Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BAD better play well next week or he's going to get killed in the media/blogosphere/twitterverse. It appears he's practicing as much for the long drive BS as the Ryder Cup.

“My hands are wrecked from it,” DeChambeau said as he showed off calluses on his palms. “People don’t realize how difficult long drive really is.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...cup/ar-AAOtgTK

If I was a betting man, between BAD and Koepka and who knows what else, I'd be putting money on the Europeans even though the U.S. has home course.

The next week might be more fun than the three days of competition (if you like sniping, that is).

"I see the way they support each other, and I see the way that they have this foundation of support amongst each other to lift each other up," Phil Mickelson said recently on the 5 Clubs podcast with Gary Williams. "I see them walking together side-by-side in the fairways and with a vision of solidarity, if you will. I see them helping each other get the best out of each other."
    It seems difficult to trust somebody who so brazenly and loudly and even tauntingly says, I'm doing my job, you gonna do yours? instead of I'm doing my job, how can I help you accomplish yours?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...lem/ar-AAOtRXt

Meanwhile elsewhere, Zinger says Koepka should pull out if he's not into it. I think I agree. Wouldn't a motivated/excited Sam Burns/Kevin Na be better than a blasé/possibly injured Koepka?

"Amazing what a minute can do."

Paul Azinger has some words for Brooks Koepka

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...ryder-cup-play:

"I'm not sure he loves the Ryder Cup that much, if he doesn't love it he should relinquish his spot and get people there who do love it,'' Azinger said. "Not everybody embraces it. But if you don't love it, and you're not sold out, then I think Brooks -- especially being hurt -- should consider whether or not he really wants to be there. And if you add the Bryson [DeChambeau] dynamic to that, that would be an even easier decision for him.''
    Last edited by -jk; 09-16-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added quote. Please avoid bald links.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Life is hard for Brooks Koepka. Some interesting quotes here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/58562548
    I'm not a Koepka fan (not for any particular reason I can pinpoint, just that I root for other guys more) but I appreciate his honesty. Presumably he was answering a question candidly instead of the usual "I love to play for my country." I imagine it is hard to switch gears between being on your own terms and schedule playing an individual sport 51 weeks a year and turning that into a team concept for one week. I don't think he was saying he doesn't want to do it, just that it's hard for him.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm not a Koepka fan (not for any particular reason I can pinpoint, just that I root for other guys more) but I appreciate his honesty. Presumably he was answering a question candidly instead of the usual "I love to play for my country." I imagine it is hard to switch gears between being on your own terms and schedule playing an individual sport 51 weeks a year and turning that into a team concept for one week. I don't think he was saying he doesn't want to do it, just that it's hard for him.
    I agree with this. I don't like him at all, and I still didn't see anything worthy of getting worked up about in his response.
    No wonder nobody wants to tell the truth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree with this. I don't like him at all, and I still didn't see anything worthy of getting worked up about in his response.
    You know, over tuned sensitivity meters and all that proper stuff.

I’m pretty well attuned to not complaining about missed naps. Do I wish I got more naps? Yep. If I secured a place on a team and that meant I had to miss a few naps for one week, I wouldn’t complain to the press about it.

A sand trap wrestling match between Koepka and De Chambeau would liven things up.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A sand trap wrestling match between Koepka and De Chambeau would liven things up.
    We need a Happy Gilmore reboot just so that it could include this as a scene

Do baseball players dislike being taken away from their teams in the middle of the season to play individually in the All-Star game? I suppose some do.

I agree completely that honesty is great and preferable. That said, I honestly find it difficult to empathize with a man who makes millions playing a game, who grouses (even a bit) about representing his country for 3 days every 730. What is it? Doesn't like the pressure? That would be surprising considering his stature. Doesn't like not getting paid? That would be worse.

So I'm torn, I like his honesty but dislike (strike that, more like 'am annoyed by') what he said.

