Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JJ Redick retires from the NBA

Heck of a career. Jersey retired at Duke. 15 years in the NBA. An absolute legend.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Heck of a career. Jersey retired at Duke. 15 years in the NBA. An absolute legend.
    Whoa. I thought he wanted another season or two. Wonder if the right opportunity didn’t present itself.

My favorite Dukie of all time

Helluva Duke career. So much better than expected NBA career. Great teammate. Phenom podcaster.

Curious whether he'll go the announcer route, the analyst route, or the coaching route. Regardless, it will be the NBA. Redick is one record that he's not a fan of the college game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It's hard to overstate how hard Redick worked to become a very good NBA player. He set a career high in points per game (18.1) in his 13th season. That's incredible. He'll go down as one of the best 3-point shooters in NBA history and with good reason. But he worked tirelessly to ensure he was a more complete player, both at Duke and as a pro. For a guy that never made an All-Star team, he was very popular around the league. He's in the Hall of Very Good in the NBA and a college basketball legend. Not bad.

Ends his career averaging 12.8 points per game, shooting 41.5% from 3, and 89.2% from the line.

15th all time in NBA history with 1,950 career made 3-pointers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Whoa. I thought he wanted another season or two. Wonder if the right opportunity didn’t present itself.
    I found this.

Redick mentions in his retirement speech that he wanted last year's season to be his final year as he entered the 2020-2021 run. He cited several reasons, including dealing with injuries, being away from his family, and not playing up to his own standards as factors that contributed to his decision to ultimately call it a career after 15 years.

"I would like to describe last season as a seven-month exercise," Redick continued. "[I was] coming face to face with my own athletic mortality. It was scary and confusing."
    https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/fo...retirement-nba
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Helluva Duke career. So much better than expected NBA career. Great teammate. Phenom podcaster.

Curious whether he'll go the announcer route, the analyst route, or the coaching route. Regardless, it will be the NBA. Redick is one record that he's not a fan of the college game.
    Based on listening to his podcast over the years, I get the impression that he'll sort of follow the Grant Hill blueprint of combining media and venture capital/investing in companies. While I am not exactly sure how Grant made enough money to become and NBA owner, I think that's the kind of business career JJ would appreciate. He is always having business tycoons on his pod, many from the finance world. I am sure media will be in the middle of it all, as it currently is for Lebron, Durant, etc. I don't get the impression that he has any interest in coaching.

The constant rehabbing is emotionally draining, plus he was playing away from his family during a time when travel was made more difficult because of the pandemic. Maybe he would have stayed another year for the Knicks or Nets. He still has the talent to contribute to a team, but I understand why he made the choice to walk away at this point.

Huge congrats to him on his 15-year NBA career. Those first few years in Orlando were rough but he stuck it out and earned the minutes he later got.

Also, he is pretty universally loved in NBA circles, especially with his excellent podcasts. What a 180 from when he was the most hated basketball player in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Based on listening to his podcast over the years, I get the impression that he'll sort of follow the Grant Hill blueprint of combining media and venture capital/investing in companies. While I am not exactly sure how Grant made enough money to become and NBA owner, I think that's the kind of business career JJ would appreciate. He is always having business tycoons on his pod, many from the finance world. I am sure media will be in the middle of it all, as it currently is for Lebron, Durant, etc. I don't get the impression that he has any interest in coaching.
    I like the Grant Hill comparison: smart, educated, extremely articulate... I don't think JJ can afford an NBA franchise (even a minority owner), but I think he'd be great in media.

JJ lives - and will continue to live - in Brooklyn. So the media route is probably the easiest one that requires minimal travel and lots of family time.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    The constant rehabbing is emotionally draining, plus he was playing away from his family during a time when travel was made more difficult because of the pandemic. Maybe he would have stayed another year for the Knicks or Nets. He still has the talent to contribute to a team, but I understand why he made the choice to walk away at this point.

Huge congrats to him on his 15-year NBA career. Those first few years in Orlando were rough but he stuck it out and earned the minutes he later got.

Also, he is pretty universally loved in NBA circles, especially with his excellent podcasts. What a 180 from when he was the most hated basketball player in the country.
    I think we can all agree the debate is settled regarding who had the better NBA career between JJ Redick and Adam Morrison if Gonzaga. That was a huge debate in 2006 around NBA Draft time - who will be the better pro? JJ’s career as a pro far surpassed Morrison’s.

I am happy for him, though I was hoping he might sign with the Nets, or a team that gave him a legitimate chance at a NBA championship.
    JJ is the Duke player for me that not having won a NC I most wanted to see win an NBA championship.
    All the haters that said he wouldn't last beyond his initial contract. JJ just kept working. Great career.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    JJ made it clear last season that he wasn't super thrilled about his trade to Dallas, having hoped to land in or near NYC, where his family and children now live. He pretty specifically called out the Pelicans' front office and essentially said they'd lied to him:
    (My understanding was) if I was going to be traded, it was going to be a team in the northeast where I was closer to home and I’d be able to see my family for the last two or three months of the season...Obviously [Pelicans GM David Griffin] did not honor his word.
    Coupled with the ongoing travails of an aging player and a career that has been nothing short of a spectacular over-performance relative to what most expected of him upon reaching the NBA, I think the timing is just right for him.

JJ actually had a longer career in the NBA than all but 2 players drafted ahead of him in the 2006 NBA Draft - LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay.

Congratulations on a great career!

Wishing JJ success in life after college basketball and a good NBA career. He will always be one of my favorite Duke players.

GoDuke!

JJ actually had a longer career in the NBA than all but 2 players drafted ahead of him in the 2006 NBA Draft - LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay.
    The only guys that played in the same McDonald's All-American game as Redick that are still in the NBA are Carmelo Anthony and Andre Iguodala.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    JJ made it clear last season that he wasn't super thrilled about his trade to Dallas, having hoped to land in or near NYC, where his family and children now live. He pretty specifically called out the Pelicans' front office and essentially said they'd lied to him:

Coupled with the ongoing travails of an aging player and a career that has been nothing short of a spectacular over-performance relative to what most expected of him upon reaching the NBA, I think the timing is just right for him.
    Yeah, I know he was ticked about that situation but I also seem to recall him saying in one of his podcasts that he was hoping to ring chase and land in a good situation close to home. Makes me think the right fit wasn’t out there in the market.

Good for him though. Amazing career and a shame he didn’t win it all in college or the NBA. With his podcast success, he’s surely to pivot to media more aggressively. I could also see him investing in a restaurant or vineyard given his self-professed foodie and wino-dom.

Congrats JJ!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

That is such a great stat. He's, what, like the 5th best player of his draft class? Behind Aldridge, Rondo, Lowry, Millsap... anyone else? Really impressive.

Congrats, my man...you've earned it...next chapter up !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    That is such a great stat. He's, what, like the 5th best player of his draft class? Behind Aldridge, Rondo, Lowry, Millsap... anyone else? Really impressive.
    Yes, that sounds right. He made $116 million + playing professional basketball and possesses a Bachelor of Science degree in History with a minor in Cultural Anthropology from Duke. At 37, he is well positioned for a great retirement from the NBA and I’m excited to see what his next chapters include. He is a great steward of Duke basketball. He’s still only 37!!!