Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Ends his career averaging 12.8 points per game, shooting 41.5% from 3, and 89.2% from the line.

15th all time in NBA history with 1,950 career made 3-pointers.
    On PTI yesterday, Wilbon sang JJ's praises.
    Of players with at least 4500 3 point attempts his percentage is third highest.

I'm sure JJ will have fun with his family. Having said that, it would seem that his kids are roughly three and four years old...I would not rule out the possibility that JJ might find the NBA a bit more attractive in a few months ...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm sure JJ will have fun with his family. Having said that, it would seem that his kids are roughly three and four years old...I would not rule out the possibility that JJ might find the NBA a bit more attractive in a few months ...
    JJ's kids are older than that. His oldest is 7. He talked about him going to kindergarten last year on his podcast. I think his younger son is 5.

Also, as mentioned by others yesterday, he said on his podcast that he needs Achilles surgery. Major rehab time surgery. Never say never, but I think he is done.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    JJ's kids are older than that. His oldest is 7. He talked about him going to kindergarten last year on his podcast. I think his younger son is 5.

Also, as mentioned by others yesterday, he said on his podcast that he needs Achilles surgery. Major rehab time surgery. Never say never, but I think he is done.
    ooh, did not know about the Achilles, yeah at his age that's pretty much insurmountable.

ooh, did not know about the Achilles, yeah at his age that's pretty much insurmountable.
    From the podcast it implied that the Achilles injury was not like a rupture that needed immediate surgery, but rather something that was nagging and causing discomfort but he had been playing through it. I suspect that he only wanted to play for the Knicks or Nets but neither worked out. I would also bet he leaves the door open a tiny crack in case one of those teams (more likely the nets) have injuries and need a shooter to make a title push. As a result I suspect he will defer the surgery to leave that option open. Either way, he has had a fabulous career, is very well liked and respected in the league, had become quite a good podcaster, and deserves to do whatever makes him happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    From the podcast it implied that the Achilles injury was not like a rupture that needed immediate surgery, but rather something that was nagging and causing discomfort but he had been playing through it. I suspect that he only wanted to play for the Knicks or Nets but neither worked out. I would also bet he leaves the door open a tiny crack in case one of those teams (more likely the nets) have injuries and need a shooter to make a title push. As a result I suspect he will defer the surgery to leave that option open. Either way, he has had a fabulous career, is very well liked and respected in the league, had become quite a good podcaster, and deserves to do whatever makes him happy.
    ah, well, if it's not a true rupture, and if JJ tires of chasing the kids around, I agree he might succumb to a late season plea from the Nets to wander down the block and suit up....whatever, he's in a great position...

ah, well, if it's not a true rupture, and if JJ tires of chasing the kids around, I agree he might succumb to a late season plea from the Nets to wander down the block and suit up...whatever, he's in a great position...
    From the video it seemed to me that he wanted to be a more involved father and this will allow him to be there for his kids way more. You only get them for so many years. In 11 or so years, his oldest will be off to college. Time flies and you have to cherish it as a parent!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    From the video it seemed to me that he wanted to be a more involved father and this will allow him to be there for his kids way more. You only get them for so many years. In 11 or so years, his oldest will be off to college. Time flies and you have to cherish it as a parent!
    And by "off to college" we mean "lighting it up from 3 in CIS!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    very true...I'm just speculating that maybe after 4-5 months with the kids he has a slightly different perspective...though I imagine the Redicks can employ a lot of help...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Ends his career averaging 12.8 points per game, shooting 41.5% from 3, and 89.2% from the line.

15th all time in NBA history with 1,950 career made 3-pointers.
    Since he will inevitably slide on the all-time three-pointers made list over time, it's worth noting (at least, it's worth it to me) that he climbed as high as 13th before injuries and missed games caused him to fall behind Lebron and Dame (although Dame - who is going to end up at #2 or #3 - would have caught him eventually).

Congrats to JJ on an outstanding career on the court, and looking forward to what he does off the court going forward.

I'm not sure how NBA retirement works, does he become a free agent? If so, I would not be surprised at all if JJ were to come out of retirement for, I dunno, a roster spot on the Brooklyn Nets, the title favorites who play in his backyard.

Respect begins at home

Latest Duke Magazine (Special Issue: Freedom) has a little article on Free Throws. On p. 37 there's a picture of Duke player #4, who is identified in the caption as "Reddick".

A minor point. But stay with me, there's really good news. Anyone who felt let down by last season should take heart. We actually can hang another title banner! Yes, another element of the article explored a fortuitous free throw miss that led to our defeat of Butler for the national title - on April 5, 2021. Apparently Butler's Gordon Heyward (brother of Craig?) threw up a half-court prayer of a shot that missed. I'm mildly surprised the FT shooter wasn't Greg Zoubek. But it was "Bian Zoubek".

The bad news: I haven't even proofread / fact-checked the entire 2-page article. This is just what stood out at a glance.

Well, back to my WWII history reading. I'm up to the point where the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor to soften our defenses for the Tetris Offensive.