Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I think this is sorta a big week for Alex. Three weeks ago he was in the mix at The Scottish Open, and while he played very well, if he had made just one short putt he would have qualified for the The Open at St. Andrews. I want him to bounce back with at least a top-20 this week.

And I'll say this now: Alex Smalley will be the best men's golfer ever produced by Duke. Maybe best golfer period.

The best thing about this prediction is that it will probably take at least 20 years to prove me wrong.
    Mike Souchak says "Hi!" 19 PGA wins. Pretty hard to predict #20 for Alex before he wins #1. But here's hoping.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Mike Souchak says "Hi!" 19 PGA wins. Pretty hard to predict #20 for Alex before he wins #1. But here's hoping.
    Oops, you got me there. Was unfamiliar with him. But a far different era. The vast majority of his wins were before Jack even played (and before I was born, so do they really count? ).

So Alex has a much steeper hill to climb than I thought. I'll still hold out hope for him.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Alex goes 3-over on the back to finish +1. The cut will be at least -3, probably -4, so he has a lot of work to do tomorrow.

Kevin not much better, E with a few holes left.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Alex goes 3-over on the back to finish +1. The cut will be at least -3, probably -4, so he has a lot of work to do tomorrow.

Kevin not much better, E with a few holes left.
    Streels finishes at -1, T-71, just outside the cut line of top 65 and ties, I believe.

PGATour.com claims Souchak won 15, not 19. It is debatable that Art Wall Jr. might edge him as the current Duke men's golf GOAT as a professional, as he had 14 PGA wins including a Masters in 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    PGATour.com claims Souchak won 15, not 19. It is debatable that Art Wall Jr. might edge him as the current Duke men's golf GOAT as a professional, as he had 14 PGA wins including a Masters in 1959.
    Art Wall also made 46 aces in his life, which is pretty remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Yep, 15. I misread the Wikipedia article. Art Wall, Jr. gets a ton of credit -- I would love to see Alex do better than both.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'OTOH, I had cataract surgery yesterday, so there is a little uncertainty in what I am actually reading or typing'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Art Wall also made 46 aces in his life, which is pretty remarkable.
    We (the DBR bulletin board) have a former poster who was Art Wall’s relative. She hasn’t posted in years.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Alex goes -2 today to finish -1 for the tournament and will miss the cut.

He is safely in the playoffs but is near the edge to make the 2nd weekend. He needs strong play next week (at a hometown course in Greensboro so I expect good results) and the following week in the 1st round.

Terrific birdie,birdie finish by Kevin Streelman to pretty much assure play into the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    Terrific birdie,birdie finish by Kevin Streelman to pretty much assure play into the weekend.
    Video clip of Streelman sinking his birdie on 17 from 18 feet:

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2022/0...cket-mort.html
    Bob Green

Smalley, Streelman, and Long all teed up for the Wyndham Championship next week, last tournament of the regular season. All are safely in the playoffs, but all are also hanging around 70th place in points, the measuring stick for making the 2nd weekend. Points becoming precious.

Yep, 15. I misread the Wikipedia article. Art Wall, Jr. gets a ton of credit -- I would love to see Alex do better than both.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'OTOH, I had cataract surgery yesterday, so there is a little uncertainty in what I am actually reading or typing'
    Be well. That damn age thing again. 😡

Kevin Streelman tees off #1 at 09:45 EDT.
    Bob Green

Celine Boutier

Celine making a run in the current LPGA event on the Golf Channel - Scottish Open. On the back nine and tied for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Celine making a run in the current LPGA event on the Golf Channel - Scottish Open. On the back nine and tied for the lead.
    Celine at -15 tied with Lydia Ko for the lead after 3 rounds. Tight leaderboard with 2 others one back.

Kevin Streelman shot a bogey-free 69 (-3) and is T-42.

Kevin Streelman tees off #1 at 10:20 EDT. He is T40 headed into today’s final round.
    Bob Green

Smalley, Streelman, and Long all teed up for the Wyndham Championship next week, last tournament of the regular season. All are safely in the playoffs, but all are also hanging around 70th place in points, the measuring stick for making the 2nd weekend. Points becoming precious.
    Going into the Wyndham Alex is #67, Adam is #76, and Kevin is #85 in the FedExCup race.

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    Going into the Wyndham Alex is #67, Adam is #76, and Kevin is #85 in the FedExCup race.
    Quinn Riley is currently playing the Monday Qualifier for the Wyndham. He had a 10th-tee start, and made the turn at +2. He'll likely need to catch a heater on his second nine (the easier of the two nines at Bermuda Run East, IMO), as only four players qualify (not sure about ties) and the current "cut" at this very moment is -2 (but with LOTS of first-nine scores still to come through).
    Last edited by Tripping William; 08-01-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."