Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Do trenches have decks?
    Good question.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    "All hands on deck in the trenches"? Do trenches have decks?
    Is that a U.S Marines reference?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That would have to include Halls.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That would have to include Halls.
    Which flavor...menthol...cherry...Montezuma?

Back to the matter at hand though. I want to see this team continue to improve in all aspects, be competitive against the Wildcats, and hopefully come out with a victory. No turnovers please!

The toughest seamen aboard steamships are the engine room firemen. Always good to have another strong fireman available when the seas are rough. If available, Smith can help us plow (plough?) through the Northwestern offensive line.

Semper Fi

Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but there is a lot of serious service, sacrifice and heroism entailed in these light hearted references to the Marines.

All hands on deck means that everyone on ship is fully ready to go, which may mean storming the beach and trying to establish defensive trenches.

Again, sorry to be heavy. But this comes from the heart.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but there is a lot of serious service, sacrifice and heroism entailed in these light hearted references to the Marines.

All hands on deck means that everyone on ship is fully ready to go, which may mean storming the beach and trying to establish defensive trenches.

Bob set us on this course, and he’s spent some time in and around boats.

-jk

Game Day Devils. Let’s go. Time to win the tailgate and then clobber the Wildcats.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I regret my post

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Bob set us on this course, and he’s spent some time in and around boats.

-jk
    Dear Bob, jk and others,

I regret my post, because it clearly implies that Bob and others were not honoring the Marines/Navy, just by using some humor. I told myself this morning, before you have to, "lighten up, dude!" When I wrote the post I was in a pensive mood, dealing with a memory. But my post came out all judgy toward you guys. Sorry.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Dear Bob, jk and others,

I regret my post, because it clearly implies that Bob and others were not honoring the Marines/Navy, just by using some humor. I told myself this morning, before you have to, "lighten up, dude!" When I wrote the post I was in a pensive mood, dealing with a memory. But my post came out all judgy toward you guys. Sorry.
    This Air Force guy sometimes struggles with military terminology used in sports jargon. I’m less inclined to be bothered when the participants have been in uniform and seen the uncomfortable realities. In this thread, with my Navy brother, Bob, engaging in lighthearted banter, I’m good. In turn, I’ll accept any and all Air Force birthday wishes.

Hustleplays, you’re good.
    Go Duke
    35-24 Duke

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Go Duke...35-24 Duke
    I think NW wins this game on both lines, but their fans seem to have no confidence in any facet of the game. Any outcome and margin would not surprise me.

Tongue-in-Cheek View: John O'Neill 24, Duke -10, repeat the L (John O'Neill is the B10 crew chief from Chicago that draw this game in Durham all the time. He's generally respected, but I haven't found him in today's box scores yet. He's not why we lost the other games in Durham. Hence, TIC.)

Not Tongue-in-Cheek: NW 28, Duke 10.

My point was that the Marines would be the one branch of the military that, at different times, could be on deck and then fighting in trenches. Which was the mixed metaphor we were working with.

I think we all recognize and honor the service, sacrifice and heroism of the United States Marine Corps.

My point was that the Marines would be the one branch of the military that, at different times, could be on deck and then fighting in trenches. Which was the mixed metaphor we were working with.

I think we all recognize and honor the service, sacrifice and heroism of the United States Marine Corps.
    I agree.

As a former Marine I find this discussion to be rather banal. Semper Fi.

I’ll never understand why home teams in the South opt to wear dark uniforms for home day games in September/October.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I’ll never understand why home teams in the South opt to wear dark uniforms for home day games in September/October.
    it's not all that hot out after a storm came through an hour ago, or really in general. max i saw was mid to high 80s. with modern high tech fabrics, the color doesn't make so much of a difference as it might have with older fabrics which didn't dissipate heat as well.

we'll see if tonight's beef stew is lucky or not. The new chair has been revealed as being not lucky, so far anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's not all that hot out after a storm came through an hour ago, or really in general. max i saw was mid to high 80s. with modern high tech fabrics, the color doesn't make so much of a difference as it might have with older fabrics which didn't dissipate heat as well.
    Home Blue in the parking lot and staying hydrated with Rum Swizzles makes it seem like it’s 65 and sunny.

Have met a bunch of Northwestern fans and they’re so much more personable than the cretins from Bishop Sycamore tarheels

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Home Blue in the parking lot and staying hydrated with Rum Swizzles makes it seem like it’s 65 and sunny.

Have met a bunch of Northwestern fans and they’re so much more personable than the cretins from Bishop Sycamore tarheels
    we've gone NW games there in Evanston, and the fans are very much the way I (like to) view Duke fans: hospitable, good humored. A very nice environment.