R.I.P Gene Littles

Some of you may recall Gene Littles, all-time leading scorer at High Point College, long before it became a university. He passed away a couple of days ago at age 78 following a battle with cancer. He played for the ABA's Carolina Cougars and later coached briefly at NC A&T, and in the NBA with the Hornets, Cavaliers, and Nuggets. He lived outside Phoenix following his coaching career.

I never met Gene, but he was married to my brother-in-law's sister (aka my sister-in-law's sister-in-law). Here's a link to the only relevant article I've see online - https://greensborosports.com/2021/09...-gene-littles/. You may want to put on some sunglasses before opening the link.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Some of you may recall Gene Littles, all-time leading scorer at High Point College, long before it became a university. He passed away a couple of days ago at age 78 following a battle with cancer. He played for the ABA's Carolina Cougars and later coached briefly at NC A&T, and in the NBA with the Hornets, Cavaliers, and Nuggets. He lived outside Phoenix following his coaching career.

I never met Gene, but he was married to my brother-in-law's sister (aka my sister-in-law's sister-in-law). Here's a link to the only relevant article I've see online - https://greensborosports.com/2021/09...-gene-littles/. You may want to put on some sunglasses before opening the link.
    Good story. My father guarded him in college and always told people he held him 1 point below his season average. Which is true. What he doesn't share is that he only guarded him the first half.

I saw him play for both High Point College and the Carolina Cougars. He was a star in the old Carolinas Conference at a time when a few more high-quality players still roamed the small-college scene. He was a quiet guy, and had a personality not unlike Johnny Dawkins'. He wasn't quite as athletic as Johnny, but was a heckuva player.

RIP, Geno. I was a big fan.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!