Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Given Kyrie's tweets on a flat earth, I've pretty much written him off as an internet troll.
    I empathize with Kyrie and I give him some slack although the press and twitter world are not so generous. Kyrie is still young and impressionable. The world is full of half-truths and misinformation. There's no harm in exploring different paths, even if some of them are later found to be fool-hearty. At least he is open-minded and will correct himself when the evidence comes forth.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I empathize with Kyrie and I give him some slack although the press and twitter world are not so generous. Kyrie is still young and impressionable. The world is full of half-truths and misinformation. There's no harm in exploring different paths, even if some of them are later found to be fool-hearty. At least he is open-minded and will correct himself when the evidence comes forth.
    I'm with you on Kyrie. I've never heard of him getting into trouble off the court and he's pro-Duke. Some Duke fans don't like him because he didn't play many games for Duke University and that wasn't his fault.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm with you on Kyrie. I've never heard of him getting into trouble off the court and he's pro-Duke. Some Duke fans don't like him because he didn't play many games for Duke University and that wasn't his fault.

GoDuke!
    Huh? I doubt anyone holds his short Blue Devil tenure against him. He’s just an annoying and dangerous pseudo-intellectual Internet troll. And a great basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Huh? I doubt anyone holds his short Blue Devil tenure against him. He’s just an annoying and dangerous pseudo-intellectual Internet troll. And a great basketball player.
    I think some definitely do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think some definitely do.
    Meh. There's no way to prove the negative here, that you two are incorrect in your certainty about what some uncertain but meaningful number of Duke fans--who aren't you--believe or don't believe in their heart of hearts. But I (obviously) really dislike the guy and it has zip to do with how few games he played in Durm.
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 09-20-2021 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Of course. I wasn’t being a straight edge serious as some apparently took it. Not directed at you, but some people need to take themselves a lot less seriously. I guess I will have to put wink emoji‘s behind every statement I make from now on. Getting flamed for my comment is ridiculous, imho.
    You may not have a thick enough skin the Internets, but thank you for your return reputation comment! I'll wear it as a badge of honor--though you might want to choose between complaining that negative feedback is ridiculous, or having the fun of dishing it out. Doing both is sort of silly. Peace! :-)

Meh. There's no way to prove the negative here, that you two are incorrect in your certainty that some uncertain but meaningful number of Duke fans--who aren't you--believe or don't believe in their heart of hearts. But I (obviously) really dislike the guy and it has zip to do with how few games he played in Durm.
    Of course it can't be proven. But I see more Kyrie bashing than any other Duke player. By far.

For a guy who has never had any legal issues, is one of the most talented NBA players ever to wear a Duke uniform, and who does TONS of community work and donations, it's baffling.

Of course it can't be proven. But I see more Kyrie bashing than any other Duke player. By far.

For a guy who has never had any legal issues, is one of the most talented NBA players ever to wear a Duke uniform, and who does TONS of community work and donations, it's baffling.
    Totally agree with you that he gets bashed. But I see no evidence it's from brevity at Duke, when the Internet trollery is a huge and very publicized issue for him.

Totally agree with you that he gets bashed. But I see no evidence it's from brevity at Duke, when the Internet trollery is a huge and very publicized issue for him.
    Again, I have nothing but my own suspicion.

Regardless, go Duke!

And don't drag DBR's own BREVITY into this discussion!

You may not have a thick enough skin the Internets, but thank you for your return reputation comment! I'll wear it as a badge of honor--though you might want to choose between complaining that negative feedback is ridiculous, or having the fun of dishing it out. Doing both is sort of silly. Peace! :-)
    What the heck are you talking about? You’re absolutely correct that it would be silly if I did both. But I haven’t returned your “flame” reputation comment! You need to look more closely, or someone is doctoring comments via a hack. Because I definitely didn’t do that. Feel free to take a screenshot and send it to me in a PM.

What the heck are you talking about? You’re absolutely correct that it would be silly if I did both. But I haven’t returned your “flame” comment! You need to look more closely, or someone is doctoring comments via a hack. Because I definitely didn’t do that. Feel free to take a screenshot and send it to me in a PM.
    Got a flame note with your name on it a few minutes ago.

Absolutely, 100% not me! That’s a fact!

I've flamed a total of twice in about 15 years here. It is not a power I use lightly! And never in tasteful discussion!

I've flamed a total of twice in about 15 years here. It is not a power I use lightly! And never in tasteful discussion!
    Agreed, and I did not flame him! There’s one thing I’m extremely serious about, and that’s lying. And I am not doing it. I have received far more flames than I have given out over the years.

I’m ready for the tweet with Kyrie saying “Another one” when we get a recruit.

This thread is getting weirder and weirder.

And Kyrie Irving, if you’re reading this, I think most of us on DBR still like and support you even when we mildly call you out for a crazy tweet now and again. 😊

I hope you have an INCREDIBLE season. If that means you have to beat the Celtics🍀 so be it. Just promise me you will also beat the dreaded Los Angeles Lakers (not to be confused with the Minneapolis team).

All the best, buddy!

Agreed, and I did not flame him! There’s one thing I’m extremely serious about, and that’s lying. And I am not doing it. I have received far more flames than I have given out over the years.
    This post works if you’re telling the truth or if you’re lying. Well done. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    SouthernDukie says he didn't do it and that's fine with me. Sorry for hijacking the thread (which was weird enough beforehand, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I see that now, but I really am being truthful. I did not flame anyone. Ready to move on as well.

From what I recall at the time, Kyrie was our first OAD. But when he showed up on campus, that was the plan and the coaching staff fully endorsed it (not that anyone requires K's blessing). I vaguely recall hearing about a comment by K that he would not permit Kyrie to stick around for a second year because he was too good. I also have not seen anyone criticize him for not staying at Duke past the first year. But anyone who does is doing it more out of general opposition to OAD than targeted specifically at Kyrie. I am not a huge fan of OAD but at this point, we have had ten years to make peace with it.

Unfortunately, so many conversations about all topics these days boil down to black and white, good and evil, Duke and UNC. I love watching Kyrie play. I am well aware of his work in the community and think it is spectacular. He represented Duke very well during his year in Durham. I give Duke guys the benefit of the doubt but I don't just blindly support them either.

I am all for freedom of speech and I generally feel positively about athletes using their platform to bring about positive change. But Kyrie has also had some questionable, frustrating behavior. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes in his life but someone needs to tell him that some of his behavior is taking away from the impact of all of the good he is doing. Or maybe he doesn't care.

He is in the public sphere so I am allowed to have my opinion of him. And that opinion reflects both the positives and the negatives. Just because someone comments negatively on something he says doesn't mean they totally hate him and don't appreciate the good. And just because someone comments positively on something he does doesn't mean they are ignoring the negative.