Looks like BAD and his peers on the tour have decided that enough is enough and it is time for the narrative to change: https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...epka-ryder-cup

My guess is that Brooks has been smarting from those pointed comments from Azinger and that he is going to be a big boy and look to change the narrative about himself, too. At this point, though, he may keep quiet and choose his spot to do so.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m pretty well attuned to not complaining about missed naps. Do I wish I got more naps? Yep. If I secured a place on a team and that meant I had to miss a few naps for one week, I wouldn’t complain to the press about it.
    Reading this article about comments by Stricker lead me to reflect on this kerfuffle and I take back my criticism of Brooks. He didn’t actually say anything out of line, he was just honest. Maybe he did need a wake-up call to get ready or maybe he didn’t, but it sure feels like a media-driven narrative at this point. One that everyone is ready to put behind them.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...ryder-cup-team

I wonder how Azinger will fare in all of this. His bosses can’t be happy about seeing their lead analyst driving the news rather than analyzing it.
    Carolina delenda est

BAD better play well next week or he's going to get killed in the media/blogosphere/twitterverse. It appears he's practicing as much for the long drive BS as the Ryder Cup.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...cup/ar-AAOtgTK

If I was a betting man, between BAD and Koepka and who knows what else, I'd be putting money on the Europeans even though the U.S. has home course.
    Looks like BAD and his peers on the tour have decided that enough is enough and it is time for the narrative to change: https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...epka-ryder-cup

My guess is that Brooks has been smarting from those pointed comments from Azinger and that he is going to be a big boy and look to change the narrative about himself, too. At this point, though, he may keep quiet and choose his spot to do so.
    I'm compelled to point out that the latter article makes mincemeat of the former post of mine. Crappy golf media.

In a recent Golf.com story, DeChambeau said his hands were "wrecked'' because he had been working so hard to prepare for the Long Drive Championship, which is Monday. It turns out the interview was from two weeks prior and the range session reference was the week prior to the Northern Trust tournament.

I wonder how Azinger will fare in all of this. His bosses can’t be happy about seeing their lead analyst driving the news rather than analyzing it.
    Zinger will be fine, he has a lot of collateral to spend. The U.S. had been crushed by Europe three straight events (15.5-12.5, 18.5-9.5, 18.5-9.5) and lost 5 of 6 when Zinger stepped in to save some U.S. face (in 2008, the U.S. won 16.5-11.5). The U.S. has since lost 4 of the last 5.

The U.S. organizers are idiots. When I researched to confirm my recent post, I noticed that in the last 30 years the U.S. has never hosted on a course south of Louisville (the win in 2008). Subject those Europeans to some good ol' September southern heat and humidity and see how they fare.

Zinger will be fine, he has a lot of collateral to spend. The U.S. had been crushed by Europe three straight events (15.5-12.5, 18.5-9.5, 18.5-9.5) and lost 5 of 6 when Zinger stepped in to save some U.S. face (in 2008, the U.S. won 16.5-11.5). The U.S. has since lost 4 of the last 5.
    You’re probably right. Maybe he’s got enough tenure and clubhouse capital to sail smoothly. Clearly there has been a collective decision to stop the nonsense and move to a new narrative, and for all I know Zinger was a conscious part of it when he called out Brooks. Lucky Captain Stricker gets to be good cop.
    Carolina delenda est

Two weeks ago, the PGA held their final tournament of the year in hot, steamy Atlanta.

U.S. Ryder Cup participants:

Patrick Cantlay
    Justin Thomas
    Xander Schauffele
    Bryson DeChambeau
    Dustin Johnson
    Daniel Berger
    Tony Finau
    Harris English
    Jordan Speith
    Scottie Scheffler
    Collin Morikawa
    Brooks Koepka
    (p.s. that's everyone)

European Ryder Cup participants:

Jon Rahm
    Viktor Hovland
    Rory McIlroy
    Sergio Garcia

Put 'em on the griddle!

Ignore me. Locations are set through 2037...farthest south is Maryland.

Ignore me. Locations are set through 2037...farthest south is Maryland.
    To be fair, Maryland could be quite hot in September come 2037.
    Carolina delenda est