Another Sort Of Alliance

The PAC has signed a basketball scheduling agreement with the SWAC, an HBCU conference, which will include home and home games.

I know it's just the PAC and few pay attention to what they do in basketball but should the ACC follow suit? Of course, we'll already have games with the B10 and PAC under the Alliance we've already agreed to but there are still games that can be scheduled. Are there reasons beyond sports why the ACC should agree to such a scheduling alliance with the MEAC?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The PAC has signed a basketball scheduling agreement with the SWAC, an HBCU conference, which will include home and home games.

I know it's just the PAC and few pay attention to what they do in basketball but should the ACC follow suit? Of course, we'll already have games with the B10 and PAC under the Alliance we've already agreed to but there are still games that can be scheduled. Are there reasons beyond sports why the ACC should agree to such a scheduling alliance with the MEAC?
    There are definitely reasons beyond sports to do this. Equity (the sociopolitical meaning), for one.

The better question is whether there are reasons *not* beyond sports. Competitively, what exactly does the PAC-SWAC deal do for the PAC?

So, is this like a rebel alliance or a Jim and Dwight style alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Sheesh!! For a minute there I thought PAC stood for the Presidents' Athletic conference in Pennsylvania. [Oh, wait! It does.]

Now I see you meant the PAC12.

Please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Sheesh!! For a minute there I thought PAC stood for the Presidents' Athletic conference in Pennsylvania. [Oh, wait! It does.]

Now I see you meant the PAC12.

Please continue.
    This is going to make for some epic road trips. Pullman, WA to Grambling, LA anyone?

When USC comes to Prairie View, I will be there.

Mad props to Syracuse for forging an alliance with the MEAC for athletic competitions and much more: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...tnership-field

In the dead of winter, Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack was brainstorming about the future and how to make some sort of social impact through sports.

"My thought was, is there a chance for us to maybe schedule our nonconference with a little more purpose in some instances?" Wildhack said.

That was in February and Wildhack, a former ESPN executive, immediately thought of Dennis Thomas, commissioner of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, a group of historically Black colleges and universities in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. Wildhack floated the idea of an alliance with the MEAC that would include athletic competition, seminars on athletic compliance and fundraising, visiting professorships and an internship exchange.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Mad props to Syracuse for forging an alliance with the MEAC for athletic competitions and much more: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...tnership-field
    I agree that this should be done. Note too that Duke has some history of playing MEAC teams, especially NCCU and N.C. A&T.

When I was a student at Duke Law (1978-1981), I occasionally visited the NCCU law library. I once had to use the law library in Chapel Hill, and I felt like I needed a gallon of Lysol afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I once had to use the law library in Chapel Hill, and I felt like I needed a gallon of Lysol afterward.
    Was the book available?
    Did you run into Mike Nifong?

Etc., etc.