View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 boxoffice winners of winter?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venom: Let There Be Carnage

12 42.86%
  • James Bond: No Time to Die

14 50.00%
  • Dune

16 57.14%
  • Eternals

16 57.14%
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife

9 32.14%
  • Encanto

8 28.57%
  • Spider-man: No Way Home

27 96.43%
  • Sing 2

11 39.29%
  • Matrix: Resurrections

15 53.57%
  • Morbius

1 3.57%
  • Uncharted

1 3.57%
  • Other (field)

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Less than a week left and other than Spider-man (which 100% of us have picked) there is nothing else getting even 60% support. Looks like it is a really tough year to pick the winners!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It's tough, because a lot of the movies aren't "high dollar" movies.

Venom is rated R and that's going to lower it's potential, then again young males are the ones that will still brave a theater.

The Bonds have been solid consistent money makers, but they aren't mega blockbusters.

I see Ghostbusters and Matrix both in the same light. Might be good for nostalgia, but I think many will hold off given the disaster that was their most recent films. Even then, the first move in each franchise was far and away the best movie.

Sing 2 is the only family film in there (I think).

edit: Oh snap, just realized Encanto was a disney animated film. Ugh. I screwed the pooch. Always bet on Disney.

edit #2: Just watch the trailer for Encanto, maybe i'm not screwed after all. Plot looks worse than that Reya, Soul and Onward.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    edit #2: Just watch the trailer for Encanto, maybe i'm not screwed after all. Plot looks worse than that Reya, Soul and Onward.
    I very nearly left it on my cutting room floor simply from the trailer. But like you said before that, it's hard to go against Disney and kids.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ymo is the only one that picked Morbius, that surprises me. I'm always mindful of those February movies making noise, especially a Marvel one.

I left it off since I already have three on my list, but four making the top 5 wouldn't be a shock. (I also don't like Jared Leto, so I let personal bias sway me.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think Eternals, Spider Man, and Venom are basically sure things.

Only 2 days left to vote in this poll.

I'll tell all of you that I am really stuck. Here is where I am at the moment --

Spidey is a lock. We all know that. It will be the biggest movie of 2021, probably not even close.

I suspect Eternals is close to being a lock too. Marvel is a super powerful brand and if a so-so Marvel movie like Shang Chi can break records, a Marvel movie from Chrloe Zhao is going to be amazing.

I think No Time to Die is next on the "most likely" list, but this is where I start to get nervous. It is like 2:45 in running time, which will limit showings and tells me this won't be a tight film. Are folks really ready to be back in theaters for 3 hours at a time? That said, I'm hearing some good buzz about the film and there is probably some real pent up demand for a good action/spy flick as it has been a loooong time since anything like that was on the screen.

I suspect Dune will be the best blockbuster of the season (either that or Eternals) but the fact that folks can watch it at home on HBO Max could really hit the boxoffice. I mean, HBO Max has to trim at least 20% off the boxoffice take, right?

After that, we have a pair of looooong gestating sequels in Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Matrix: Resurrections. I could easily see either of these popping up to be the #2 movie of the season... or sagging to be a non-contender. They will need some word of mouth buzz to counteract the rust on these franchises. Matrix also gets dinged by the HBO Max effect.

Speaking of sequels, you'd have to be a loon not to strongly consider Sing 2 and Venom 2. The first Sing movie made $270 million and Venom made $213 million. Venom is just 90 minutes in running time, which means theaters can load up on prime time showings... like a 7pm and an 845pm. It also suggests the film will have a nice pace.

Finally, Mobius should not be counted out. Anything comic book related is boxofice gold these days and I suspect Sony will really try to tie this film to both Venom and Spider-Man, which figure to have big audiences this season.

I can make a real case for any of these and am truly torn as to which ones I am going to pick. I will vote prior to Tuesday because I am seeing screenings of Venom and No Time to Die back-to-back on Tuesday afternoon/evening.

-Jason "I could be dead wrong, but I don't get the impression that Disney is all jazzed about Encanto. Uncharted probably should not have even been included. I should have left it as fodder for the 'other' category" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Morbius looks absolutely horrible. I’m not sure how involved Sony is but I am always skeptical when it’s not pure marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Morbius looks absolutely horrible.

That's why I voted for it!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That's why I voted for it!
    It’s sad but that’s a solid strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Spidey is a lock. We all know that. It will be the biggest movie of 2021, probably not even close.
    Aimo disagrees

I voted... only about 10 hours before I see No Time to Die and Venom.

I actually found the first 4 to be pretty easy. Spider-man, No Time to Die, Eternals, and Sing 2 all feel like pretty obvious choices to me.

I hemmed and hawed over a few others before finally settling on Dune. I am really scared of the HBO Max effect here, but I suspect Dune is going to be a truly outstanding film that folks will want to see in theaters. I mean, Denis Villeneuve is a cinematic genius who creates amazing visuals (Blade Runner 2049!!) so I am counting on him driving in-theater showings. Plus, I think Dune might actually get some serious award buzz which may give it boxoffice legs through January.

I think I have only gone 5-for-5 once in the many years of doing this so my best advice would be to pick something other than the 5 I selected.

Poll is closed. you snooze, you lose.

Aside from Spidey, nothing else even got 60% of the votes. Gonna be an interesting season.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Aimo disagrees
    Clearly, Aimo is operating from the "Marvel fatigue is here NOW and it is going to be brutal" standpoint.

Aside from Spidey, nothing else even got 60% of the votes. Gonna be an interesting season.
    Good, the 40% who didn't vote for Eternals are insta-eliminated. I would not be surprised if it ends up as one of the top-reviewed superhero movies ever, plus it has like no meaningful competition for its first 2 weeks.

Ymo is the only one that picked Morbius, that surprises me. I'm always mindful of those February movies making noise, especially a Marvel one.
    I have zero feel for the "men in tights" movies, as I lovingly refer to the comics universe. So when a bunch of them show up on the list (too often an occurrence these days IMHO) I might as well use a random number generator to make those picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Good, the 40% who didn't vote for Eternals are insta-eliminated. I would not be surprised if it ends up as one of the top-reviewed superhero movies ever, plus it has like no meaningful competition for its first 2 weeks.
    Perhaps, but the early screenings had the film pegged as a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Unless no one goes 5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Perhaps, but the early screenings had the film pegged as a complete mess.
    A messy Marvel movie is still a money maker. Toss in that Eternals is a tent pole for the next phase, it's guaranteed.

Aimo disagrees
    Clearly, Aimo is operating from the "Marvel fatigue is here NOW and it is going to be brutal" standpoint.
    I am not (GASP!) a Marvels fan at all. I am, however, looking forward to Ghostbusters. I turned the sequel off in the opening scene and did not even glance at the female remake. THIS looks good, though. Plus, I am a Stranger Things geek, so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am not (GASP!) a Marvels fan at all...
    I don't like Marvel either.

Fight us.