Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Listening to the announcement, it’s pretty clear as to why he really hung it up. The only part he really got emotional on was when he was talking about his little kids. Time to be a full time dad. There is nothing like it!

I read an article a few weeks ago where JJ said that he wasn't going to play a full season this year anyway. He wanted to see how things played out and start in March. I wonder if that is still a possibility? If the Nets are winning the East and come calling, does JJ take the call?

Either way, congrats on a wonderful career.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I read an article a few weeks ago where JJ said that he wasn't going to play a full season this year anyway. He wanted to see how things played out and start in March. I wonder if that is still a possibility? If the Nets are winning the East and come calling, does JJ take the call?

Either way, congrats on a wonderful career.
    This was my thought too, but given the nature of this announcement, I don't know why he would make it and then reverse course and sign with a team. Signing with the Nets in Dec/Jan/Feb seemed to be the plan for two months. Either every team drivable from NYC told him unequivocally that they would not want his services, or he just decided he, physically or emotionally or both, couldn't or didn't want to do it.

Sad to see my all time favorite hang them up. Losing him and K in the same year is tough as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    This was my thought too, but given the nature of this announcement, I don't know why he would make it and then reverse course and sign with a team. Signing with the Nets in Dec/Jan/Feb seemed to be the plan for two months. Either every team drivable from NYC told him unequivocally that they would not want his services, or he just decided he, physically or emotionally or both, couldn't or didn't want to do it.

Sad to see my all time favorite hang them up. Losing him and K in the same year is tough as a fan.
    Listening to his podcast this morning, it sounds like he needs somewhat major achilles surgery. He wouldn't be 100% until the beginning of next season - at least that's how I interpreted it.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Listening to his podcast this morning, it sounds like he needs somewhat major achilles surgery. He wouldn't be 100% until the beginning of next season - at least that's how I interpreted it.
    At some point one has to look into the mirror and ask if enough is enough. I guess we now know the answer for JJ.

Thanks for the memories young man. Now go and live well for the rest of the years.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    [JJ] worked tirelessly to ensure he was a more complete player, both at Duke and as a pro.
    The level of conditioning that he got to is, frankly, insane. Elite in terms of moving off-ball to get an open shot. The only other guy I see run off as many screens and have defenders chasing him all over the court is Steph Curry. (Obviously, Curry is a much different player, but this part of their game is similar.)

On a related note, I’ll be going to a live taping of JJ’s podcast tomorrow night in Brooklyn, so I’ll give him DBR’s best.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    The level of conditioning that he got to is, frankly, insane. Elite in terms of moving off-ball to get an open shot. The only other guy I see run off as many screens and have defenders chasing him all over the court is Steph Curry. (Obviously, Curry is a much different player, but this part of their game is similar.)

On a related note, I’ll be going to a live taping of JJ’s podcast tomorrow night in Brooklyn, so I’ll give him DBR’s best.
    Where is the taping and is it open to the public? One of my sons, big JJ fan, lives in Ridgewood, Queens and would probably attend if permitted.

Thanks

Happy for JJ to have such a great career. Sad to not get to watch him play, although we really didn't get to see him play much last year and when we did, it was obvious that he wasn't right. He's one of my favorites, both at Duke and the NBA. I don't really follow an NBA team much anymore, I mostly follow Duke players and he was one of my favorites to follow.

Oh and I'm still pissed that LSU was allowed to grab, hold, bump, push JJ into an NCAA tournament loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    At some point one has to look into the mirror and ask if enough is enough. I guess we now know the answer for JJ.

