Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    From what I recall at the time, Kyrie was our first OAD. But when he showed up on campus, that was the plan and the coaching staff fully endorsed it (not that anyone requires K's blessing). I vaguely recall hearing about a comment by K that he would not permit Kyrie to stick around for a second year because he was too good. I also have not seen anyone criticize him for not staying at Duke past the first year. But anyone who does is doing it more out of general opposition to OAD than targeted specifically at Kyrie. I am not a huge fan of OAD but at this point, we have had ten years to make peace with it.

Unfortunately, so many conversations about all topics these days boil down to black and white, good and evil, Duke and UNC. I love watching Kyrie play. I am well aware of his work in the community and think it is spectacular. He represented Duke very well during his year in Durham. I give Duke guys the benefit of the doubt but I don't just blindly support them either.

I am all for freedom of speech and I generally feel positively about athletes using their platform to bring about positive change. But Kyrie has also had some questionable, frustrating behavior. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes in his life but someone needs to tell him that some of his behavior is taking away from the impact of all of the good he is doing. Or maybe he doesn't care.

He is in the public sphere so I am allowed to have my opinion of him. And that opinion reflects both the positives and the negatives. Just because someone comments negatively on something he says doesn't mean they totally hate him and don't appreciate the good. And just because someone comments positively on something he does doesn't mean they are ignoring the negative.
    Very well said, CNC. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    From what I recall at the time, Kyrie was our first OAD.
    Technically I believe that honor goes to Cory Maggette.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    This [Kyrie] thread is getting weirder and weirder.
    Very on-brand!

I know Kyrie can be polarizing, but please don't attack him or each other here. Take it somewhere else.

thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I see that now, but I really am being truthful. I did not flame anyone. Ready to move on as well.
    I know, just giving you some guff.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I know Kyrie can be polarizing, but please don't attack him or each other here. Take it somewhere else.

thanks,

-jk
    Perfect thread to use “polarizing”. Well done.

Agreed, and I did not flame him! There’s one thing I’m extremely serious about, and that’s lying. And I am not doing it. I have received far more flames than I have given out over the years.
    Boy was I wrong—I did get a reputation comment (a positive one, that I have since very much un-earned) and utterly misread what it was. Sorry, SD—my bad completely!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Boy was I wrong—I did get a reputation comment (a positive one, that I have since very much un-earned) and utterly misread what it was. Sorry, SD—my bad completely!
    We’re cool. Thanks.

Technically I believe that honor goes to Cory Maggette.
    Luol Deng also predates Kyrie in the OAD from Duke category.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Luol Deng also predates Kyrie in the OAD from Duke category.
    Yeah, I was gonna say….

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Kyrie clarifies or walks back, you decide:

“Mask off” means
    You stop being something you’re not and stop lying to yourself. It’s the moment you discover the real you and can walk around with NO FEAR in a society that shows a lot of the masks people wear to hide who they truly are.

*nothing COVID rule related!! Relax
    Honestly, it's gotten to the point that my heads drops and I sigh every time I see a "Kyrie said ..." headline. What now?

As to your update ... So what? In THIS TIME in history, a mask off, blah, blah, blah posting is tone deaf and irresponsible.

The damage caused by running into a crowded theater and yelling, "FIRE!" isn't mitigated by claiming afterward: "I meant people should light that fire that burns in all of us. Chillax."

Kyrie, for love of all that's holy ... shut up.jpg

or that there's a big sale

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    The damage caused by running into a crowded theater and yelling, "FIRE!" isn't mitigated by claiming afterward: "I meant people should light that fire that burns in all of us. Chillax."
    Tobias knows what you mean.

13. Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He is in the public sphere so I am allowed to have my opinion of him. And that opinion reflects both the positives and the negatives. Just because someone comments negatively on something he says doesn't mean they totally hate him and don't appreciate the good. And just because someone comments positively on something he does doesn't mean they are ignoring the negative.
    Yes but the negative comments about his Internet trolling far outweigh the positive comments about his social contributions.

What does this say about Duke fandom? That cringe comments are more notable than contributions to society?

Nevertheless it's an interesting commentary on fan values.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Yes but the negative comments about his Internet trolling far outweigh the positive comments about his social contributions.

What does this say about Duke fandom? That cringe comments are more notable than contributions to society?

Nevertheless it's an interesting commentary on fan values.
    Negative news always travels faster than positive news. We love to build up and then tear down our heroes. Kyrie should know better by now. He should get a better publicity agent.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Negative news always travels faster than positive news. We love to build up and then tear down our heroes. Kyrie should know better by now. He should get a better publicity agent.
    Even as a Kyrie supporter and defender, THAT is a job I don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    It doesn’t help that Irving presents the stuff that will draw negative attention quite readily on platforms that reach the masses almost immediately.

People would have a lot less negative to say about him if he didn’t venture so much on social media.

Interesting, in light of the mask comment, that this story is now out there, about Kyrie being one of the unvaccinated players in the NBA,and how that might impact him…

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nb...2021-22-season

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Interesting, in light of the mask comment, that this story is now out there, about Kyrie being one of the unvaccinated players in the NBA,and how that might impact him…

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nb...2021-22-season
    Being on the Nets makes it particularly impactful for Kyrie, as he theoretically can't play any home games unless he is vaccinated. I wonder if the Nets management is out knocking on a lot of doors to find a religious leader to give him an exemption.

Coincidentally, the NBA just denied Andrew Wiggins' request for religious exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Coincidentally, the NBA just denied Andrew Wiggins' request for religious exemption.
    Good.