View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 boxoffice winners of winter?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venom: Let There Be Carnage

12 42.86%
  • James Bond: No Time to Die

14 50.00%
  • Dune

16 57.14%
  • Eternals

16 57.14%
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife

9 32.14%
  • Encanto

8 28.57%
  • Spider-man: No Way Home

27 96.43%
  • Sing 2

11 39.29%
  • Matrix: Resurrections

15 53.57%
  • Morbius

1 3.57%
  • Uncharted

1 3.57%
  • Other (field)

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    In other news, Vemon 2 pulled in $90 million laying down a strong first weekend for our contest and giving everyone else a target to aim at.

It does appear that Delta is beginning to wain in the States leading to what will hopefully be bigger box office draws as the season goes on.

I knew Venom would crush, even though it is apparently not a good movie.

The one that worries me is the Matrix. Great trailer, but will it get the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

The one that worries me is the Matrix. Great trailer, but will it get the audience?
    I voted for it, using the logic that Matrix fans and John Wick fans would both venture out to see it.

well rats - I missed my window to vote.

my 5 would have been

Venom (first had major cult following and was better than i thought it would be)

Ghostbusters (no brainer if it’s released))

Matrix (ditto, though Parts 2 and 3 are in the Top 10 Worst Sequels Ever)

Spider-man (easiest pick by far, if it’s released)

Dune (huge buzz and good early reviews)

Eternals is my dark horse. Bond won’t make it. When I was a kid, Bond movies were unique and exciting. Now, they are just like every other action movie, except slower paced.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    When I was a kid, Bond movies were unique and exciting. Now, they are just like every other action movie, except slower paced.
    Ding ding ding.

While there is great action in a current Bond movie, the (long) spots in between are mind numbing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I knew Venom would crush, even though it is apparently not a good movie.
    Spoiler-related comment about Venom, don't open unless you've seen the movie or don't care about it:

Spoiler!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So the latest Dune trailer is out, and this blurb accentuates why I didn't vote for it, even though it will probably cost me.

The film’s previous trailers introduced the epic world from Frank Herbert’s novel. They set up the main characters of House Atreides, the family’s arrival on Arrakis, and the looming conflict with the Harkonnens. Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) sits at the heart of the story as he navigates the desert world of Arrakis and its natives, the Fremen. Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation looks sweeping and grand—also action-packed. The latest Dune trailer focuses on the sci-fi film’s action.
    Booooorrrrring! I remember trying to watch the first movie, and not making it through. (I've never read the books.) I was like "bring on the worms!" and instead fell asleep waiting for them.
    Instantly I am reminded of why The Phantom Menace sucks. Because Lucas thought that bringing politics into a series about swashbuckling was a great idea, and was instantly proven wrong. Yet, of course, TPM made buckets, and so will Dune, and I'll lose.

(Smart of the Dune folks to pop out a trailer that is action packed, because it sure as hell won't be in the theaters, even though I'm sure it will be better than TPM.)
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fina...164156921.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Feeling better about my Bond omission.
    It didn’t break any pandemic or 007 records, but it didn’t fall significantly short either and is in fact the fourth-best opening in the 25-film series.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/666f...o-time-to.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Feeling better about my Bond omission.
    Bond was one I left off in favor of Sing 2. We'll just have to see. Too early to tell.

I saw in an article today that Venom dropped LOTS in the second weekend, but hopefully it has legs to keep it going.

It is hard to say if Bond is in trouble or not in our contest. $56 mil opening weekend is ok, but not a great figure for a film like this. Typically, the Bond movies have slightly longer legs than a regular action film (like Venom, for example) because they skew a little bit older and adults don't tend to be a "I must see it opening weekend" crowd. No Time To Die scored an A- cinemascore, which is pretty good and should provide some nice word of mouth. Of course, the other reason we don't have a good sense as to whether the $56 mil opening is a good or bad sign in our contest is that we really know very little about what moviegoing is going to be like this winter.

