Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Interesting, in light of the mask comment, that this story is now out there, about Kyrie being one of the unvaccinated players in the NBA,and how that might impact him…

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nb...2021-22-season
    Okay, I think this cinches it as far my defending of Kyrie Irving goes. This is a bridge too far.

Hey, one year at Duke taking liberal arts makes you more knowledgeable than an epidemiologist or doctor or scientist. But then again, the earth is flat. And you should take your mask off. Sorry - that was a metaphor. And take time off whenever you want to - notwithstanding your job.

He simply knows better and will not be a pawn to big Pharma.

Yep - he has made it very difficult to like him.

3. A friend of mine is a smart dude: French guy running his own hedge fund. Refuses to get vaccinated. They're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    A friend of mine is a smart dude: French guy running his own hedge fund. Refuses to get vaccinated. They're out there.
    True - my post was more a jab at Kyrie than a generic criticism of those that will not get vaccinated. I do believe that there are a number of highly educated intelligent people who do not want to get vaccinated. Although my view of that decision notwithstanding their education is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Hey, one year at Duke taking liberal arts makes you more knowledgeable than an epidemiologist or doctor or scientist. But then again, the earth is flat. And you should take your mask off. Sorry - that was a metaphor. And take time off whenever you want to - notwithstanding your job.

He simply knows better and will not be a pawn to big Pharma.

Yep - he has made it very difficult to like him.
    Fair summary. I initially thought his “earth is flat” pronouncements were funny and defended him. But he continues to look foolish and he seems to play only when it suits him. Extraordinarily talented b-ball player, but his stock is dropping.

Oh God I’m vaccinated and encourage others to be too and I have defended people’s right not to also but Kyrrie needs to stop with these conspiracies

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    More on Kyrie in this piece from Rolling Stone: https://t.co/rve5IZLDeY

Trying not to kick the hornet’s nest, I’ll just say this: there’s a different between being vaccine “hesitant” and full blown conspiracy theories. It’s sad to hear Kyrie is, reportedly, using his platform to promote the latter.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

From the article:

“Irving, who serves as a vice president on the executive committee of the players’ union, recently started following and liking Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims that “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect Black people to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” “

In an attempt to be fair, Kyrie may deny this but there seems to be increasing examples of his not being an advocate of these COVID precautions (masks/vaccines). I have not been shy about the fact that I do not like Kyrie Irving. I used to love him but as time has passed I’ve increasingly grown tired of all of his shenanigans. And as each new piece of evidence mounts as to his character, I am growing to view him as a cancer on the league that should be cut out. Don’t get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But when your conduct damages the business - the analysis changes.

If my memory serves correct, he did not believe anyone should play last season. Playing in the NBA is such a remarkable privilege - not because of the fame, but because of the compensation which exceeds $50 million (endorsements included) a year in his case. He makes annually more than all inhabitants of large city buildings make in a year. With such huge compensation comes responsibility. And that responsibility is not to damage or undermine the business.

If I was an owner, I would say enough of this guy. Maybe it is time for him to retire and pursue his other interests. As he has told us repeatedly, basketball is not his primary focus. So maybe he can do us all a favour and focus on what really is important to him. Solving the world conspiracies.

From the article:

“Irving, who serves as a vice president on the executive committee of the players’ union, recently started following and liking Instagram posts from a conspiracy theorist who claims that “secret societies” are implanting vaccines in a plot to connect Black people to a master computer for “a plan of Satan.” “

In an attempt to be fair, Kyrie may deny this but there seems to be increasing examples of his not being an advocate of these COVID precautions (masks/vaccines). I have not been shy about the fact that I do not like Kyrie Irving. I used to love him but as time has passed I’ve increasingly grown tired of all of his shenanigans. And as each new piece of evidence mounts as to his character, I am growing to view him as a cancer on the league that should be cut out. Don’t get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But when your conduct damages the business - the analysis changes.

If my memory serves correct, he did not believe anyone should play last season. Playing in the NBA is such a remarkable privilege - not because of the fame, but because of the compensation which exceeds $50 million (endorsements included) a year in his case. He makes annually more than all inhabitants of large city buildings make in a year. With such huge compensation comes responsibility. And that responsibility is not to damage or undermine the business.

If I was an owner, I would say enough of this guy. Maybe it is time for him to retire and pursue his other interests. As he has told us repeatedly, basketball is not his primary focus. So maybe he can do us all a favour and focus on what really is important to him. Solving the world conspiracies.
    There is zero chance all of the owners would collectively get together and decide *not* to pay Kyrie Irving a lot of money to play basketball for their teams. I’m sure many owners think just as poorly of Kyrie (and more than a few other players) as you do, but at least one owner would always come to the conclusion that Kyrie’s value to their business outweighs any detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    There is zero chance all of the owners would collectively get together and decide *not* to pay Kyrie Irving a lot of money to play basketball for their teams. I’m sure many owners think just as poorly of Kyrie (and more than a few other players) as you do, but at least one owner would always come to the conclusion that Kyrie’s value to their business outweighs any detriment.
    Agree. That will not happen. More a rant than an expectation.

We don't have to diminish Kyrie's on-the-court accomplishments or wish him ill to be clear-eyed about his increasing number of foolish comments and implausible explanations.