Thanks for the memories young man. Now go and live well for the rest of the years.
    My fondest JJ memory; he gutted the hearts of Pack fans watching the ACC tourney finals in my living room (early 2000’s). They thought the Pack had reached the “mountaintop” only to slide back to oblivion in perpetuity after JJs barrage of 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    My fondest JJ memory; he gutted the hearts of Pack fans watching the ACC tourney finals in my living room (early 2000’s). They thought the Pack had reached the “mountaintop” only to slide back to oblivion in perpetuity after JJs barrage of 3s.
    I was at that game...https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=230750150

Duke was down by 15 midway thru the second half, JJ scored 23 points in the final 10:05...one of the most fun ACC Tourney games I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes that was the 2003 ACC title game in Greensboro. JJ was a freshman. Still just 18 years old. He dropped 30 that game on the Julius Hodge led Wolfpack.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yes that was the 2003 ACC title game in Greensboro. JJ was a freshman. Still just 18 years old. He dropped 30 that game on the Julius Hodge led Wolfpack.
    That is still one of my favorite ACC championships (the 2001 dismantling of Carolina in the midst of a run to the NCAA title being my favorite) and one of my favorite games by JJ.
    Carolina delenda est

Hats off to JJ for a great ride! Hard to believe, I started visiting DBR and following Duke recruiting around the time JJ committed to Duke. And that feels like ages and ages ago. What a great, long career from the guy they said couldn’t defend or create his own shot well enough to stick in the league.

My favorite JJ memories are obscure

First is him completely upstaging Carmelo and winning the McDAA game MVP after catching absolute fire in the second half of that game. What a performance that was!

Second: I can remember being at Duke BB camp when a shaggy-haired JJ moved in to Duke as a freshman. This is back when the team had open run in the evening that was open to campers. I remember watching one pickup game, turning my head for a moment, then hearing a collective “Oooooh” as a JJ three splashed the net. As the action headed to the opposite side of the court, multiple campers ran out to the half court circle and started pointing at the ground. “What are they doing?!” I thought, which quickly morphed into “oh ****, he just hit a shot from basically half court!!” Been in awe of JJ ever since.

Besides his competitive spirit (second only to Laettner?) and his determination, the thing I admire most about him is his ability to self-reflect, with a goal of self-improvement. He listened to the detractors who said he was obnoxious and cocky, realized they were right, and set about to refashion himself. Many doubted him as an NBA player, and he struggled at first, until he again listened to what his knowledgeable critics said and re-adjusted.

This bodes well for his happiness well beyond basketball.

Thank you JJ for four wonderful years, being the object of scorn and persevering. Don't be a stranger!

Yes, that sounds right. He made $116 million + playing professional basketball and possesses a Bachelor of Science degree in History with a minor in Cultural Anthropology from Duke. At 37, he is well positioned for a great retirement from the NBA and I’m excited to see what his next chapters include. He is a great steward of Duke basketball. He’s still only 37!!!
    JJ was a fantastic player, for sure.

How does one earn a Bachelor of Science in History degree from Duke?

https://trinity.duke.edu/undergraduate/majors-minors
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

I'll always love you JJ! Come see us in Cameron this year!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Where is the taping and is it open to the public? One of my sons, big JJ fan, lives in Ridgewood, Queens and would probably attend if permitted.

Thanks
    It’s at The Bell House in Brooklyn. Tickets sold out on Eventbrite pretty fast—I only got one because a friend snagged an extra. Your son might be able to scope out the secondary market for any extras, or they might be selling at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    JJ was a fantastic player, for sure.

How does one earn a Bachelor of Science in History degree from Duke?

https://trinity.duke.edu/undergraduate/majors-minors
    Sorry, Bachelor of Arts …

Bobby Hurley was my favorite Duke player personally.

JJ Redick was my son’s favorite.

JJ “retiring” makes me feel old. Hope he enjoys himself and his family.

I think we can all agree the debate is settled regarding who had the better NBA career between JJ Redick and Adam Morrison if Gonzaga. That was a huge debate in 2006 around NBA Draft time - who will be the better pro? JJ’s career as a pro far surpassed Morrison’s.
    Your observation reminds me of Chris Wilcox vs. Shane Battier and Casey Jacobsen vs. Mike Dunleavy.