Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1902
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Glad to hear it, SD. 👍

Just make sure she doesn’t find out about your involvement with DBR!
    Let the excitement build.

I think Zion can be a top 10 player this season and maybe even be in the MVP conversation if he stays healthy - which I know is the huge if. But man, he's already done some things that few players have and he's only 22 and not really played much.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Let the excitement build.

I think Zion can be a top 10 player this season and maybe even be in the MVP conversation if he stays healthy - which I know is the huge if. But man, he's already done some things that few players have and he's only 22 and not really played much.
    I have been tempering my hopes for Zion, but seeing him out there smiling and hearing reports about him dominating — I am as excited as I have ever been about a player.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There are other things I am excited about but, agree, Zion is top of list.

In no particular order, other things that interest me:

1. Paolo's rookie year
    2. W-ever-TF is happening in Boston
    3. W-ever-TF will likely happen in Brooklyn
    4. Please not the Warriors again
    5. Lebron breaking Kareem's record
    Yeah Paolo's rookie year will be interesting. Would be great if he played well, the GSW won again and LeBron failed to pass Kareem :-)

1. Paolo's rookie year
    Co-sign. #2 hurts me. #3 intrigues me. #4 would suck. #5 is an inevitability, and will likely come at the expense of the Lakers going far.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Co-sign. #2 hurts me. #3 intrigues me. #4 would suck. #5 is an inevitability, and will likely come at the expense of the Lakers going far.
    Actually, #5 isn't that much of a stretch in the regular season, based on the numbers. I looked at the stats and the gap, and I think if Lebron played 82 games (he won't) he only has to average 17 points?

He averaged 30 last year.

1. Paolo's rookie year
    For me, James scoring more points than Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar is a giant “meh”. I’m completely uninterested in longevity accumulation totals. Does anyone know (or care about) who scored the most points in an NFL career or who scored the most runs in a MLB career?

In my opinion this kind of stuff just distracts from much more important things like the enjoyment of competition and wins and losses.

For me, James scoring more points than Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar is a giant “meh”. I’m completely uninterested in longevity accumulation totals. Does anyone know (or care about) who scored the most points in an NFL career or who scored the most runs in a MLB career?

In my opinion this kind of stuff just distracts from more important things like the actual on-court competition and wins and losses.
    I think it's notable. Is is as exciting as Wilt's 100, or even Kobe's 81? No. But it is testament to long term greatness and incredibly durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think it's notable. Is is as exciting as Wilt's 100, or even Kobe's 81? No. But it is testament to long term greatness and incredibly durability.
    I don’t care about Chamberlain (or Bryant, for that matter) scoring a bunch of points because he hogged the ball and just kept shooting and shooting and shooting. That’s not basketball.

It's definitely notable. And it's a fairly big deal.

Lots of other stats are more important (number of championships, number of MVPs), but this is up there.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Jack White update!

Apparently, he's the best shooter on the Nuggets:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-murray-porter

Damn. Feels like forwards get great at shooting once they leave Duke (White, Thomas, Tatum).

I don’t care about Chamberlain (or Bryant, for that matter) scoring a bunch of points because he hogged the ball and just kept shooting and shooting and shooting. That’s not basketball.
    Wow. Hot Wilt take. You sound like a Celtics fan!

Actually, #5 isn't that much of a stretch in the regular season, based on the numbers. I looked at the stats and the gap, and I think if Lebron played 82 games (he won't) he only has to average 17 points?

Lebron averaging 30.3ppg in his 19th season in the NBA (age 37) should be enough to get him into the HOF all by itself. I mean, that's beyond absurd. Here is how the other greatest scorers of all time did at age 37

Kareem - 22.0 ppg
    Lebron - 30.3
    Mailman - 23.2
    Kobe - 17.6
    Michael - retired (came back at age 38 and averaged 22.9ppg)
    Dirk - 18.3
    Wilt - retired (averaged 13.2ppg at age 36)
    Dr. J - retired (averaged 16.8 at age 26)
    Moses - 4.5 (injury-filled season, averaged 15.6 at age 36)
    Shaq - 12.0
    Melo - 13.3

Lebron is currently 1325 points behind Kareem. Here is how many points he would need to average depending on games played

40 games - 33.2
    45 games - 29.5
    50 games - 26.5
    55 games - 24.1
    60 games - 22.1
    65 games - 20.4

I think it is doubtful he plays more than 65 games. His 4 years in LA he has played 55, 67, 45, and 56 games.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wow. Hot Wilt take. You sound like a Celtics fan!
    Lol.

Wilt Chamberlain was quite possibly the most physically gifted player in the history of basketball, even to this day. I wish he could be reincarnated and come back to play in the NBA again with the benefit of today’s understanding of nutrition, and proper sleep, and all of the modern training techniques. I would watch every one of his games if I could.

But not to see him score 100 points. 😉

I was listening to Bill Simmons and Brian Windhorst talk about Lebron on a pod this week, and they were talking about the all time scoring mark, which he'll probably reach, barring injury, in Jan/Feb. He is also currently #7 alltime in assists. While he probably has zero chance at catching John Stockton for #1, if he plays 5 more years, which is possible, he's got a real shot at passing Jason Kidd for #2. He's the only name on the top 25 of the list that isn't a true point guard.

If he plays 3-4 more years, he'll pass the Chief for the most games played.