He said the earth is flat and that there are no real pictures of earth. He claims those comments were designed to promote conversation and make a point about social media (exactly what point he thought he was making is unclear) but he later told the NYT,

“Can you openly admit that you know the Earth is constitutionally round?” he said to me. “Like, you know that for sure? Like, I don’t know . . . I’m not against anyone that thinks the Earth is round. I’m not against anyone that thinks it’s flat. I just love hearing the debate.”
    It seems clear to me that Kyrie thought the earth might be flat. Perhaps he still does.

He says he comments about masks were metaphorical but they were made at a time when physical masks are a major issue. Also, SI reports:

Additionally, Irving made a trip to South Dakota in August in a surprise visit to a schoolyard at a Sioux reservation where he planned to take selfies and give signatures to kids there. But in the school where all students over 12 were required to wear a mask, Irving didn't, according to Rolling Stone.

“Pretty much everyone had a mask on,” the mother of one student in attendance told Rolling Stone. “Everyone but Kyrie, everywhere he went.”
    Now he's following and liking vaccine conspiracies. I suspect Kyrie will have another explanation, but isn't the most likely explanation that Kyrie is susceptible to conspiracy theories?
    Conspiratorial and anti-science beliefs often cluster together. If you believe experts are lying to you about the shape of the earth, how big a stretch is it to believe they are lying to you about the vaccine or masks? Remember the Wisconsin Pharmacist that destroyed 500 doses of the COVID vaccine in February? Also a flat earther.

Kyrie's basketball is beautiful and much of his off-the-court work is laudable. But his understanding of science is indefensible and his propensity to get drawn in by wild conspiracies is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    We don't have to diminish Kyrie's on-the-court accomplishments or wish him ill to be clear-eyed about his increasing number of foolish comments and implausible explanations.

He said the earth is flat and that there are no real pictures of earth. He claims those comments were designed to promote conversation and make a point about social media (exactly what point he thought he was making is unclear) but he later told the NYT,

It seems clear to me that Kyrie thought the earth might be flat. Perhaps he still does.

He says he comments about masks were metaphorical but they were made at a time when physical masks are a major issue. Also, SI reports:

Now he's following and liking vaccine conspiracies. I suspect Kyrie will have another explanation, but isn't the most likely explanation that Kyrie is susceptible to conspiracy theories?
    Conspiratorial and anti-science beliefs often cluster together. If you believe experts are lying to you about the shape of the earth, how big a stretch is it to believe they are lying to you about the vaccine or masks? Remember the Wisconsin Pharmacist that destroyed 500 doses of the COVID vaccine in February? Also a flat earther.

Kyrie's basketball is beautiful and much of his off-the-court work is laudable. But his understanding of science is indefensible and his propensity to get drawn in by wild conspiracies is scary.
    Can’t spork, nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    A friend of mine is a smart dude: French guy running his own hedge fund. Refuses to get vaccinated. They're out there.
    Just because someone is French or runs their own hedge fund does not make them smart.

There are very few occupations out there where I automatically assume said person is "smart"... some of the dumbest people I ever met, I met in medical school FWIW, and those were people who had brains that could memorize and hold loads of information, but their ability for creative and critical thinking was severely underdeveloped.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Just because someone is French or runs their own hedge fund does not make them smart.

There are very few occupations out there where I automatically assume said person is "smart"... some of the dumbest people I ever met, I met in medical school FWIW, and those were people who had brains that could memorize and hold loads of information, but their ability for creative and critical thinking was severely underdeveloped.
    It goes without saying that being French does not make you smart!!!! Some people would argue it creates a rebuttable presumption that you are not smart. Sorry, I could not help myself with that one.

It goes without saying that being French does not make you smart!!!! Some people would argue it creates a rebuttable presumption that you are not smart. Sorry, I could not help myself with that one.
    But you can make a tank run in reverse.

I remember Kyrie sitting on the Duke bench for all that time, all the while he got the cream of the crop Duke doctors working on him so that he could go into the NBA and become a millionaire. And now he wants to throw shade at the same science that helped him arrived at his current station?

Just because someone is French . . . . does not make them smart.
    Au contraire, mon frère.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    But you can make a tank run in reverse.
    That is awesome!!

I remember Kyrie sitting on the Duke bench for all that time, all the while he got the cream of the crop Duke doctors working on him so that he could go into the NBA and become a millionaire. And now he wants to throw shade at the same science that helped him arrived at his current station?
    I can't believe Steve Nash,Kevin Durant or James Harden would be understanding of Irving sacrificing the Nets stability for his theories about the vaccine.

And the owners follow the science in their investments. Joseph Tsai played Lacrosse at Yale.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenb...h=7c46255f15fc
    Last edited by heyman25; 09-27-2021 at 02:21 AM. Reason: adding a thought.

Married with three children, Tsai is now a member of the American business elite but worries about rising anti-Asian-American sentiment and hate crimes, especially during the pandemic. That worry led him to help found the Asian American Foundation, which is reportedly funded with US$250 million from donors including Tsai, Yahoo’s Jerry Yang, Walmart, the Ford Foundation and Bank of America. The goal is to fight anti-Asian sentiment.

“Everybody’s OK with Asian Americans as long as things are going well,” he told Sorkin, listing examples of anti-Asian measures in American history, “but if there’s a crisis, if there’s a pandemic, or if there’s a war or there’s an economic downturn, Asian Americans get scapegoated.”