Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post

“Everybody’s OK with Asian Americans as long as things are going well,” he told Sorkin, listing examples of anti-Asian measures in American history, “but if there’s a crisis, if there’s a pandemic, or if there’s a war or there’s an economic downturn, Asian Americans get scapegoated.”
    I wrote a paper nearly thirty years ago saying almost exactly this about the Hispanic population in the United States. Unfortunately, this is the nature of racism and the history of most of the modern world. Populations are quite tolerant of cultural differences when things are going smoothly. But in the face of difficulty, tribalism, racism, and xenophobia raise their heads far more quickly than anyone would hope.

It's easy to feel optimistic about the arc of justice when there's plenty for everyone. It's when resources get tighter that folks tend to show their less attractive prejudices.

If this is too close to PPB, feel free to delete. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with Duke basketball, but I've also tried to steer my comments away from any particular political stripe.

I wish we could get Dr Strange to cast a spell that made the entire world forget Kyrie went to Duke. I would personally love to stop remembering it anyway.

This is exactly why the flat-Earth idiocy was so dangerous. Lots of people had the opinion that while dumb, the comments didn't have much practical impact. Sadly, we now live in a time that makes crystal clear why all the anti-science stuff matters in a real way.

Reading Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in that article was a breath of fresh air, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I wish we could get Dr Strange to cast a spell that made the entire world forget Kyrie went to Duke. I would personally love to stop remembering it anyway.

This is exactly why the flat-Earth idiocy was so dangerous. Lots of people had the opinion that while dumb, the comments didn't have much practical impact. Sadly, we now live in a time that makes crystal clear why all the anti-science stuff matters in a real way.

Reading Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in that article was a breath of fresh air, at least.
    Kareem is certainly an impressive writer and thinker.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    We don't have to diminish Kyrie's on-the-court accomplishments or wish him ill to be clear-eyed about his increasing number of foolish comments and implausible explanations.

He said the earth is flat and that there are no real pictures of earth. He claims those comments were designed to promote conversation and make a point about social media (exactly what point he thought he was making is unclear) but he later told the NYT,

It seems clear to me that Kyrie thought the earth might be flat. Perhaps he still does.

He says he comments about masks were metaphorical but they were made at a time when physical masks are a major issue. Also, SI reports:

Now he's following and liking vaccine conspiracies. I suspect Kyrie will have another explanation, but isn't the most likely explanation that Kyrie is susceptible to conspiracy theories?
    Conspiratorial and anti-science beliefs often cluster together. If you believe experts are lying to you about the shape of the earth, how big a stretch is it to believe they are lying to you about the vaccine or masks? Remember the Wisconsin Pharmacist that destroyed 500 doses of the COVID vaccine in February? Also a flat earther.

Kyrie's basketball is beautiful and much of his off-the-court work is laudable. But his understanding of science is indefensible and his propensity to get drawn in by wild conspiracies is scary.
    This is how I feel about Kyrie to a T. Wish I could express it like this.

Basically, it comes down to this:

1. Kyrie is a phenomenal basketball player
    2. Kyrie often means well but his actions are usually the wrong choice
    3. Kyrie and his conspiracy theories - especially with regards to COVID and the pandemic - are so misaligned with science and the medical field

I would add that, as a Celtics fan,

4. Kyrie isn't the best teammate and can easily alienate teammates, fans, and management

I support 98%+ of Duke players. Kyrie is in that <2%. As a matter of fact, Kyrie is probably my least favorite Dukie.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

This. It is deeply disappointing.

I’m incredibly disappointed with Kyrie on the vaccine issue. That’s not only going to affect him, but also his teammates and anyone else that comes in to contact with him.

I'll echo my own disappointment and the disappointment of others again, but I have a great sense of pride that we are good enough to call out the irresponsibility of one of our own around here.

Scruples are more important than blind loyalty.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ne-requirement

Irving’s vaccinated teammates are now having to answer questions about his unvaccinated status. It can’t be a good thing for team chemistry and collective morale when one of Brooklyn’s biggest stars is not allowed to attend various team functions. If he remains unvaccinated it could disrupt team continuity, create divisiveness, and ultimately doom their season.

Plus, Irving could be putting his career and his long-term health in danger. The virus has mutated and is even more dangerous than it was before. Healthy young people are now being hospitalized, and even dying, with greater frequency than in the early stages of the pandemic. And a not-insignificant percentage of those who survive the Delta variant — both young and old — will have long-term negative effects to their health, potentially including damage to the lungs and brain.

I’m worried about Kyrie. I don’t want any harm to befall him, especially when it could have so very easily been avoided. His anti-science, fear-based stance is irresponsible to his team, to his family, and to himself. Kyrie, please GET VACCINATED.

Kyrie really, really needs to chat with NBA stars like Karl Anthony Towns, who got Covid and really suffered from it, losing 7 family members including his mother and his uncle. Or former NBAer Cedric Ceballos who spent more than 10 days in the ICU battling the disease.

Kyrie does not need a lot of folks telling him he is crazy, he needs to hear from people he knows and trusts about how dangerous this disease is and how harmful Kyrie's views are. Sadly, I think Kyrie thinks he is smarter than everyone else and is not really inclined to listen to other views. I hope K picks up the phone and gives him a call.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kyrie really, really needs to chat with NBA stars like Karl Anthony Towns, who got Covid and really suffered from it, losing 7 family members including his mother and his uncle. Or former NBAer Cedric Ceballos who spent more than 10 days in the ICU battling the disease.

Kyrie does not need a lot of folks telling him he is crazy, he needs to hear from people he knows and trusts about how dangerous this disease is and how harmful Kyrie's views are. Sadly, I think Kyrie thinks he is smarter than everyone else and is not really inclined to listen to other views. I hope K picks up the phone and gives him a call.
    Kyrie must be listening to someone. People doesn't generally form their opinions in a vacuum. My question would be, "whom does he trust that gives him his information?"

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Kyrie must be listening to someone. People doesn't generally form their opinions in a vacuum. My question would be, "whom does he trust that gives him his information?"
    He apparently (per himself on Redick's podcast) does his "research" on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He apparently (per himself on Redick's podcast) does his "research" on Instagram.
    Instagram IS peer-reviewed by the nano-second...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep.

Here is more info on that: Irving, who serves as a vice president on the executive committee of the players’ union, recently started following and liking Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims that “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect Black people to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” This Moderna microchip misinformation campaign has spread across multiple NBA locker rooms and group chats, according to several of the dozen-plus current players, Hall-of-Famers, league executives, arena workers and virologists interviewed for this story over the past week.

It's from this article: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...covid-1231988/

So it seems Kyrie certainly already has one disease - an apparently terminal case of internet induced brain worms.

Instagram huh? I guess that is a step up from Tik Tok.

Despite all the oddities, most of us have always attributed to Kyrie a decent level of intellect. I am starting to wonder whether that was misguided.

Or maybe he is like Bobby Fischer. Smart as a whip but one crazy SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sorry, but given some of the ideas he is apparently getting into (not only COVID related), this is exactly what he needs to hear. He is going to wind up in a rough place if he spends the next 30-40 years falling for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Yep.

Here is more info on that: Irving, who serves as a vice president on the executive committee of the players’ union, recently started following and liking Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims that “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect Black people to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” This Moderna microchip misinformation campaign has spread across multiple NBA locker rooms and group chats, according to several of the dozen-plus current players, Hall-of-Famers, league executives, arena workers and virologists interviewed for this story over the past week.

So it seems Kyrie certainly already has one disease - an apparently terminal case of internet induced brain worms.

He's an embarrassment, point blank, and people can stop making excuses for him and/or pointing out his allegedly redeeming factors. He's about one post away from posting a pro-Farrakhan endorsement if he hasn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Yep.

Is it time to shut down this thread? I think most of the people (or at least many people) here think that, while he is a great basketball player, he makes some very stupid and ignorant statements (and who knows if he truly believes everything he says?) and is, frankly, an embarrassment to Duke University. The only saving grace, from Duke's perspective, is that he spent only one year at Duke and I have serious questions about how many "real" courses the OAD's actually take - I view most of them as "basketball mercenaries", brought in to win games and then move on to the NBA and make millions of dollars for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    He's an embarrassment, point blank, and people can stop making excuses for him and/or pointing out his allegedly redeeming factors. He's about one post away from posting a pro-Farrakhan endorsement if he hasn't already.
    Surprising thing is that Kyrie is apparently not "corporate," in that he doesn't have other intermediaries (agents, PR firms) between his thoughts and what goes out on Twitter and other social media. This would solve a lot of problems. But, that's apparently the way he is.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Is it time to shut down this thread? I think most of the people (or at least many people) here think that, while he is a great basketball player, he makes some very stupid and ignorant statements (and who knows if he truly believes everything he says?) and is, frankly, an embarrassment to Duke University. The only saving grace, from Duke's perspective, is that he spent only one year at Duke and I have serious questions about how many "real" courses the OAD's actually take - I view most of them as "basketball mercenaries", brought in to win games and then move on to the NBA and make millions of dollars for themselves.
    No reason to shut it down, I don’t think. This is a thread about Kyrie Irving — both good and perhaps not so good. Shutting it down won’t change anything other than causing us to seek Kyrie-related info from sources who aren’t as readily found — and may not be as trustworthy — as are most DBR posters.

I’ve come across a couple of interesting articles on this thread, including one which had some strong words from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Let the thread live!

^, yes, no reason to cut short some reasonable discourse. It's something of a phenomenon, to be sure.