Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Huge pickup for Coach J!

Welcome to Duke Caleb! We love you already.
    Is it “Coach J” already? Is that a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Having grown up a big Hoosier fan, I remember Uwe actually. Didn’t remember Duke was in the mix for him.
    Blab was in the high-school class of 1981. This was K's first full class at Duke, the famous near-miss class when Duke was on the short list for Blab, Chris Mullin, Bill Wennington, Wayne Carlander, Jimmy Miller and some others and missed on them all. He ended up with Dan Meagher, Greg Wendt, Todd Anderson and Jay Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    After missing on Uwe Blab in the mid 1980s I still have doubts about Coach K's recruiting ability
    Uwe Blab — one of the funnier college basketball names I can recall hearing. You have to say it out loud to get the full effect, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I'm sold...
    Are you committing to Duke too? Welcome to Duke, gep?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Are you committing to Duke too? Welcome to Duke, gep?
    Sorry… already a few years past Social Security Retirement Age…

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Uwe Blab — one of the funnier college basketball names I can recall hearing. You have to say it out loud to get the full effect, though.
    Great name, arguably matched by the name of the high school team he played for in Illinois, the Effingham Flaming Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    After missing on Uwe Blab in the mid 1980s I still have doubts about Coach K's recruiting ability
    To be fair Detlef Schrempf was non-stop DM'ing him

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Blab was in the high-school class of 1981. This was K's first full class at Duke, the famous near-miss class when Duke was on the short list for Blab, Chris Mullin, Bill Wennington, Wayne Carlander, Jimmy Miller and some others and missed on them all. He ended up with Dan Meagher, Greg Wendt, Todd Anderson and Jay Bryan.
    Everyone loved Danny, especially after the UVA game (1984?)

Awesome news! Foster is a bigger point guard, listed at 6'5", and is known for being past first but with a great-looking jumper. He's a top 15 player in the class and one of the top point guards. What a great way to start the Class of 2023!

Berman

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    As I recall, Chris Berman referred to him as the center with the science fiction name.

Welcome to Duke and the brotherhood Caleb!
    Glad to have you on board. GTHC 💙

Very exciting!

This dude is tall. He's listed as 6'5" on 247. He's not explosive, but has a great shot and apparently very high IQ. I wonder if Scheyer told him, "you're basically me. And I have one of the highest win shares of any season in college basketball."

Great pick up, especially given our lack of guard depth in 2023 onwards.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This dude is tall. He's listed as 6'5" on 247. He's not explosive, but has a great shot and apparently very high IQ. I wonder if Scheyer told him, "you're basically me. And I have one of the highest win shares of any season in college basketball."

Great pick up, especially given our lack of guard depth in 2023 onwards.
    Also, if he is 16/17, he could Dunleavy and keep growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Also, if he is 16/17, he could Dunleavy and keep growing.
    A true 6'8" PG? A skinnier, less athletic Ben Simmons who can shoot? I'll take it!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Incredibly great news! What a perfect way to keep the momentum going with Coach Scheyer
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Spoiler alert: I enjoy sci fi dystopias.

I wonder if K would have survived the successful recruiting of, say, Blab, Mullin, and Wennington. They were very good, and Mullin was a complete star, but would K have then been able to recruit Alarie, Dawkins, Henderson, Bilas? In the era of 4-year players, stars spaced themselves out, and Alarie and Bilas, for example, would be very unlikely recruits if we already had Mullin and 2 star bigs.

If K did get those ‘81 guys, maybe he’d still have recruited Dawkins and started winning ncaa tournaments 7 years before ‘91, or maybe the next recruiting cycle yields only Jackman. Mullin, homesick, transfers back to NYC. K’s fired but lands on his feet back in Chicago, where Northwestern offers him a job. Summer 2021: K announces that Jon Scheyer—star for 1 of K’s 5 NC’s at NU—will take over as HC next season.
    Last edited by johnb; 09-17-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Welcome Caleb! Scheyer gets a 5 star point guard in the truck. He is recruiting his tail off thus far.

Foster will be the 4th Oak Hill alum ever to play Men’s Basketball at Duke by my count, joining William Avery, Nolan Smith, and Quinn Cook.

Cook played his first 3 years of high school basketball at DeMatha before transferring to Oak Hill for his senior season.

Welcome to Duke Caleb Foster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Welcome Caleb! Scheyer gets a 5 star point guard in the truck. He is recruiting his tail off thus far.

Foster will be the 4th Oak Hill alum ever to play Men’s Basketball at Duke by my count, joining William Avery, Nolan Smith, and Quinn Cook.

Cook played his first 3 years of high school basketball at DeMatha before transferring to Oak Hill for his senior season.
    I believe Harry Giles is an alum of Oak Hill too. He transferred there for his senior year, but played less than a quarter of a single game before tearing his ACL.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

In the 11 years between 2010 and 2020, Oak Hill had 60 players sign div I bball scholarships.
    https://www.oakhillhoops.com/ncaadivisioniplayers