Howard Garfinkel

Nice piece by Julio on the front page...and for those who subscribe, a great piece in the NY Times today (written by a friend's son, I will say).

Tidbit from the Times that was news to me...Grant Hill is quoted as saying that when he went to Garf's camp (a very young John Calipari was one of his main coaches) he was leaning towards going to UNC, but Garf took him aside and told him Duke was a perfect fit for him. So thank you Garf!

When Hubie Brown was a young Duke assistant, he loved to talk about Garf and his camp.

Garfinkel's Five Star Camp was held in Moon Township, Pa. Near Gtr Pitt Airport. Moon was also the home of Calipari. Also the home of Kurt Angle and UNC's Johnson.

Cameron Johnson. Sorry I omitted his first name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Garfinkel's Five Star Camp was held in Moon Township, Pa. Near Gtr Pitt Airport. Moon was also the home of Calipari. Also the home of Kurt Angle and UNC's Johnson.
    I don't know about a branch of the camp at Moon Township. Never heard of that. But I do know the Pittsburgh camp was held at Robert Morris College in Coraopolis for many, many years. I know because I attended for a week in 1980. Truly an unbelievable collection of talent both on the court and among the coaching ranks, with Garf as the ringleader of the circus.

Brett Kavanaugh and the legendary 5-star basketball camp

"During the weekdays in the summer of 1982, as you can see, I was out of town for two weeks of the summer for a trip to the beach with friends and at the legendary five-star basketball camp in Honesdale, Pennsylvania."

Did Garfinkel's camp also have a branch in Honesdale, PA, or did BK attend another five-star camp?
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    "During the weekdays in the summer of 1982, as you can see, I was out of town for two weeks of the summer for a trip to the beach with friends and at the legendary five-star basketball camp in Honesdale, Pennsylvania."

Did Garfinkel's camp also have a branch in Honesdale, PA, or did BK attend another five-star camp?
    It did have a couple of different branches. If I recall correctly, in its heyday the camp ran at several of its locations in a given summer and when its popularity was less, either on the way up or the way down, it was only run at one location. But I know it ran both at Honesdale and Coraopolis/Robert Morris College for many years.