Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I knew our recruiting would fall off once K announced his retirement.

The first player HCIW offered a scholarship. You love to see it.

Awesome news for both Mr. Lively and the Duke program...welcome aboard, Dereck!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Jon's hitting it out of the park!
    Best news of a Manic Monday! Go Jon Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    At times like these, I get a kick out of reading Rupp Rafters on the UK site. Any time we get a recruit they have targeted it’s because Duke and Nike have conspired to offer the kid more money.
    i do the same thing! sad really

Quote Originally Posted by 757Dukie View Post
    i do the same thing! sad really
    A) Sad that we check?
    B) Sad that we enjoy their reaction?
    C) Sad that they are so bitter?
    D) All of the above

It's been a COVID while since I have chimed in here...but this news has brought me out to say, "Welcome to Duke, Dereck, and..."

9F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    It's been a COVID while since I have chimed in here...but this news has brought me out to say, "Welcome to Duke, Dereck, and..."

9F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can we come up with a, perhaps, 9G, which refers to Kentucky? Just askin'.

Coach Scheyer, on fire, and proving worthy of the hire!

Welcome to Duke, Dereck! The last center from the Philly burbs got himself a chip!

welcome to the party, Pal !!

Welcome. Just welcome. Enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    A) Sad that we check?
    B) Sad that we enjoy their reaction?
    C) Sad that they are so bitter?
    D) All of the above
    b and c. i'll never apologize for enjoying another fan bases' discontent.

Crazy work evening - I completely forgot about the announcement. Just checked -what a great surprise.

Mazel tov Jon.

So was K holding JS back as a recruiter? This guy is making it look easy! Welcome Mr. Lively.
    Cal has to be sick… I finally get rid of the GOAT and now THIS!
    The ceiling is the roof

Lively looks like the perfect big for the modern game - active defender and rim protector, runs the floor, smart, not an offensive creator but can rim run and will be surrounded by shooters. Amazing job to land him amidst the coaching transition. Just last week articles were being written that UK was benefitting big time from K's announcement and would land the greatest class in college basketball history (literally, an actual national writer wrote that). Now our class is ranked #1 and we still are favored for Mitchell and maybe Starling.

It occurred to me that among the list of K's enumerable accomplishments, perhaps the biggest star on his legacy will be how well he built the program to succeed without him. This transition has gone seamlessly, from the early announcement to establishing a recruiting pitch for the upcoming class to maximizing the effectiveness of new NIL rules to allowing K to continue to be a presence while still handing over the reins. Don't discount the roles of Chris, Nolan and Amile either, they clearly are able to form a connection to the recruits as well. The way that K established the Brotherhood, built the social media platform to be the best in the country, and trained his assistants to be head coaches meant that when it was time for him to move on the program could continue without missing a beat.

Welcome, Dereck! You are going to be awesome at Duke, and with the other players already on board, y'all should also win a lot of games!

Welcome to Duke, Dereck!

I do think Bagley is probably his closest comparable in a former Duke player. But I expect Dereck will be a better defender and will knock down more jump shots.

I do get some Bagley vibes, but the scouting reports say that Lively is an elite defender, maybe the best defender in his class, and he's 7'1 with like a 7'4" wingspan. I don't think he'll match Bagley's offensive output, but he seems to have similar bounce and energy around the basket.

Loren Woods vibes for me. Maybe more athletic. Maybe even Anthony Davis vibes. The Bagley comp relates to his quickness getting off the floor but he seems to be a far better defender at a similar age. What a combo he will be with Kyle. Like pairing a Laettner with a shelden/bagley mashup. Amazing what Scheyer is doing.

No question this recruiting get is exciting and bodes well for the future of Duke basketball under Coach Scheyer.

Go Duke!!!