Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    The more I read about Lively, the more I think a good comp for him is Mark Williams. And the more encouraged I am for Mark's NBA prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm at the point in my life that, I don't care. It is what it is and as Coach K would say, Next play. The reason I asked the question was because from what most posters say, the NBA Execs don't draft a big man that can't shoot and Lively doesn't seem like a good shooter. I guess it's a question of how far will his defense take him with only 1 year in college basketball.

GoDuke!
    The financial reasons for going pro early are obvious - but the chances that Lively will be even an above average player in the NBA is definitely not great. Injuries - lack of consistent play - lack of strength etc might limit his trajectory as it has for Winslow and Okafor and Parker. But he will be a first round draft pick and make more money during a possibly short career than most Duke students will make in a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The financial reasons for going pro early are obvious - but the chances that Lively will be even an above average player in the NBA is definitely not great. Injuries - lack of consistent play - lack of strength etc might limit his trajectory as it has for Winslow and Okafor and Parker. But he will be a first round draft pick and make more money during a possibly short career than most Duke students will make in a lifetime
    I'd say it's kiiiind of early to say a kid is going to have a "possibly short" NBA career a full year before he even starts college.

Lively may or may not develop an effective offensive game. Of course if he does it will enhance his value in the NBA. But even if his face up game or long range shooting (at almost 7'2") never really come around, he's still going to be very valuable in the NBA. In today's game, what is most valued in guys his size is the ability to guard in space, to switch onto other guys and not get blown by, to protect the rim, and to run the floor and finish plays underneath. He appears like he's going to be able to do all of those things quite well, which is why he will be a coveted NBA prospect. Developing a reliable shot would only make him more coveted than he already will be.

I bet you're fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'd say it's kiiiind of early to say a kid is going to have a "possibly short" NBA career a full year before he even starts college.

Lively may or may not develop an effective offensive game. Of course if he does it will enhance his value in the NBA. But even if his face up game or long range shooting (at almost 7'2") never really come around, he's still going to be very valuable in the NBA. In today's game, what is most valued in guys his size is the ability to guard in space, to switch onto other guys and not get blown by, to protect the rim, and to run the floor and finish plays underneath. He appears like he's going to be able to do all of those things quite well, which is why he will be a coveted NBA prospect. Developing a reliable shot would only make him more coveted than he already will be.
    I did not mean to imply he will have a short career- but simply that stuff happens and as a result you enter the draft as soon as one can if there is even a prospect of playing the NBA because the money is crazy even for journeymen. I have not seen this kid play against big strong college players let alone pros. But if he can block shots and hit a few threes in his one year at Duke- his potential is too great to pass up even if he is just a guy off the bench the rest of his career.
    Last edited by dukelifer; 09-23-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I have wondered why I am not invited to more parties.

I’ve been wondering how and why the putdown phrase “I’ll bet you’re a lot of fun at parties” came into vogue. Was it used regularly in a popular tv show or something?

Honestly, what percentage of people are truly fun at parties? I’ll bet it’s a pretty low number. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’ve been wondering how and why the putdown phrase “I’ll bet you’re a lot of fun at parties” came into vogue. Was it used regularly in a popular tv show or something?

Honestly, what percentage of people are truly fun at parties? I’ll bet it’s a pretty low number. 😉
    I think I'm fun at parties but my wife doesn't buy into that notion.

Honestly, what percentage of people are truly fun at parties? I’ll bet it’s a pretty low number. ��

As an aside, I think "Debbie Downer" died of overuse and society needed something new.

I think that your "Injuries - lack of consistent play - lack of strength etc might limit your trajectory" of being fun at parties

parker surprised me, in that i thought he would be a real player at the next level. his game seemed lebron-like, in the sense that he was a big, strong dude who could handle, pass, rebound, and shoot. to be clear, i didn't think he'd be lebron level, but i thought his size, strength, and skillset would work well at that level.

okafor never struck me as a meaningful nba player; just one of those guys who did well at the ncaa level, sort of like he did well across the board at that point--he was just bigger than almost everyone else, and knew how to score the ball. none of that is special in the nba though.

wnslow...honestly, he always seemed like a four year player to me coming in. in hindsight, he still seems like a four year player. he was battier without the cape.

that said, good on all of them for striking when the iron was hot. sometimes the league uses you, but sometimes you use the league.

I'd say NBA comp falls somewhere between Jarret Allen and Myles Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    parker surprised me, in that i thought he would be a real player at the next level. his game seemed lebron-like, in the sense that he was a big, strong dude who could handle, pass, rebound, and shoot. to be clear, i didn't think he'd be lebron level, but i thought his size, strength, and skillset would work well at that level.
    Parker was incredibly talented. But 2 ACL tears ruined his career. He was also always out of shape. He never took care of his body as much as the next guy. May be possible that his excess fat helped to cause those ACL tears...

okafor never struck me as a meaningful nba player; just one of those guys who did well at the ncaa level, sort of like he did well across the board at that point--he was just bigger than almost everyone else, and knew how to score the ball. none of that is special in the nba though.
    Okafor could, and still can, play great offensive basketball. His problem is a) defense, b) rebounding, and c) playmaking. He can't do any of those things. Kanter, who has made a nice career in the NBA, cannot defend nor playmake. But he's a very good rebounder. Okafor just can't do any of those three.

wnslow...honestly, he always seemed like a four year player to me coming in. in hindsight, he still seems like a four year player. he was battier without the cape.

that said, good on all of them for striking when the iron was hot. sometimes the league uses you, but sometimes you use the league.
    I feel awful for Winslow. He's had a string of injuries that would make Grant Hill blush. Winslow is an exceptional defender with an improved 3pt shot and some underrated playmaking abilities. He could have been an Andre Iguadalo-type player if he remained healthy. But injuries robbed Winslow of a promising career.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-23-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

As an aside, I think "Debbie Downer" died of overuse and society needed something new.
    Ha! Made me laugh. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The more I read about Lively, the more I think a good comp for him is Mark Williams. And the more encouraged I am for Mark's NBA prospects.
    Can’t believe no one has mentioned Casey sanders. Though I’ll bet
    Lively is a step or two above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    Doesn't mean we didn't think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    Yeah? Well I was in CIS in the grad student section the night of the “Casey Sanders. Colonel Sanders.” chant. It was epic. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I think that your "Injuries - lack of consistent play - lack of strength etc might limit your trajectory" of being fun at parties
    My lack of consistent play has certainly made me below average party goer. Makes me wonder if I should have stayed in college longer than the 9 years that I did.

Reminds me of my favorite 3 years of college - my sophomore year !

The same percentage that are above average drivers?