Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 330
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Do trenches have decks?
    Good question.
    Bob Green

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    "All hands on deck in the trenches"? Do trenches have decks?
    Is that a U.S Marines reference?

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Is that a U.S Marines reference?
    That would have to include Halls.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The 'burbs of Cary
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That would have to include Halls.
    Which flavor...menthol...cherry...Montezuma?

    Back to the matter at hand though. I want to see this team continue to improve in all aspects, be competitive against the Wildcats, and hopefully come out with a victory. No turnovers please!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    The toughest seamen aboard steamships are the engine room firemen. Always good to have another strong fireman available when the seas are rough. If available, Smith can help us plow (plough?) through the Northwestern offensive line.

  6. #46

    Semper Fi

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Is that a U.S Marines reference?
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but there is a lot of serious service, sacrifice and heroism entailed in these light hearted references to the Marines.

    All hands on deck means that everyone on ship is fully ready to go, which may mean storming the beach and trying to establish defensive trenches.

    Again, sorry to be heavy. But this comes from the heart.
    I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much youre up by or how much youre down by, always playing hard. -- Zion

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but there is a lot of serious service, sacrifice and heroism entailed in these light hearted references to the Marines.

    All hands on deck means that everyone on ship is fully ready to go, which may mean storming the beach and trying to establish defensive trenches.

    Again, sorry to be heavy. But this comes from the heart.
    Bob set us on this course, and hes spent some time in and around boats.

    -jk

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Game Day Devils. Lets go. Time to win the tailgate and then clobber the Wildcats.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  9. #49

  10. #50

    I regret my post

    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Bob set us on this course, and hes spent some time in and around boats.

    -jk
    Dear Bob, jk and others,

    I regret my post, because it clearly implies that Bob and others were not honoring the Marines/Navy, just by using some humor. I told myself this morning, before you have to, "lighten up, dude!" When I wrote the post I was in a pensive mood, dealing with a memory. But my post came out all judgy toward you guys. Sorry.
    I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much youre up by or how much youre down by, always playing hard. -- Zion

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N. Charleston, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear Bob, jk and others,

    I regret my post, because it clearly implies that Bob and others were not honoring the Marines/Navy, just by using some humor. I told myself this morning, before you have to, "lighten up, dude!" When I wrote the post I was in a pensive mood, dealing with a memory. But my post came out all judgy toward you guys. Sorry.
    This Air Force guy sometimes struggles with military terminology used in sports jargon. Im less inclined to be bothered when the participants have been in uniform and seen the uncomfortable realities. In this thread, with my Navy brother, Bob, engaging in lighthearted banter, Im good. In turn, Ill accept any and all Air Force birthday wishes.

    Hustleplays, youre good.
    Go Duke
    35-24 Duke

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Go Duke...35-24 Duke
    I think NW wins this game on both lines, but their fans seem to have no confidence in any facet of the game. Any outcome and margin would not surprise me.

    Tongue-in-Cheek View: John O'Neill 24, Duke -10, repeat the L (John O'Neill is the B10 crew chief from Chicago that draw this game in Durham all the time. He's generally respected, but I haven't found him in today's box scores yet. He's not why we lost the other games in Durham. Hence, TIC.)

    Not Tongue-in-Cheek: NW 28, Duke 10.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but there is a lot of serious service, sacrifice and heroism entailed in these light hearted references to the Marines.

    All hands on deck means that everyone on ship is fully ready to go, which may mean storming the beach and trying to establish defensive trenches.

    Again, sorry to be heavy. But this comes from the heart.
    My point was that the Marines would be the one branch of the military that, at different times, could be on deck and then fighting in trenches. Which was the mixed metaphor we were working with.

    I think we all recognize and honor the service, sacrifice and heroism of the United States Marine Corps.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My point was that the Marines would be the one branch of the military that, at different times, could be on deck and then fighting in trenches. Which was the mixed metaphor we were working with.

    I think we all recognize and honor the service, sacrifice and heroism of the United States Marine Corps.
    I agree.
    I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much youre up by or how much youre down by, always playing hard. -- Zion

  15. #55
    As a former Marine I find this discussion to be rather banal. Semper Fi.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Ill never understand why home teams in the South opt to wear dark uniforms for home day games in September/October.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Ill never understand why home teams in the South opt to wear dark uniforms for home day games in September/October.
    it's not all that hot out after a storm came through an hour ago, or really in general. max i saw was mid to high 80s. with modern high tech fabrics, the color doesn't make so much of a difference as it might have with older fabrics which didn't dissipate heat as well.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    we'll see if tonight's beef stew is lucky or not. The new chair has been revealed as being not lucky, so far anyway.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N. Charleston, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's not all that hot out after a storm came through an hour ago, or really in general. max i saw was mid to high 80s. with modern high tech fabrics, the color doesn't make so much of a difference as it might have with older fabrics which didn't dissipate heat as well.
    Home Blue in the parking lot and staying hydrated with Rum Swizzles makes it seem like its 65 and sunny.

    Have met a bunch of Northwestern fans and theyre so much more personable than the cretins from Bishop Sycamore tarheels

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Home Blue in the parking lot and staying hydrated with Rum Swizzles makes it seem like its 65 and sunny.

    Have met a bunch of Northwestern fans and theyre so much more personable than the cretins from Bishop Sycamore tarheels
    we've gone NW games there in Evanston, and the fans are very much the way I (like to) view Duke fans: hospitable, good humored. A very nice environment.

Similar Threads

  1. FB: Duke 21, Northwestern 7
    By OldPhiKap in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 263
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 05:45 PM
  2. FB: Duke 41, Northwestern 17
    By OldPhiKap in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM
  3. FB: Duke 13, Northwestern 24
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 09-21-2016, 01:10 PM
  4. FB: Duke vs. Northwestern 9/19 12:30 EDT
    By Henderson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 05:07 PM
  5. Duke 20, Northwestern 14
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •