Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 30, Northwestern 23

Discuss this week’s game here. Northwestern opened as a two point favorite.
    Bob Green

We got no turnovers or sacks last week, really didn’t put any pressure on the QB much at all. We gave up a 12 minute drive to start the game. I fear NW will control the clock and we’ll be playing from behind all game.

I don’t see us surprising them with an on sides kick either.

Best chance? Everything goes right and we win a close one.

^ sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ sounds about right.
    So first game NW couldn’t run against Michigan State but passed the ball well. Second against weaker competition didn’t pass much and ran well. Sounds like our defense better improve against both. If Gunnar continues improving we may be okay. I’m not giving up yet on this season. I think the offense may work out pretty well. Is it just me or is our play calling improving?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Is it just me or is our play calling improving?
    I have no idea if it is play calling or execution but we successfully threw the ball downfield against A&T. Here are four examples off the top of my head:

1 and 2: In first half, two passes to Jalon Calhoun to middle of field with significant yards after catch.
    3: Pass down the sideline to Jake Bobo.
    4. Pass to Nicky Dalmolin to 1 yard line.

Can we pass downfield against a P5 defense? We will find out the next two weeks.
    Bob Green

Thanks to Jim for a recap of Cut’s presser. I thought these occurred on Tuesday’s of a Saturday game but C’est La Vie.

Of all the things that needs cleaning up, I hope to never again see the debacle wherein there were 16 defensive players on the field. Address tackling (rightfully so) all you want, but please have a chat with your defensive co-coordinators.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Thanks to Jim for a recap of Cut’s presser. I thought these occurred on Tuesday’s of a Saturday game but C’est La Vie.
    Link: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...aeo-durant-acc
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post

Duke has changed things up this season. Cut's pressers will be on Mondays. Monday is a day off for the players, so their media availabilities will be on Tuesday. Previously both were on Tuesdays. Makes it easier to divvy up reports I suppose. Then again, it adds another 50-mile round trip for yours truly.

But it's a tax deduction. So, there's that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has changed things up this season. Cut's pressers will be on Mondays. Monday is a day off for the players, so their media availabilities will be on Tuesday. Previously both were on Tuesdays. Makes it easier to divvy up reports I suppose. Then again, it adds another 50-mile round trip for yours truly.

But it's a tax deduction. So, there's that.
    I suppose that was one benefit of the Zoom pressers. Guessing that isn't an option, still?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I suppose that was one benefit of the Zoom pressers. Guessing that isn't an option, still?
    Post-games have been Zoom so far. But not the other media availabilities.

Hey, having to drive to Durham keeps out the riff-raff.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Post-games have been Zoom so far. But not the other media availabilities.

Hey, having to drive to Durham keeps out the riff-raff.
    Makes it tough for our podcast guys to attend. More grad school for Sam, Donald or Jason?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Makes it tough for our podcast guys to attend. More grad school for Sam, Donald or Jason?
    Grrrrr... I loved the Zoom access we got a year ago.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Grrrrr... I loved the Zoom access we got a year ago.
    [instigating] I think jim just called you riffraff. [/instigating]

I look at Northwestern football and wonder how they’re so much better than Duke football in terms of success in the last 15-16 years. The schools are similar. Both are private schools. Northwestern had a student body size of 8,194 in the fall of 2020. Duke had a student body size of 6,717 in the fall of 2020. Both are elite universities that have stringent admissions standards for all students including student athletes. Both play in reasonably difficult football conferences, with the B1G arguably being tougher than the ACC recently (outside Clemson).

Northwestern since 2006 under Pat Fitzgerald:

2006 - 4-8
    2007 - 6-6
    2008 - 9-4; lost in the Alamo Bowl
    2009 - 8-5; lost in the Outback Bowl
    2010 - 7-6; lost in the TicketCity Bowl
    2011 - 6-7; lost in the Meineke Car Care Bowl
    2012 - 10-3; won the Gator Bowl
    2013 - 5-7
    2014 - 5-7
    2015 - 10-3; lost in the Outback Bowl
    2016 - 7-6; won the Pinstripe Bowl
    2017 - 10-3; won the Music City Bowl
    2018 - 9-5; won the Holiday Bowl
    2019 - 3-9
    2020 - 7-2; won the Citrus Bowl
    2021 - 1-1

Fitzgerald is 107-82 overall, 63-61 in the B1G, and 5-5 in bowls at Northwestern.

Cutcliffe is 75-89 overall at Duke and 35-71 in the ACC since 2008 and 3-3 in bowls. In 2006, Duke was 0-12 under Ted Roof. In 2007, Duke was 1-11 under Ted Roof.

Fitzgerald has 2 B1G west championships and Cutcliffe has 1 ACC Coastal championship.

How is Northwestern winning at a higher clip than Duke? Bigger city to recruit kids to in Evanston/greater Chicago area? Seems they are recruiting similar types of kids.

Football is life in the Midwest. Makes it much easier to sustain a program.

we went up there a few years ago with Jones at QB and throttled them (way worse than the 21-7? score)...we can be competitive with them and have been in the past...our program has taken a nose dive, theirs hasn't.

I recall years ago going to NW and before we could find the ticket window, people just gave us tickets (nice fans up there).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Football is life in the Midwest. Makes it much easier to sustain a program.
    1. Both schools recruit nationally (though admittedly the bulk of the players come from nearby)
    2. The southeast is not exactly chopped liver when it comes to football talent

Northwestern was able to get one of the best players in school history to become head coach. They took a chance hiring him at a young age (31 - he is only 46 now). As a former star player, he believed in what he was selling and had youthful enthusiasm, charisma and brains to back it up. I believe they got some donors to invest in the program. And he has been able to sustain at least decent results so as to maintain recruiting and not get into a death spiral of mediocrity.

I am not familiar enough with the program to know about their assistant coaches, which I think we all agree is key to the success and lack thereof for Duke. Doing some quick googling, it looks like they had the same DC for 12 years until he retired before this season - that likely helped.

From what I have heard, they have also found a way to balance drawing fans of other teams (since there are tons of grads of all Big 10 schools in Chicago) so the stadium doesn't feel empty without making home games feel like away games.

You're focused on recruiting. I'm talking about building a successful program. It is much easier to get random people to turn out for any random football game there than it is in North Carolina. I've lived in both areas, and IMO there is no comparison between football culture in the Midwest and football culture in NC, and the way that impacts building a fanbase.

I also disagree on the talent with respect to recruting, at least in the way that is relevant to these two programs. Yes, in terms of elite talent the Southeast rivals and likely surpasses the Midwest, but in terms of those mid-tier guys that fill out the rosters of average NCAA football teams the Midwest is absolutely chock full.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I look at Northwestern football and wonder how they’re so much better than Duke football in terms of success in the last 15-16 years. The schools are similar. Both are private schools. Northwestern had a student body size of 8,194 in the fall of 2020. Duke had a student body size of 6,717 in the fall of 2020. Both are elite universities that have stringent admissions standards for all students including student athletes. Both play in reasonably difficult football conferences, with the B1G arguably being tougher than the ACC recently (outside Clemson).

Northwestern since 2006 under Pat Fitzgerald:

2006 - 4-8
    2007 - 6-6
    2008 - 9-4; lost in the Alamo Bowl
    2009 - 8-5; lost in the Outback Bowl
    2010 - 7-6; lost in the TicketCity Bowl
    2011 - 6-7; lost in the Meineke Car Care Bowl
    2012 - 10-3; won the Gator Bowl
    2013 - 5-7
    2014 - 5-7
    2015 - 10-3; lost in the Outback Bowl
    2016 - 7-6; won the Pinstripe Bowl
    2017 - 10-3; won the Music City Bowl
    2018 - 9-5; won the Holiday Bowl
    2019 - 3-9
    2020 - 7-2; won the Citrus Bowl
    2021 - 1-1

Fitzgerald is 107-82 overall, 63-61 in the B1G, and 5-5 in bowls at Northwestern.

Cutcliffe is 75-89 overall at Duke and 35-71 in the ACC since 2008 and 3-3 in bowls. In 2006, Duke was 0-12 under Ted Roof. In 2007, Duke was 1-11 under Ted Roof.

Fitzgerald has 2 B1G west championships and Cutcliffe has 1 ACC Coastal championship.

How is Northwestern winning at a higher clip than Duke? Bigger city to recruit kids to in Evanston/greater Chicago area? Seems they are recruiting similar types of kids.
    I'm not sure I agree with the premise. To be sure, Duke pre-Cut was worse than Northwestern. Of course, Northwestern has also had a stretch of being the worst major conference team in the country- they won 3 games in 6 years between 1976 and 1981. The biggest difference between the two is that Northwestern started getting serious about football before Duke did. Gary Barnette took them to the Rose Bowl in the 90s, but also only managed 2 winning seasons in 7 years. Then Randy Walker then came in and did a solid job before he passed away in 2006. When Pat Fitzgerald took over, Northwestern had been to 5 bowls in the previous 11 seasons. Compare that with Cut, who inherited the worst program in the country. Since Cut's first bowl game in 2012, both Duke and NU have been to 6 bowl games in 9 years. Their highs have been a little higher, perhaps, but the two programs are pretty similar, further evidenced by the splitting of a 4 game series during from 2015-2018.

Northwestern suffered the tragic loss of their coach in 2006. From that tragedy came the perfect hire- an extremely talented coach who was both young and willing to stay for the long haul. Both Duke and NU made great hires and have had the luxury of stability over 14+ years. The biggest difference in current trajectory is that while Cut looks ready to be put out to pasture, Fitzgerald is somehow only 46.

Peebles and Holmberg talk to the press:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football
    Bob Green