Will Riley Leonard Play Basketball???

Does anyone know if there are plans for freshman backup QB Riley Leonard to play basketball at Duke in the future? He had several mid-major offers to play basketball and was one of the finalists for 3-A state Player of the Year in Alabama. While I certainly would not expect him to be a regular in the rotation, he seems like a guy who could provide some solid depth in the backcourt in the future, especially if there are injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    Does anyone know if there are plans for freshman backup QB Riley Leonard to play basketball at Duke in the future? He had several mid-major offers to play basketball and was one of the finalists for 3-A state Player of the Year in Alabama. While I certainly would not expect him to be a regular in the rotation, he seems like a guy who could provide some solid depth in the backcourt in the future, especially if there are injuries.
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was a rule that you could only play the sport of your scholarship offer for the first 1 or 2. Something like that. The old Bear Bryant rule, where he used to recruit over the football limit by giving kids track and field scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was a rule that you could only play the sport of your scholarship offer for the first 1 or 2. Something like that. The old Bear Bryant rule, where he used to recruit over the football limit by giving kids track and field scholarships.
    Reggie Love played basketball and football as a freshman I believe. What you're calling out as it relates to scholarships counting though is accurate in that it counts against football over any other sport (there's an established order) no matter what. I don't think there is any year by year playing restrictions though just what program the scholarship counts against as long as it's in place.

I believe that rule was to prevent Bama football from hiding recruited players on other sports teams...Leonard has a football scholarship, so I believe he could play hoops.
    Having said that, football coaches don't like that as the player probably won't be available for Spring practice.

The NCAA has said for a long time said that if you play football, your scholarship counts against the football limit (85). Therefore, it would not count against men's hoops.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The NCAA has said for a long time said that if you play football, your scholarship counts against the football limit (85). Therefore, it would not count against men's hoops.
    So Bacot actually has a football scholarship to play B-ball. Does the rule require the Bacot’s of the world show up for football games?🤪
    This allows the Cheats to hoard more 2-stars on their b-ball roster.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    So Bacot actually has a football scholarship to play B-ball. Does the rule require the Bacot’s of the world show up for football games?🤪
    This allows the Cheats to hoard more 2-stars on their b-ball roster.
    he does?

I can't imagine a quarterback giving up spring practice to be a practice player for the basketball team, especially one who seems to have fallen behind a classmate at his position. Cut has had some sprinter types run track on occasion but they were practicing and refining a core skill.

I can't imagine a quarterback giving up spring practice to be a practice player for the basketball team, especially one who seems to have fallen behind a classmate at his position. Cut has had some sprinter types run track on occasion but they were practicing and refining a core skill.

Now Ben Frye wrestles and plays football. So, maybe that's a better example. But I'm not sure there's as much sports overlap. I'd still be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he does?
    No I was being facetious, sorry. But I could see the Cheats pulling this off to provide more b-ball depth at the expense of football.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    No I was being facetious, sorry. But I could see the Cheats pulling this off to provide more b-ball depth at the expense of football.
    these days we hardly use all the scholarhips we have...it would appear we only have nine recruited hoopsters this year on scholarship, and I know K will dole out extra as he sees fit, but we rarely need the full 13.