Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I bet Kyrie listens to a lot of Vertical Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kyrie is definitely that pseudo-intellectual kid that most of us had in a Philosophy 101 class at some point. He isn't nearly as smart or clever as he thinks he is.
    I agree with you 100% that Kyrie has a very unfortunate and annoying habit of trying to sound smarter and deeper and more knowledgeable than he actually is.

But I still like him!

P.S. I hope he has a healthy and fantastically productive season. Go Kyrie!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The people who follow Kyrie on Twitless are the real dopes.
    Shots fired!

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree with you 100% that Kyrie has a very unfortunate and annoying habit of trying to sound smarter and deeper and more knowledgeable than he actually is.

But I still like him!

P.S. I hope he has a healthy and fantastically productive season. Go Kyrie!
    Good for you, Steven! Always happy to see pro Duke posters on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Good for you, Steven! Always happy to see pro Duke posters on this board.
    I think many would agree that you can be very pro Duke and not love Kyrie. The fact that he is the only Duke player that I do not have fondness for demonstrates how much I love Duke.

Like so many here, I’ve been attending games for a long time - 30 years. In many instances, the kids I love the most are the ones that were the least successful. But I also loved and still love Grant Hill and Shane Battier. Two of the best examples of Duke student athletes. Anyhow, as far as I can tell everyone on this board appears to be pro Duke. But not everyone is pro Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear Eternal Outlaw,

I'm tempted to go all out ad hominem on the basis of your moniker, but I won't, because ad hominem isn't kind, especially when it presumes the worst, it deflects from any central argument and it is usually off-base.

Rather than project onto me your distain of elitism, which I share, please note that I mentioned "Duke" simply because that is where Kyrie started college. If he had gone to any other school, I would have inserted that school. I happen to believe that college education is good for our brain and knowledge. Kyrie's attending any college for more than an effective semester may have compelled him to take such electives as geology and astronomy, making it more difficult to believe in a flat earth, or whatever. FWIW, I happen to be a big fan of Community Colleges.

Besides being unkind, ad hominem deflects from the central argument, which in my view is that we are facing a deadly, on-going pandemic. The scientific community is as united as it can be in asserting that masks and vaccines help reduce contagion, hospitalizations and deaths. I have no idea, really, of Kyrie's IQ or motives. But his statement undoubtedly gave more ammunition to those adamant against and/or hesitant about masking and vaccinations. What is also unfortunately true is that "walk backs," clarifications, whatever do not get the reach that the original statement does. I presume Kyrie is aware of this, and I wish that he would be more careful in the future, when peoples' health and lives are on the line.

Ad hominem often misses the mark because it usually projects a view rather than accurately describe the object of the ad hominem. As for me, I don't know whether I could have gotten into Duke as an UG. Doesn't matter to me. What I do know is that my father [who left our family struggling when I was five], and my uncle and grandfather all worked for Ford's in Dearborn MI. We were as lunch pail blue collar as they come. My mom worked two jobs as we were growing up so that she could hold the family together. Our vacations consisted of maybe several days at a nearby lake. I worked all through junior high, HS, college and grad school, worked every summer, all summer. Often two jobs at once, because I was dirt poor.

My professional earnings changed the economic situation of my own family. My two sons did go to Duke and I am proud of their accomplishments. I would have been equally proud of them going anywhere else. They both knew and know that their own experience was very different from my own. We had a pact: I would continue to be generous so long as they made the most of their experience and remained grateful and humble. They more than upheld their side of the bargain and I am deeply grateful.

I now teach at Duke and cannot stand any sign of elitism and smugness. But in fact so many Duke students do not conform to the negative stereotype. Many are gracious, grateful and not at all arrogant. As you know, many Duke students are on full scholarship and do not come from economically privileged backgrounds. And they are gifted, no doubt, just as there are gifted student everywhere. Before I came to teach at Duke, I taught at Armstrong Atlantic State U, in Savannah. [I had retired from management consulting, and wanted to see if I liked teaching. I did!] One of my greatest joys was to see how gifted some of the students were. I let them know that they shouldn't underestimate their abilities and their prospects. I shared some of my story. I encouraged them to not let their own background and lack of "elite credentials" constrain their vision and goals. My mission is to help us all become the best version of ourselves, and that does not include arrogance, elitism and unkindness.

My kindness extends to you, Eternal Outlaw, and I hope that it is mutual. I wish you the best!

hustleplays
    Amazing post. Sporks.

