Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, I'm a big Seahawks fan who halfway watches the Panthers. I keep hearing that Russell has a foot out the door. I have decidedly mixed feelings about that.

But...

What about a blockbuster trade? CMC for RW3? Panthers sweeten the deal with some draft picks so Seattle isn't left without a QB.

Seahawks have a good to great WR corp. A top tier RB like CMC could really make Seattle a very attractive place for a promising young QB with solid hands for catching and a RB who can keep some pressure off the passing game while providing a quick outlet when there's pressure.

Use a few draft picks on the O line and that's a formidable side of the ball.

Russell is a very very smart and talented guy. If the Panthers can protect him, he could have four or more very solid years with him. He's a fantastic leader and great guy in the community. Clearly Carolina needs a huge reset in the QB department.

I don't know whether Seattle would want to put Russ in the NFC, but couldn't hurt to examine something like that.

What's the thoughts of Panthers fans?
    Salary wouldn’t work and Panthers don’t have draft picks to spare. Darnold would have to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Salary wouldn’t work and Panthers don’t have draft picks to spare. Darnold would have to be included.
    Nah, y'all can keep Darnold.

I figured there were some logistical issues. Kinda surprised CMC and Russ don't have compatible contracts though.

Nah, y'all can keep Darnold.

I figured there were some logistical issues. Kinda surprised CMC and Russ don't have compatible contracts though.
    QB money > RB money

It’s also easier to find a good running back than a good quarterback.

QB money > RB money

It’s also easier to find a good running back than a good quarterback.
    Well, sure.

Just seems like it could work for both teams.

Well, sure.

Just seems like it could work for both teams.
    Cap hit in 2022 for Christian is around $14,000,000. Cap hit for Russell is $37,000,000. Darnold is around $18,000,000. The Panthers have about $26,000,000 in cap space. They can’t take on an additional $23,000,000 for one player. Additionally that would mean they’ve counted $55,000,000 in cap to the qb position.

Cap hit in 2022 for Christian is around $14,000,000. Cap hit for Russell is $37,000,000. Darnold is around $18,000,000. The Panthers have about $26,000,000 in cap space. They can’t take on an additional $23,000,000 for one player. Additionally that would mean they’ve counted $55,000,000 in cap to the qb position.
    What's your path forward for QB for the Panthers? Not a snarky question - I know very little about Panthers front office and draft scenarios.

What's your path forward for QB for the Panthers? Not a snarky question - I know very little about Panthers front office and draft scenarios.
    Eh, they’re really in a bind on this one. They chose to pick up his option before the season last year, banking on him working out. They’re really up the creek without a paddle on this one. They traded away many of their draft picks and offensive line is a huge need. They also have a huge need at QB. They really should go offensive line in the draft but may feel the need to reach for a QB. It’s a make of break year for Rhule so I’m not sure what they will do, but there is no easy answer. Rhule needs to win now but can’t with Darnold. They will have more options in 2023 but Rhule may not live to see the day.

Eh, they’re really in a bind on this one. They chose to pick up his option before the season last year, banking on him working out. They’re really up the creek without a paddle on this one. They traded away many of their draft picks and offensive line is a huge need. They also have a huge need at QB. They really should go offensive line in the draft but may feel the need to reach for a QB. It’s a make of break year for Rhule so I’m not sure what they will do, but there is no easy answer. Rhule needs to win now but can’t with Darnold. They will have more options in 2023 but Rhule may not live to see the day.
    Okay. So, actually somewhat similar to where Seattle is, only without a super talented QB coming off a bad year that is either the beginning of a decline or an abberation.

Seattle needs line help. We need better defensive players across the board.

I'm not in the "trade Russ" camp generally. If he's the only top tier talent on our team, letting him go seems like it cements a three to five year rebuild at best.

I want to retool around Russ and our talented WRs, but I don't know if we have enough picks or cap space to do it right.

Sounds like the Panthers are in a tough spot. I hear that the QBs in this draft aren't likely to go in the top half. So maybe someone talented falls to Carolina and it works out better than expected.

Okay. So, actually somewhat similar to where Seattle is, only without a super talented QB coming off a bad year that is either the beginning of a decline or an abberation.

Seattle needs line help. We need better defensive players across the board.

I'm not in the "trade Russ" camp generally. If he's the only top tier talent on our team, letting him go seems like it cements a three to five year rebuild at best.

I want to retool around Russ and our talented WRs, but I don't know if we have enough picks or cap space to do it right.

Sounds like the Panthers are in a tough spot. I hear that the QBs in this draft aren't likely to go in the top half. So maybe someone talented falls to Carolina and it works out better than expected.
    Pickett from Pitt and Willis from Liberty are the two that keep popping up.

Colin Cowherd reporting Wilson to Denver.

yep...looks official
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

more Deshaun Watson to the Panthers rumors

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    more Deshaun Watson to the Panthers rumors
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Really cornering the market on the top of the 2018 first round.

A new QB in Carolina: The #Panthers are acquiring former No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield from the #Browns for a 2024 conditional 5th-round draft pick, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Deal is pending a physical. All parties split the financials to make it happen.
    Browns are paying about 2/3 of his salary, though he reduced his base salary in exchange for incentives, which I assume Carolina will pay if earned.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

who starts on opening day?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Seahawks fan says: thank you Panthers!

I've never bought into the anti-Mayfield hype and we didn't give up much. Could be a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've never bought into the anti-Mayfield hype and we didn't give up much. Could be a good move.
    As Palpatine once said "we will watch your career with great interest."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm willing to give him a shot. I hope they keep making the At Home With Baker commercials or whatever they were called.
    They need to do a moving day one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don’t think this really moves the needle much for the Panthers. But as a Bucs fan, I’m far more happy than fearful with this acquisition by a divisional foe.