As for Venom, it dropped 64% from opening weekend to get $32 mil from its second weekend of release. That is nothing to be too concerned about considering it was up against a new tentpole in Bond. Plus, the mid-week numbers on Venom have been really good, indicating strong word of mouth. It is up to about $142 mil in total boxoffice so far and seems to be in good shape to be one of our top 5 of the season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What Peyote was I smoking when I picked Dune over Venom?!?!?!

I'll have a full review next week, but Dune is a typical Villeneuve film, gorgeous to look at but a bit inscrutable at times when it comes to the plot. Combining Villeneuve's penchant for meandering storytelling with Dune's already dense narrative structure... well, let's just say it ain't going to be a boxoffice smash.

-Jason "I really though the director of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 was going to make a commercial film?!?!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What Peyote was I smoking when I picked Dune over Venom?!?!?!

I'll have a full review next week, but Dune is a typical Villeneuve film, gorgeous to look at but a bit inscrutable at times when it comes to the plot. Combining Villeneuve's penchant for meandering storytelling with Dune's already dense narrative structure... well, let's just say it ain't going to be a boxoffice smash.

-Jason "I really though the director of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 was going to make a commercial film?!?!" Evans
    As I stated above, that's why I couldn't pick it. Die hard fans may love it, and possibly a few new viewers to the story, but I think many will be bored when there aren't action scenes going on. George Lucas showed us what happens when you try to introduce politics to an intended sci-fi blockbuster.

I might watch it later once it is streaming, over a couple nights. I really enjoyed both Arrival and Blade Runner '49, so I'm not expecting Dune to be bad, just far from top 5 worthy.

Venom up to $182 million, No Time to Die at $120 million.

Dune opened to an estimated $40 million. Well behind Venom and $15MM behind No Time to Die.

As I stated above, that's why I couldn't pick it. Die hard fans may love it, and possibly a few new viewers to the story, but I think many will be bored when there aren't action scenes going on. George Lucas showed us what happens when you try to introduce politics to an intended sci-fi blockbuster.

I might watch it later once it is streaming, over a couple nights. I really enjoyed both Arrival and Blade Runner '49, so I'm not expecting Dune to be bad, just far from top 5 worthy.
    Dune currently has a 91% user review on rotten tomatoes and and 8.3 on IMDb. So people really, really like it. The HBO same day launch seemed to really bring the numbers down. I would have for sure seen it in theaters but it’s just so much easier to select “watch” on my tv at home.

I will add that I do feel somewhat the same as CB&B. This Dune movie is A LOT of story building. I’ve never read the books and I think they did a pretty good job with helping me to understand what the heck was going on. I did have to google a few things during the movie just to make sure I completely understood. Overall, I would give it an 8/10 with hopefully the next movie being a little more action packed and plot moving.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Dune currently has a 91% user review on rotten tomatoes and and 8.3 on IMDb. So people really, really like it.
    Or at least the people that have seen it have really, really liked it. The problem is that not many people have seen it, at least the problem it has as far as our contest is concerned.
    At least more people saw it than watched The Last Duel, which is supposed to quite good, but a total failure at the box office.

(I'm 100% positive you are correct about HBO Max eating into the numbers, but I've got a suspicion that it would have still fallen short even if it weren't streaming.)

I really enjoyed The Last Duel. Kind of shocked it's doing so poorly (though it is about 30 minutes too long). Very compelling. Hard to watch sometimes, but an important story (and almost entirely historically accurate).

Seeing Dune this week. I agree that HBOMax hurt it. Lots of people I know saw it that way. Wonder if this might hurt The Matrix as well.

Or at least the people that have seen it have really, really liked it. The problem is that not many people have seen it, at least the problem it has as far as our contest is concerned.
    I mean, you typically have to watch a movie to know if you like it! We really don’t know how many people have even truly seen it, to be honest. Does HBO release numbers for streams?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Dune currently has a 91% user review on rotten tomatoes and and 8.3 on IMDb. So people really, really like it. The HBO same day launch seemed to really bring the numbers down. I would have for sure seen it in theaters but it’s just so much easier to select “watch” on my tv at home.
    Easier, but as I posted elsewhere, it really takes a theater to do it justice, IMO.