Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Ugly racist incident at Duke vs. BYU volleyball match

I did not watch last night’s loss to BYU. The game was in Provo, and there were apparently some issues with crowd behavior. Expect both programs and coaches to be in the news as this account spreads on Twitter. It should have been nipped in the bud as soon as it started.

The parents of the Duke player who was targeted are going to talk to Nina King.

https://twitter.com/lesapamplin/stat...IDkGPEL_qtgwvw

Yes, I just saw this on Twitter and came here asap to see if there was further info. Disturbing, to put it mildly!

Under those circumstances, I would have very much been in favor of Duke simply leaving the court and refusing to play until the offender (or offenders, if multiple) was removed.

It’s just disgusting that people feel empowered to act that way

There is a lot of racism along with a lot of plain stupidity in this World. Shameful, disgusting behavior.
    Bob Green

We need to hear from our coach and AD ASAP.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I just saw this on Twitter but can’t find it online (quick search admittedly) which seems a bit odd - https://twitter.com/byucougars/statu...Ww9CyWo-ej4Nxg - a statement from BYU Athletics.

Was there not one single adult present with the guts to demand that something be done immediately? I'm looking at BYU staff, Duke staff, stadium staff, anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Was there not one single adult present with the guts to demand that something be done immediately? I'm looking at BYU staff, Duke staff, stadium staff, anybody.
    My question also.

Thanks Bob. That's a start.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Precisely!!

This will be the subject of a fact finding mission by our AD. Jumping to conclusions without the facts will not help IMHO.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 08-27-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Local article: https://www.ksl.com/article/50465075...leyball-player

The Duke coaches should have taken a stronger stance during the contest. A walkout/refusal to play would have been entirely appropriate. There are plenty of folks on Twitter asking why the Duke coaches did not do more.

But BYU should be truly ashamed. If a Duke fan did this and our school did not respond to it forcefully, I would call on the school to forfeit the contest. The fan in question has been banned from attending games but it feels like BYU needs to do more. We cannot tolerate this kind of behavior in modern society. Just reprehensible.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Nina’s statement that these were “unfortunate circumstances”
    is weak. If the facts are as we’ve read, this is out and out racism, condoned by BYU by its inaction, and should be called out as such. Strongly. Now. We should never voluntarily play BYU again in any sport until we are satisfied there has been accountability here.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    This will be the subject of a fact finding mission by our AD. Jumping to conclusions without the facts will not help IMHO.
    I mean, the game should have been stopped. Not much fact finding needed to support that.. Unless the Duke team is telling a lie which I very much doubt.

Hard one to evaluate for me. Other than the bus remark, which was indefensible, I can't tell what racial abuse/name calling that this guy was engaged in.

It's probably not appropriate to report his name calling/abuse more specifically.

I'm sorry for the Duke player if she was verbally abused.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Hard one to evaluate for me. Other than the bus remark, which was indefensible, I can't tell what racial abuse/name calling that this guy was engaged in.

It's probably not appropriate to report his name calling/abuse more specifically.

I'm sorry for the Duke player if she was verbally abused.
    The twitter cited by the OP indicated that the "N" word was used repeatedly. That absolutely should not have been tolerated in the moment. If confirmed, I don't understand why they Duke team remained on the court. Take an immediate stand - it won't be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Nina’s statement that these were “unfortunate circumstances”
    is weak. If the facts are as we’ve read, this is out and out racism, condoned by BYU by its inaction, and should be called out as such. Strongly. Now. We should never voluntarily play BYU again in any sport until we are satisfied there has been accountability here.
    I underlined and highlighted the reason Nina's response is tepid so far. We have an accusation (which I personally 100000000000% believe) that has yet to be fully substantiated. Once it is substantiated, she'll be more aggressive.

Utah fans - at least a vocal few and a silent few more - do not seem to comport themselves well. Teams visiting the Jazz have had some issues, too.

Funny thing, living in a demographically monolithic area, that breeds the courage to yell racial slurs at a visiting team. Take that kid to a basketball game in Philly and see if s/he stills has the gumption.