Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Could the USA conceivably get 20 points by the end today?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Or will at least two of three European team members I really don’t care for be the ones to win on their side today. So far the answer to that is yes.
    That's OK, the one US player I loathe is cruising today, and my only interest today was in seeing him get crushed. Can't have everything, I guess.

It is satisfying to see the US perform up to ability this year, but it certainly throws the last 30-some years into stark relief. It is hard to think of a better example of consistently-overachieving teams as the European Ryder Cup teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Personal experience?
    Personal repetitive experience.

Looks like 20 points aren’t gonna happen. But at least we brought the Cup back home. 19 points, anyone?

Europe lost 5 of the first 7 matches, and tied another...and 3 of the first 4 weren't even close after the first few holes. Opposite of what they needed to do out of the gate.

I mean, just imagine how dominant the USA’s performance would have been with Kevin Kisner on the team ……
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

With English losing his ball on 18, we no longer have a chance to make this the biggest rout in Ryder Cup history.

Kind of interesting that the guy who made it so we couldn't score more than 18.5 had a last name that sounded like it belonged on the European team.

Posted too soon...if Berger wins 18,we break the record.
    Now with Fitzpatrick in the drink at 18 it seems 19 is within reach.
    Sorry about the mistaken last post.

Wow. 19 points! What a beatdown.

Hard to hate Rory after this clip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...AF1?li=BBnbfcL

Only Ian Poulter annoys me on the Euro team. And sometimes Sergio. Otherwise I have no beef with the guys on their team.

Great job by our young guys!! 19 points!!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Only Ian Poulter annoys me on the Euro team. And sometimes Sergio. Otherwise I have no beef with the guys on their team.
    No Beef is right. Andrew Johnston wasn’t on this team.

{I’ll show myself out.}

I HIGHLY commend Team USA’s post-game presser. DJ is the star of the show .

Kudos to McIlroy for his show on the course Sunday, as well as his emotional interview thereafter. Seems like a good dude, who obviously cares deeply for this event. Kudos to Scottie Scheffler for taking down Rahm, giving Rahm his only L of the event. He did it in convincing fashion too.

On paper, this event should have been a blowout. Ten of the top 11 eligible for the event were on the US side (Hovland and McIlroy were closely behind though), and our worst-rated player would have been 5th on the EU side. Half of the EU team wasn't in the top-30 of the world rankings. Now, we've often had the talent edge in the past, so that certainly didn't guarantee anything. But it was nice to see the talent come through this time. And with so much of that talent being so young (only one guy over 35 and only two over 30), hopefully it builds a nice core for future events.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ...And with so much of that talent being so young (only one guy over 35 and only two over 30), hopefully it builds a nice core for future events.
    Yeah, and it's a double whammy for the Europeans. The core for the next decade for them is Rahm, Hovland, Hatton and whichever Rory shows up. Fleetwood and Fitzpatrick will likely be around. Fleetwood, however, was considerably defanged this Ryder Cup without Molinari (who will be 40 in two years, was injured most of last year and is a long way from back to form, currently ranked 173rd in the world). Fitzpatrick has yet to win a Ryder Cup point. Lowry should be in the mix and could develop into a Graeme McDowell type, or he might not. He had the huge scramble par Saturday but got dusted by Cantlay yesterday.

But beyond that, Westwood and Poulter have almost certainly played in their final Ryder Cups (Westwood was never as good in the event as one might have anticipated, but losing Poulter's gonna hurt). Sergio's going to be 43 next time around and while he's still relevant his game's not going to be getting better from here on out. Casey was awful this week and is probably moving to the vice captaincy waiting pool. That's a third of the team. Weisberger's 35 and while he actually played fairly well most of the week he didn't secure a point. He could be back but he won't put any fear in anyone and likely won't be a top 20 or so kind of player in 2 years.

There are others with prior Cup experience, but Cabrera Bello never quite matched his early potential and is 37 already; Thorbjorn Olesen has completely fallen off the table and is barely in the top 500 in the world right now; Alex Noren's 39; Pepperell, Willett, Knox, Wood, Sullivan, etc. aren't very likely to ever be where they were in '16 or '18 and they were back benchers, anyway. Kaymer, shockingly to me, at least, is only 36 but even if he has a late career comeback it's pretty unlikely he ever gets close to where he was a decade ago. Justin Rose is 41 and has been in decline the last couple of years so even if he makes it back he'll be 11 years on from Medinah.

So, Europe needs some new blood. And I'm not saying the cupboard is bare, but it's not terribly well-stocked, either. Just looking at the guys who nearly qualified this time:

Victor Perez is 29 already and his highest world ranking has been 29th and he's currently 52nd. Robert McIntyre might be the best of the bunch of rising Euro's - he's 25, made the round of 16 at the WGC Match Play this year and had a top 10 at the Open. So he could be a bright spot moving forward. Guido Migliozzi was 10th in the European qualifying points list. He's only 24 and the event will be in Italy in '23 so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there. That said, while winning a couple tournaments on the European tour and rising into the top 70 in the world is pretty amazing for a 24-year-old, he's also the same age as...2-time major winner and 3-0-1 lifetime at the Ryder Cup Collin Morikawa. Detry's 28, hasn't cracked the top 70 in the world and has made the cut at a major just once.

The wild card for Europe over the next decade could be whether the Hojgaard twins (only 20 years old and Rasmus is already in the top 85 in the world) develop. It could be a decidedly Nordic feel for the European team for a few cycles if those two and Hovland make up a quarter of the squad for awhile.

Compare that to the Americans who didn't quite make it: Patrick Reed, polarizing as anything but 31 years old, a Masters champ and formerly successful totemic presence on the U.S. team. Sam Burns, who had a win, two seconds and a third this year on the PGA tour, and Will Zalatoris, who darned near won the Masters, are 25. Matthew Wolff is only 22. In 6 years we might need someone to replace Dustin Johnson, and Finau and Koepka will be 38 and 37, respectively. But Thomas, Spieth, Cantlay, Schauffle, DeChambeau will only be in their mid-'30's at that point. I suspect Harris English is probably a one and done, and will open a spot for one of those 20-somethings, and if he doesn't give way he'll have winning team RC experience.
    That's just a radically different talent horizon for the U.S.