View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 boxoffice winners of winter?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venom: Let There Be Carnage

12 42.86%
  • James Bond: No Time to Die

14 50.00%
  • Dune

16 57.14%
  • Eternals

16 57.14%
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife

9 32.14%
  • Encanto

8 28.57%
  • Spider-man: No Way Home

27 96.43%
  • Sing 2

11 39.29%
  • Matrix: Resurrections

15 53.57%
  • Morbius

1 3.57%
  • Uncharted

1 3.57%
  • Other (field)

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I'm still debating. Mrs. Nrrrrvous and I both are a couple weeks past our boosters so now might be as good a time as any.
    I will be seeing it in the theatre next Wednesday, followed by a trip to Hardywood

Eternal hasn't caught No Time To Die yet, it is still $6 million behind.

If you have Venom, you can feel good about that pick. Not sure anything else feels safe at the moment (and if you took Dune or Ghostbusters you are pretty much done).

I think Sing 2 is gonna be big (I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected) and the tracking on Spider-man says it is going to make $200 mil its opening weekend. We are going to see at least 1 movie in just the $160 mil kind of range make our top 5, which is kinda surprising.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Good NPR review for West Side Story, and worth reading some of the other articles (Rita Moreno, etc.) linked.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/10623...e-story-review

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Good NPR review for West Side Story, and worth reading some of the other articles (Rita Moreno, etc.) linked.

Much too late to edit OP, but worth mentioning that Rita Moreno (she executive produced and is in the new WSS...but not as Anita ) turns 90 today.

Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Eternal hasn't caught No Time To Die yet, it is still $6 million behind.

Eternal has now passed No Time To Die for second place.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Eternal has now passed No Time To Die for second place.
    Eternals is getting a nice little holiday bump.

Encanto isn't going to make it. Dune isn't going to make it. I'm not sure that Ghostbusters is going to be able to pass No Time to Die.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm not sure that Ghostbusters is going to be able to pass No Time to Die.
    26 days after release, NTtD = $135 million, GB:A $112 million

So, something unusual would need to occur. But these are not usual times.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Eternals is getting a nice little holiday bump.

Encanto isn't going to make it. Dune isn't going to make it. I'm not sure that Ghostbusters is going to be able to pass No Time to Die.
    Yeah, Encanto over Eternals will be my downfall. Sing 2 might experience a COVID-related derailment, as well, so it's possible that both kiddie movies will be a miss. I do hear really good things about Sing 2, though, so maybe that one will overcome.

It's going to be interesting - We have the normal Christmas boon where a lot more folks go to the movies coinciding with a considerable uptick in the negative Covid headlines. Personally, I had just about made up my mind that I was comfortable going to see a movie in a theater over Christmas until the numbers started rising again. Now I will probably just put it off a little longer.

I'm curious to see what the overall numbers look like for the holidays.

Remember the days when there were only 2 things that impacted your decision to go see the latest blockbuster? Does it look like it's going to be good? Do I have $20 to blow on a movie and snack?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

So, Spiderman: No Way Home leaps to first place with a $260 million weekend. Only 1 person did not select it.

Matrix Resurrections and Sing 2 will be out this week(Wednesday).

After that, there are only two more named films left, Morbius with a January 28 release date and Uncharted with a February 18 release date. Doesn't look like the field bet is going to pay any money.

Current standings:

1. Spiderman: No Way Home - $260,138,000
    2. Venom: Let There Be Carnage - $212,418,000
    3. Eternals - $163,613,000
    4. No Time to Die - $160,772,000
    5. Ghostbusters: Afterlife - $117,263,000

Ain't no way Ghostbusters holds onto that #5 spot, I think, unless the country shuts down again for Covid. I really think Sing 2 is gonna burst on the scene next week... but we shall see.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

This week, Mrs. Turk, her mum, and I went to see West Side Story in an actual movie theater. IIRC, my previous theater experience was the last Harry Potter. Mrs. Turk had taken our youngest to see "The Fault in Our Star", who then promptly fell into the Marvel dark side (Capt. America and Spidey, mostly). I vaguely remember the original WSS (maybe re-watch that), and remembered the plot fairly well. I was impressed with the athleticism of the dancers, and feel the need to go back and read about Robert Moses.

What's next? Hard pass on "Dune" never read the book. I'm thinking "Belfast" or "Macbeth".
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    This week, Mrs. Turk, her mum, and I went to see West Side Story in an actual movie theater. IIRC, my previous theater experience was the last Harry Potter. Mrs. Turk had taken our youngest to see "The Fault in Our Star", who then promptly fell into the Marvel dark side (Capt. America and Spidey, mostly). I vaguely remember the original WSS (maybe re-watch that), and remembered the plot fairly well. I was impressed with the athleticism of the dancers, and feel the need to go back and read about Robert Moses.

What's next? Hard pass on "Dune" never read the book. I'm thinking "Belfast" or "Macbeth".
    I loved WSS and am bummed more folks are not seeing it. A real pity.

If you are into Shakespeare then MacBeth is great. Really wonderful staging and cinematography and, of course, the acting is excellent. Personally, I am not a big fan of the Bard so I was just kinda "meh" on it. Belfast was fine but dragged at times and I never connected with the story the way I thought I would. It was good, but is not great.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-24-2021 at 11:54 AM.

For those among us who love end of the world epics (especially of the tongue in cheek variety) the new Netflix release Don't Look Up has a terrific caste: Meryl Streep (as our President), Cate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Mark Rylance, Jonah Hill and more...it debuts today...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For those among us who love end of the world epics (especially of the tongue in cheek variety) the new Netflix release Don't Look Up has a terrific caste: Meryl Streep (as our President), Cate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Mark Rylance, Jonah Hill and more...it debuts today...
    What? You think they're bettah than me?!?!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What? You think they're bettah than me?!?!
    Meryl and Cate are upper...Leo middle, and Jonah's licking Meryl's boots.

JE reviewed this a little while ago with a less than enthusiastic response, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Meryl and Cate are upper...Leo middle, and Jonah's licking Meryl's boots.

JE reviewed this a little while ago with a less than enthusiastic response, but I'm looking forward to it.
    It isn’t awful. You will certainly laugh a bit, but it is too long and becomes tiresome when Adam McKay beats you over the head for the 95th time with the bold and new idea that science denial, tribal politics, and social media are (wait for it)… bad. Ooooh, what a revolutionary thought.

My kids watched it tonight and liked it a lot more than I did. I saw it during the height of awards season and may have judged it too harshly compared to actual award contenders.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It isn’t awful. You will certainly laugh a bit, but it is too long and becomes tiresome when Adam McKay beats you over the head for the 95th time with the bold and new idea that science denial, tribal politics, and social media are (wait for it)… bad. Ooooh, what a revolutionary thought.

My kids watched it tonight and liked it a lot more than I did. I saw it during the height of awards season and may have judged it too harshly compared to actual award contenders.
    Meh, you weren't alone in your thoughts.

The world will end not with a bang, but with a meme and some lolz and way more concern with what pop star broke up with which D.J. than our own survival. And also, should this movie be any indication, a righteous two-hour lecture masquerading as a satire.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...163000104.html

I'm still watching it, though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Still better than 90% of the Blow 'Em Up crap that dominates the movie world. At least it doesn't take itself seriously.