It seems like ALL of these records are important to him and, as the podcast indicates, when you talk about greatness, you have to factor in his ability to stay healthy thanks to his intense dedication to fitness. While people point to his losses in the finals, Windhorst argued that his ability to bounce back from tough losses ready to fight again is a big part of his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    While people point to his losses in the finals, Windhorst argued that his ability to bounce back from tough losses ready to fight again is a big part of his legacy.
    I think James’ competitiveness is his greatest strength. He’s not on Michael Jordan’s level in that regard — nobody is — but he’s not too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I was listening to Bill Simmons and Brian Windhorst talk about Lebron on a pod this week, and they were talking about the all time scoring mark, which he'll probably reach, barring injury, in Jan/Feb. He is also currently #7 alltime in assists. While he probably has zero chance at catching John Stockton for #1, if he plays 5 more years, which is possible, he's got a real shot at passing Jason Kidd for #2. He's the only name on the top 25 of the list that isn't a true point guard.

If he plays 3-4 more years, he'll pass the Chief for the most games played.

It seems like ALL of these records are important to him and, as the podcast indicates, when you talk about greatness, you have to factor in his ability to stay healthy thanks to his intense dedication to fitness. While people point to his losses in the finals, Windhorst argued that his ability to bounce back from tough losses ready to fight again is a big part of his legacy.
    Not to sidetrack this discussion, but he has a definite Tom Brady vibe. He clearly has taken the highest level of care of his body. He could reset a number of marks, given the current levels of nutrition, strength and conditioning, and general care that today's players have access to. He clearly makes the most of what he has.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Lebron averaging 30.3ppg in his 19th season in the NBA (age 37) should be enough to get him into the HOF all by itself. I mean, that's beyond absurd. Here is how the other greatest scorers of all time did at age 37

Kareem - 22.0 ppg
    Lebron - 30.3
    Mailman - 23.2
    Kobe - 17.6
    Michael - retired (came back at age 38 and averaged 22.9ppg)
    Dirk - 18.3
    Wilt - retired (averaged 13.2ppg at age 36)
    Dr. J - retired (averaged 16.8 at age 26)
    Moses - 4.5 (injury-filled season, averaged 15.6 at age 36)
    Shaq - 12.0
    Melo - 13.3

Lebron is currently 1325 points behind Kareem. Here is how many points he would need to average depending on games played

40 games - 33.2
    45 games - 29.5
    50 games - 26.5
    55 games - 24.1
    60 games - 22.1
    65 games - 20.4

I think it is doubtful he plays more than 65 games. His 4 years in LA he has played 55, 67, 45, and 56 games.
    As mentioned, Lebron has a chance of being the all-time leading scorer and second all-time in assists but he also can sneak into the top 30 in rebounds and is already top 10 in steals. He has had a remarkable career but it isn't just longevity. Lebron's 19th year he averaged 30.3 pts, 8.2 rebounds and 6.2 assists. For comparison sake, Paul Pierce had, arguably, his best season at age 28. That year Pierce averaged 26.8 pts, 6.7 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Player Age ppg rpg apg
    Lebron 37 30.3 8.2 6.2
    Pierce 28 26.8 6.7 4.7
    Lebron is having better statistical seasons than in their prime hall of famers, when he is 37! I know I am in the minority here, but I think Lebron is the greatest to ever play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    As mentioned, Lebron has a chance of being the all-time leading scorer and second all-time in assists but he also can sneak into the top 30 in rebounds and is already top 10 in steals. He has had a remarkable career but it isn't just longevity. Lebron's 19th year he averaged 30.3 pts, 8.2 rebounds and 6.2 assists. For comparison sake, Paul Pierce had, arguably, his best season at age 28. That year Pierce averaged 26.8 pts, 6.7 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Player Age ppg rpg apg
    Lebron 37 30.3 8.2 6.2
    Pierce 28 26.8 6.7 4.7
    I know I am in the minority here, but I think Lebron is the greatest to ever play the game.
    Possibly. But for me, there are two things that prevent this:

a) Lack of Trophies. He has 4, which is nice, but 2 behind MJ and a lot behind Russell. And trophies matter.

b) Lebron the GM is a disaster. The Lakers last season is on him. Lebron is a great player and a great leader for the league, but his mingling in the roster-build of the team has led to a).

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Possibly. But for me, there are two things that prevent this:

a) Lack of Trophies. He has 4, which is nice, but 2 behind MJ and a lot behind Russell. And trophies matter.

b) Lebron the GM is a disaster. The Lakers last season is on him. Lebron is a great player and a great leader for the league, but his mingling in the roster-build of the team has led to a).
    Well it's a team game. Lebron lead a team that started Boogie Gibson to the NBA title series. Also, how do you rate guys like Robert Horry (7 titles) and Sam Jones (10 titles). You surely don't put them ahead of Jordan because they won more titles.

Here is Lebron's 19th year compared to Jordan’s highest average scoring year and Jordan’s highest average rebound and assist year (same year).

Player Age ppg rpg apg
    Lebron 37 30.3 8.2 6.2
    Jordan 24 37.1 5.2 4.6
    Jordan 26 32.5 8.0 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Well it's a team game. Lebron lead a team that started Boogie Gibson to the NBA title series. Also, how do you rate guys like Robert Horry (7 titles) and Sam Jones (10 titles). You surely don't put them ahead of Jordan because they won more titles.

Here is Lebron's 19th year compared to Jordan’s highest average scoring year and Jordan’s highest average rebound and assist year (same year).

Player Age ppg rpg apg
    Lebron 37 30.3 8.2 6.2
    Jordan 24 37.1 5.2 4.6
    Jordan 26 32.5 8.0 8.0
    If you're arguing that Lebron is the best stat stuffer, I'm with you. But MJ is close. I look at PER as I think the game is more than points, assists, and rebounds. And their respective best season has the same PER: 31.7

But to me, he's not better than Jordan as a player. That competitive fire, that continuity with the Bulls (minus those 1.5 years to play baseball), that ability to expand the game internationally...the game is more than just stats.

Now, I'd argue that MJ 'lucked out' with a better supporting staff and being part of the greatest collection of basketball players ever (Dream Team). But luck is part of it.