Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Unless it's 100 degrees out, that shouldn't be a problem at 40psi on 44psi max tires. Tire pressure due to friction on an average day increases only about 5%, according to my car's sensors, anyway. I checked periodically while in motion over a 2.5 hour trip and found that the pressure rose during the first 45 minutes or so, and then just mostly held steady. I measured on an afternoon that was mostly sunny and in the low 80s. Granted, n=1.

The biggest problem I've had with over-inflation is cup wear on the tires. Even with regular rotation, I've found it hard to avoid when running at 40psi. I've pulled my tires back to 38, which seems to still confer a slight mileage advantage, but greatly lessens the noisy tire wear problem. I like the road feel better at this pressure, too. The recommended pressures almost always just feel squishy to me.
    Well, my Michelins have an explicit warning not to exceed 40psi, so I wouldn't feel good about 44 psi at all...I'm sure it varies by tire. I agree about squishiness, my basic tire recommendation from Volvo is 30psi, but with a heavy load they say 38 psi is fine, so I find 35 psi is about right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... my basic ... recommendation from Volvo is 30psi, but with a heavy load they say 38 psi is fine, so I find 35 psi is about right for me.
    I didn't realize that tank treads needed air...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I didn't realize that tank treads needed air...
    you have to be ready for the icky Norwegians.