Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Yes, it was faster at the stands under the tower. Lines are more organized, with crowd-control “rope” the keeps the lines more compact as they’re single lines instead of three of four per stand. The concourse is kept clear for walking. Payment is much quicker, the electronic payment is just about instant. Admittedly, there wasn’t much of a crowd, but far better than the experience in the past with similarly sized crowds.
    yeah. it seemeed the people behind the counter were somewhat better organized/trained. It wasn't as effective as some major stadia one might go to, as I think people weren't as fast punching the right buttons on the screen, but it was clearly more effective than previous.

Even at halftime when the lines ballooned a bit, they were still moving.

The biggest problem I had, actually, was people asking me where to get specific items (coffee, bojangles, sweet tea...). I have no idea.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Yes, it was faster at the stands under the tower. Lines are more organized, with crowd-control “rope” the keeps the lines more compact as they’re single lines instead of three of four per stand. The concourse is kept clear for walking. Payment is much quicker, the electronic payment is just about instant. Admittedly, there wasn’t much of a crowd, but far better than the experience in the past with similarly sized crowds.
    hey, that's encouraging...if The Corvid ever lets me visit again, I'll give them a try.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah. it seemeed the people behind the counter were somewhat better organized/trained. It wasn't as effective as some major stadia one might go to, as I think people weren't as fast punching the right buttons on the screen, but it was clearly more effective than previous.

Even at halftime when the lines ballooned a bit, they were still moving.

The biggest problem I had, actually, was people asking me where to get specific items (coffee, bojangles, sweet tea...). I have no idea.
    So, where is Bo’s?

A tip to those in the end zone - go further towards the south end of the tower, the stands are less crowded. The ones at the north end (closed end of the horseshoe) are the ones closest to the GA ‘and student sections.

There’s still the same volunteer groups behind the counters, but as you said were a bit more organized.

I would love a “drink only” stand somewhere under the tower; needed in past years but probably not this year with the lesser likelihood of large crowds. Our in-conference home games are not going to draw a large number of traveling fans as would VT, UNCheat or even Wake/UVA.

Northwestern Gift

Well, us beating Northwestern didn't stop the Ryan's from donating a record $480M (!!!) to NU to redevelop the football stadium that is ALREADY named after them. (Note: not all the money is going to football; most of it is going to the med school to fund research as well as supporting programs in the B-school).
    https://apnews.com/article/sports-sc...9d2911293bcd3f

Has Duke ever received a gift THAT large? That is humongous...

Edit: I see $100M from the Duke Endowment being the largest. I wonder what the largest one-time gift from an individual is.
    https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...half-100m-gift
    Duke also did get $260M from the sale of Lord Corp.
    https://www.wfdd.org/story/duke-univ...1b-dollar-gift

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, us beating Northwestern didn't stop the Ryan's from donating a record $480M (!!!) to NU to redevelop the football stadium that is ALREADY named after them. (Note: not all the money is going to football; most of it is going to the med school to fund research as well as supporting programs in the B-school).
    https://apnews.com/article/sports-sc...9d2911293bcd3f

Has Duke ever received a gift THAT large? That is humongous...

Edit: I see $100M from the Duke Endowment being the largest. I wonder what the largest one-time gift from an individual is.
    https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...half-100m-gift
    Duke also did get $260M from the sale of Lord Corp.
    https://www.wfdd.org/story/duke-univ...1b-dollar-gift
    May be time for you to send a note to Melinda Gates and Dave Rubenstein...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    May be time for you to send a note to Melinda Gates and Dave Rubenstein...
    Bruce Karsh is another major individual donor.
    The Karshes have given over $100 million to Duke University, almost all of which went to undergraduate financial aid. This included $12 million in 2005, $20 million in 2008, and $50 million in 2011 ($30 million for U.S. students and $20 million for international students).

Jeff Vinik
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa-...rsity/1229035/

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Bruce Karsh is another major individual donor.
    The Karshes have given over $100 million to Duke University, almost all of which went to undergraduate financial aid. This included $12 million in 2005, $20 million in 2008, and $50 million in 2011 ($30 million for U.S. students and $20 million for international students).

Jeff Vinik
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa-...rsity/1229035/
    Great gifts to a school the size of Duke... now imagine what gifts like that can do for a school that only has 1200 students? Here is the must-read story of Haverford College alumnus Howard Lutnick, among the most generous people I have ever heard of: https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/a...alum-is-r.html

Howard Lutnick has had his share of trials. He lost his mother to cancer when he was in high school. His father, who also got cancer, died from an overdose of chemotherapy when Lutnick was in his first days as a freshman at Haverford College, the prestigious liberal arts college in suburban Philadelphia.

Lutnick was hit hard. But he received a call from Robert Stephens, then president at Haverford, who told him that his four years at the school would be free. Yes, Lutnick didn't have to pay a dime for his tuition.

As a point of comparsion and illustration of how remarkable Haverford's gesture was, Lutnick's sister Edie was told by the University of Rhode Island that if she couldn't afford to pay tuition, she should become a waitress.

But remember, Haverford is a school with Quaker roots, that even to this day makes its honor code a centerpiece of college life. Students often take tests without proctors and serve as enforcers and regulators of the code. Lutnick wasn't even at Haverford a month before his school made good on its lofty ideals.

Fast forward several decades: Should it be a surprise that the 53-year-old is now Haverford's largest donor, recently giving an additional $25 million to his alma mater?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If his sister became a waitress, I bet it wasn't for long.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ concerning the bubble screens, I agree. Just wait and see, when we play teams with quicker cornerbacks, someone is going to anticipate that (because we do it so often) and that's not a good thing.
    Good call budwom. 1st Quarter against Kansas it happens. We're lucky it was not a Pick 6!

Impressed with Gunnar’s ability to track down a defensive back even though it was Kansas. Couldn’t see Brice doing that.