ,
    Section 15