Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Not if we don’t get at least one 1 1/2 out of this afternoon session. Two would be much better, of course.

I don’t like the energy that the Europeans have right now.
    It’s over …

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    A better question is does Europe have 9 guys they are sure will win tomorrow? 8 of the top 10 players in the world are from the US.
    And 1 of the other 2 isn’t European.

Aside from the Scheffler/Rahm matchup, our guys are all at least 10 spots ahead of their opponent. And Europe has to take at least 8 points (9 if Rahm loses) to retain the Cup.

Golf is a crazy sport and just about anything can happen on a given day. But Europe needs a LOT of “anything can happen” to pull this off.

If I’m Team Europe, I just go out and drink about a zillion New Glarus Spotted Cows tonight because tomorrow Team USA is going to finish off this massacre!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Going with the “captain’s choice against Rahm and solid edge everywhere else” approach.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    It’s over …
    Spoiler!

Just play along with me for a little while longer, please.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Rory I don’t have any feelings on one way or the other. But I have actively rooted against Poulter for a long time. In fact the only two guys on the European side I genuinely don’t care for are him and Garcia.
    I’ll help you out, Rory is a big UNC fan…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’ll help you out, Rory is a big UNC fan…
    I didn’t know that. Now he’s definitely on my most-hated golfers list.

Dumb and Dumber!

Dumb: The hoodies worn by the USA team in high winds. Whose idea was that?

Dumber: The absence of info on the NBC telecast -- I finally figured out how to recognize the players; I have gotten to know a few of the holes (the par 3's are punitive); but I am incapable -- in a broadcast that switches among the four ongoing contests -- to figure out what the score is and what is the status of each match. After each hole (every 15 minutes for a match) it would show the status of the contest, but seldom in between. I finally resorted to pencil and paper to keep track of scores by hand.

Kindlt,
    sage
    'By the way, I thought the odd combination of wool cap and short sleeves worn by Tommy Fleetwood was charming. My explanation is that the wind was so strong his long hair wouldn't stay in place with a regular cap'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think the first six matches, as a group, are even-steven. The last six matches favor USA.

The only Euro I dislike is Ian Poulter, and there are at least two Americans I have trouble abiding.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Rankings in golf are not a great yardstick. 1 to 30 or so are nearly interchangeable and will win or lose any match on the slightest of events, moments, rubs of the green or quality of last night's sleep.
    You can't seriously be saying Sungjae Im and Joaquin Niemann are interchangeable with Jon Rahm and Dustin Johnson. C'mon. Jon or Dustin would take 9 out of every 10 matches from those guys.

I want to be your bookie.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    'By the way, I thought the odd combination of wool cap and short sleeves worn by Tommy Fleetwood was charming. My explanation is that the wind was so strong his long hair wouldn't stay in place with a regular cap'
    A wool cap on Tommy (in Wisconsin in the fall), yes. On teenagers/wannabe hipsters in Florida in the summer (there are quite a few) it's annoying. Creeps me out.

ha! I have been doing that for decades

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dumb: The hoodies worn by the USA team in high winds. Whose idea was that?

Dumber: The absence of info on the NBC telecast -- I finally figured out how to recognize the players; I have gotten to know a few of the holes (the par 3's are punitive); but I am incapable -- in a broadcast that switches among the four ongoing contests -- to figure out what the score is and what is the status of each match. After each hole (every 15 minutes for a match) it would show the status of the contest, but seldom in between. I finally resorted to pencil and paper to keep track of scores by hand.

Kindlt,
    sage
    I have been keeping up with Ryder Cup standings in my own way for, like, 30 years. NBC is more interested in showing controversy, schmaltz, and other BS than actually what is happening on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I have been keeping up with Ryder Cup standings in my own way for, like, 30 years. NBC is more interested in showing controversy, schmaltz, and other BS than actually what is happening on the course.
    So what else is new?

Does anyone know (like, with a link) how they go about deciding the Singles match-ups?
    Each team submits their playing order without knowing what the other side is going to do. So, the captains do not decide to match up one player against another, they merely decide "player A will play first, player B will play second..." and so on.

Now, in a case like this where Europe is in a big hole, it sorta makes sense for them to front-load with their best players. Europe's best hope is to charge out and take big leads in some matches and begin to put some fear into team USA. That's why you've got Rahm, Garcia, and Hovland (Europe's three best players, IMO) going early. I'm a little surprised Euro did not lead with those three guys, but having them in 3-4-5 is a smart spot.

USA seems to have put their best players (DJ and Morikawa especially) in the middle, which is a workable strategy as it could mute some of the European power, I guess.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Each team submits their playing order without knowing what the other side is going to do. So, the captains do not decide to match up one player against another, they merely decide "player A will play first, player B will play second..." and so on.

Now, in a case like this where Europe is in a big hole, it sorta makes sense for them to front-load with their best players. Europe's best hope is to charge out and take big leads in some matches and begin to put some fear into team USA. That's why you've got Rahm, Garcia, and Hovland (Europe's three best players, IMO) going early. I'm a little surprised Euro did not lead with those three guys, but having them in 3-4-5 is a smart spot.

USA seems to have put their best players (DJ and Morikawa especially) in the middle, which is a workable strategy as it could mute some of the European power, I guess.
    Makes sense, they could spend days haggling over 12 matchups. But too bad in a way, I would have loved to see Rahm and DJ go head-to-head with the way they're playing this weekend.

Anyone know if any of the players stay over to have some informal matches? Other than BAD tomorrow, most will take a few weeks off at this point of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I would have loved to see Rahm and DJ go head-to-head with the way they're playing this weekend.
    Not the way Rahm is starting out today, down an inverse dormie* through 4 holes against Scheffler.

* Sorry to say, I take credit for that term, referring to being down as many holes as you've played.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Not the way Rahm is starting out today, down an inverse dormie* through 4 holes against Scheffler.

* Sorry to say, I take credit for that term, referring to being down as many holes as you've played.
    Personal experience?

This is over. The only question is will Europe keep it from being a historic butt-whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is over. The only question is will Europe keep it from being a historic butt-whipping.
    Or will at least two of three European team members I really don’t care for be the ones to win on their side today. So far the answer to that is yes.

But at least we are cruising thus far.

With many golfers making the turn to the back nine, the US has a 2+ hole lead in 5 matches while Europe has that sized lead in only 1 contest. It does look like this will be an historic butt whupping.

Among the Euros getting pummeled are Rham, Garcia, and Hovland… all their top players. Ouch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?