View Poll Results: Who drafted the best team of Dukies?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald's team - Zion, Shelden, JJ, Singler, Kyrie

16 12.21%
  • Jason's team - Shane, JWill, Johnny, Elton, Dunleavy

58 44.27%
  • Sam's team - Grant, Christian, Bobby, Marvin, Nolan

57 43.51%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Vote for the best team of Dukies of the K era!

If you have listened to the latest episode of the DBR podcast, then you heard Jason, Donald, and Sam draft their team of the best Dukies of all time. Now we need all of you to vote on which team is best. Which one of us meshed the best bunch of Duke greats into just the right bunch of guys? Here are our teams (in order of how they were drafted):

Donald
    1. Zion Williamson – 4
    6. Shelden Williams - 5
    7. JJ Redick - 2
    12. Kyle Singler - 3
    13. Kyrie Irving – 1
    18. Carlos Boozer – big
    19. Jon Scheyer - guard
    24. Tyus Jones - guard

Jason
    2. Shane Battier - 4
    5. Jay Will – 1
    8. Johnny Dawkins – 2
    11. Elton Brand - 5
    14. Mike Dunleavy - 3
    17. Danny Ferry - big
    20. Chris Duhon - guard
    23. Jayson Tatum – wing

Sam
    3. Grant Hill – 3
    4. Christian Laettner - 5
    9. Bobby Hurley – 1
    10. Marvin Bagley – 4
    15. Nolan Smith – 2
    16. Luol Deng – wing
    21. Trajan Langdon – wing
    22. Jahlil Okafor - big

-Jason "listen to the podcast before voting... you need to hear us explain our picks and rationale behind them" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-08-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

How could you NOT vote for Jason's team that has Danny Ferry a national player of the year and whose jersey is retired as a 6th MAN OFF THE BENCH Caps and bold for definite emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    How could you NOT vote for Jason's team that has Danny Ferry a national player of the year and whose jersey is retired as a 6th MAN OFF THE BENCH Caps and bold for definite emphasis.
    Because there's a team that has Laettner, Hill and Hurley on it

Zion, JJ, and Kyrie is a frightening prospect for a college team. Gonna have to think on this one for a bit.

Also need to think on who got snubbed here

Those are three stacked teams. WOW. But no Gene Banks, Bob Verga, Jeff Mullins or Art Heyman? Art was a Final Four MVP!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Zion, JJ, and Kyrie is a frightening prospect for a college team. Gonna have to think on this one for a bit.

Also need to think on who got snubbed here
    Heyman, Mullins and Gminski to start. Recently bias.

Blazin' is singing my song with the addition of Singler...still, this is an interesting exercise.

Certainly more fun than freaking out over an impending move uuuuugh.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This is… hard.

I ultimately voted for Jason’s team, but only because it has my all-time favorite Dukie ever in Shane. Any of the three would dominate college basketball for however long they were together.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Those are three stacked teams. WOW. But no Gene Banks, Bob Verga, Jeff Mullins or Art Heyman? Art was a Final Four MVP!
    We didn’t explain this part well, but we did players from the K era. I would have def considered G-Man!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    We didn’t explain this part well, but we did players from the K era. I would have def considered G-Man!
    Recruited by K or played for K. Banks played for K. You should probably change the title of the thread.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

are they all at their college prime? or....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

To clarify--

Had to be players in the "K era." That means we could have picked Gene Banks. That might have been an oversight on our part.

You are only drafting based on the college career. So, we are only considering the college version of Kyrie, Tatum, and Deng not the all-star pro version of those players. Similarly, JWill, Hurley, and Shelden are easily very high draft picks in this contest even though each went on to very lackluster NBA careers (for various reasons).

Any other questions? Hope folks are not just voting right away, but listen to the pod first to get some perspective. It is a pretty quick episode, easily less than a half hour.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    To clarify--

Had to be players in the "K era." That means we could have picked Gene Banks. That might have been an oversight on our part.

You are only drafting based on the college career. So, we are only considering the college version of Kyrie, Tatum, and Deng not the all-star pro version of those players. Similarly, JWill, Hurley, and Shelden are easily very high draft picks in this contest even though each went on to very lackluster NBA careers (for various reasons).

Any other questions? Hope folks are not just voting right away, but listen to the pod first to get some perspective. It is a pretty quick episode, easily less than a half hour.
    Thanks for the clarification Jason. This is a fun exercise - well done. I still think a thread title change is needed.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Current results--

Jason's Team - 41.18%
    Donald's Team - 35.29%
    Sam's Team - 23.53%

To clarify--

Does that mean Kyrie is only available for a few games before ca-toe-strophe strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Does that mean Kyrie is only available for a few games before ca-toe-strophe strikes?
    Was just about to ask the same thing. Are we basing things on the production he had in 8 games vs the careers of the others, or were you drafting the talent on display in those 8 games (regardless of how many games he actually played).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Was just about to ask the same thing. Are we basing things on the production he had in 8 games vs the careers of the others, or were you drafting the talent on display in those 8 games (regardless of how many games he actually played).
    I think each person needs to judge Kyrie’s college career how they want. I sorta ruled out picking him myself because I think 8 games is just too little to elevate him among the all-time greats in a Duke uniform, though he was clearly incredibly talented in those 8 games. Donald felt he saw enough to make Kyrie his starting PG. YMMV.

I think each person needs to judge Kyrie’s college career how they want. I sorta ruled out picking him myself because I think 8 games is just too little to elevate him among the all-time greats in a Duke uniform, though he was clearly incredibly talented in those 8 games. Donald felt he saw enough to make Kyrie his starting PG. YMMV.
    I agree with Donald-- From what I saw of him, Kyrie was one of the best to ever wear a Duke uni.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Because there's a team that has Laettner, Hill and Hurley on it
    Shane would "D" up Laettner so much that after the 3rd charge drawn, L would stomp on him and get ejected. .

Dunleavy would hit 3 threes in a row ...JWill would score 10 points in 60 seconds...Ferry would score 58...Duhon would go coast to coast...and Johnny would throw down a reverse dunk and this game would be OVER...

All I can say is generally accepted Hot Rising NBA Player Tatum was drafted TWENTY THIRD.