Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Kyrie on Twitter

Anyone see this?

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/stat...60955192459278

This better be a metaphor. Otherwise I’ll really disappointed. Like “done with you” disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Anyone see this?

This better be a metaphor. Otherwise I’ll really disappointed. Like “done with you” disappointed.
    Well, I guess one thing that could be said is science is less settled on the efficacy of masks than it is on the shape of the earth. But that’s an extraordinarily low bar.

As someone who has defended Kyrie many times, I am forced to assume he means some sort of metaphorical mask. A public persona? A game face?

It seems in line with his general attitude towards the universe. But I would like to hear a clarification.

Knowing Kyrie, he's happy to not offer one and let people wonder/assume.

He's on kind of a cryptic streak right now so it is hard to know how to interpret the post. Either interpretation strikes me as on brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He's on kind of a cryptic streak right now so it is hard to know how to interpret the post. Either interpretation strikes me as on brand.
    It's possible, even likely, that he doesn't know what he means.

Kyrie has so many big brain moments. When is he finishing his PHD from Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Anyone see this?

I agree. But I don't think we are going to get an answer.

Part of the reason I stay away from Twitter is that I find vague/cryptic posts really annoying, kind of like people who "vague-book" on Facebook.

Perhaps he just mistweeted while basking in getting mentioned on Ted Lasso?

I suspect Occam's Razor may apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not sure that it does. Kyrie is one non-standard fellow. There's really no telling what he is referencing.

I just was accosted in my office for not wearing a mask. Told them that Dr Kyrie Irving - a noted epidemiologist- said that it was ok. Just waiting for Dr Kyrie to confirm that vaccinations are a hoax and cash grab by big Pharma.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yeah, I’m not bending over backwards to find this as anything other than very stupid.

Any other reading would be pretty contorted, and incredibly irresponsible.

Kyrie also apparently made it known he would retire if he was traded from the nets --- and that is making news today, too.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...traded-by-nets

Maybe they're connected, who knows. For a guy who says he doesn't like the media attention, he sure knows how to generate it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, I’m not bending over backwards to find this as anything other than very stupid.

Any other reading would be pretty contorted, and incredibly irresponsible.
    Yup. So much talent. So much stupidity.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I know that neuroplasticity has its limits, but...

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kyrie has so many big brain moments. When is he finishing his PHD from Duke.
    Just wistfully wondering whether 2, 3 or 4 years of a Duke education might have boosted Kyrie's thinking skills and reduced his ignorance.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Kyrie clarifies or walks back, you decide:

“Mask off” means
    You stop being something you’re not and stop lying to yourself. It’s the moment you discover the real you and can walk around with NO FEAR in a society that shows a lot of the masks people wear to hide who they truly are.

*nothing COVID rule related!! Relax

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Just wistfully wondering whether 2, 3 or 4 years of a Duke education might have boosted Kyrie's thinking skills and reduced his ignorance.
    Older article but as far as recently heard, it hasn't changed. https://www.upmc.com/media/news/0726...cine-hesitancy

'The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a Ph.D.); by May Ph.D.’s were the most hesitant group.'

While this is about vaccines and not masks, seems pretty clear the accepted stance on this site is pro both and anyone against either is ignorant. But isn't it interesting at all that people with really high levels of education are the biggest hesitancy group? It's like the more you know maybe the less convinced you are and so the less educated was convinced more than the highest. Or maybe it's because people got so much hatred and shaming thrown at them that they just did it but PHDs aren't going to feel that same pressure when they can lean back on their education.

It's pretty disappointing here. Fans from any team if they do respectably, even UNC, can join the conversation but it's pretty clear there is now a gate being thrown down where differing opinions on vaccines and masks are not wanted and will be shamed and hated on. I'm 43 and every commercial about health products always said talk to your doctor. I drive 25 minutes to and from work and will hear three different vaccine commercials each day at least and not one says talk to your doctor. Message is clear, just do it. I got vaccinated after speaking with my doctor. I'm an introvert so lockdowns/mask mandates don't even affect me much. I'm certainly not the enemy but this disgusts me. The fact people are seen as enemies and treated with hate and like their trash is way below what I thought this site was about. Gatekeeping, hatred, name calling. https://forums.dukebasketballreport...61#post1396761

If you truly think calling people refusenik and pounding your chest wanting to gate keep them out of places will win the day, keep doing what you're doing. It seems people will dig in harder but I don't have 4 years at Duke like Kyrie so what do I know. I was just a boy who has Polish roots and in a town where the favorite jokes were 'how many Polish people does it take to' and saw a guy on TV with a hard to spell Polish name and was amazed everyone (naive of course) seemed to respect him. I didn't have the money, grades, SAT score, or the athletic ability to get into Duke. Congrats to those that were lucky enough to go. But plenty of us got to the same place as you without it so maybe drop the elite crap that 2,3,4 years of a Duke education might bring with it for some, be kind to people, maybe figure out less aggressive ways to get people to agree with your side and if it still doesn't work, treat them like a human being that they still are. Just a thought but maybe I just need my ignorance reduced.

And where I live, those opposed to vaccinations protested and harassed doctors and nurses at a major hospital. Weird - so so weird.

You may have something in common with Kyrie - he too did not have four years at Duke. Only one.

Honestly, saying something incredibly tone-deaf in an effort to sound deep strikes me as a very Kyrie thing to do. It is at least believable, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Honestly, saying something incredibly tone-deaf in an effort to sound deep strikes me as a very Kyrie thing to do. It is at least believable, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
    See my post 15. He has already tweeted a clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    See my post 15. He has already tweeted a clarification.
    So I can expect plenty of mea culpa's here? I'm not holding my breath. Admittedly, it was a goofy thing to tweet. But I certainly thought, knowing Kyrie, that it might be something beyond actual mask mandate stuff.