Darn. Must spread comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    I think many would agree that you can be very pro Duke and not love Kyrie. The fact that he is the only Duke player that I do not have fondness for demonstrates how much I love Duke.
    Of course. I wasn’t being a straight edge serious as some apparently took it. Not directed at you, but some people need to take themselves a lot less seriously. I guess I will have to put wink emoji‘s behind every statement I make from now on. Getting flamed for my comment is ridiculous, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Of course. I wasn’t being a straight edge serious as some apparently took it. Not directed at you, but some people need to take themselves a lot less seriously. I guess I will have to put wink emoji‘s behind every statement I make from now on. Getting flamed for my comment is ridiculous, imho.
    There was no desire to “flame“ you. But your post did have some subtle innuendo - and I politely responded. No harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    There was no desire to “flame“ you. But your post did have some subtle innuendo - and I politely responded. No harm no foul.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. You didn't "flame" me. Someone else did, via the comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear but that was in response to the people who didn't believe Kyrie's explanation.

Although to be honest, my real suspicion is that the dual meaning was on purpose (just to get people riled up, not necessarily because he is secretly anti-mask which I have no idea) and he's had this clarification tweet queued up ready to go since he made the first one.
    I could easily see that being true. But I think it's just as likely that he's simply a tone-deaf doofus who didn't think about the literal interpretation of his pseudo-intellectual metaphor. I hope it's the latter. Neither is a terribly good look, but at least the latter is less sinister.

Shots fired!

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?! 😉
    That's never been an issue for me. Saves time.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Given Kyrie's tweets on a flat earth, I've pretty much written him off as an internet troll.

For Kyrie to joke about taking his mask off is disappointing. It's inappropriate to use that kind of loaded language, then follow up with another tweet saying "Huh, you thought this tweet was about COVID? Haha. Chill y'all".

I mean, how is that funny or witty or anything?

Kyrie lost big point with me on this latest attention seeking tweet.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Kyrie lost big point with me on this latest attention seeking tweet.
    Just one?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Given Kyrie's tweets on a flat earth, I've pretty much written him off as an internet troll.
    Wait, hold up. An NC State fan is not high on a former Duke player???

I refuse to believe this. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just one?
    But it was a big one!!

Wait, hold up. An NC State fan is not high on a former Duke player???

I refuse to believe this. ��
    Don't be hating. Duke is the team that got me into college basketball and Duke hospital fix my dad's heart back in 1992. The Duke/UK game is the first basketball game I watched in a crowd (at the Camp Lejune bowling alley of all places, it was a great experience) and I fell in love with the experience of college basketball. That I became a State fan in the 1993 is widely known as one of the modern miracles.. Duke will always be my second favorite team and have a special place in my heart, even when you guys lose to UNC. Even though I identify as a State fan, I am definitely also a Duke fan. Everyone around here knows I've seldom said an unkind word about Duke, usually only shortly after y'all lost to UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Don't be hating. Duke is the team that got me into college basketball and Duke hospital fix my dad's heart back in 1992. The Duke/UK game is the first basketball game I watched in a crowd (at the Camp Lejune bowling alley of all places, it was a great experience) and I fell in love with the experience of college basketball. That I became a State fan in the 1993 is widely known as one of the modern miracles.. Duke will always be my second favorite team and have a special place in my heart, even when you guys lose to UNC. Even though I identify as a State fan, I am definitely also a Duke fan. Everyone around here knows I've seldom said an unkind word about Duke, usually only shortly after y'all lost to UNC.
    Geez, I was just playing around. I know you like Duke.

Mr. Irving can be a bit of a challenge at times, even for fans who have Duke as their first-favorite team. But he’s basically a good guy, I think. And he can do things with the basketball that I’ve never seen anyone else on the planet do. Has there ever been a better ball-handler? If so, I haven’t seen him.

Glad Duke Hospital was able to help your father. They do miracles over there.

Speaking of Kyrie, anyone catch the Ted Lasso joke?

"I like my water likes Kyrie Irving likes his earth; flat."

Oh man.

Geez, I was just playing around. I know you like Duke.

Mr. Irving can be a bit of a challenge at times, even for fans who have Duke as their first-favorite team. But he’s basically a good guy, I think. And he can do things with the basketball that I’ve never seen anyone else on the planet do. Has there ever been a better ball-handler? If so, I haven’t seen him.

Glad Duke Hospital was able to help your father. They do miracles over there.
    I get a bit defensive at times. I definitely play the part of a State fan on these boards (there are plenty of other Duke fans round here), but I'm here because I genuinely love Duke basketball...just not as much as I love State basketball.

Nice guys can still be internet trolls

I would put Pistol Pete as the best ball handler, and that was back when refs actually called a carry. I can't imagine what he'd be able to do under today's rules. You can put Kyrie second if you want.