Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1902
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I'm a physician who mostly works with economically disadvantaged people and I've gotten so used to patients referring to their significant other as their fiancee/fiance in order to emphasize to me the gravitas of their relationship and the desire to have that person involved in their care that it never occurs to me to ask any questions about any wedding. And I'm fine with this, as it seems to get the job done for all concerned.
    It's true. "Girlfriend" seems to indicate a casualness that likely isn't very welcome in a serious relationship. "Partner" is such a dry term - same sex relationships seemed relegated to that term before the legalization of marriage, some folks still use it to keep the ambiguity of their significant other.

It took me awhile to get used to referring to my "wife," but I'm quite fond of the term all these years later.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Meanwhile, the word out of Bean Town is that Udoka had his affair (perhaps among other faux pas) with the team's travel planner, who also made Nia Long's travel plans. I can see the convenience of that.
    Speaking of Ms. Long, a semantical question: she has been Udoka's "fiancee" for seven years but has said she doesn't want to get married. Has the definition of fiancee changed? Probably, I'd be the last to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    A co-worker recently got engaged. He and his fiancé were both previously married and have a blended family of college age kids.

I asked when the wedding would be and he said there wouldn’t be one. The ring satisfied them and there was no need to get married.

Shrug emoji.
    Just as I guessed, stuff changes and no one tells me. Going old school, I think I'd refer to my significant other in such a case as my partner, not as my fiance(e')...
    FWIW my uncle (who is in his 70s) was "engaged" to the same woman (who he lived with) for 10+ years with no plans to marry. Like others said, it's mostly for the ring and to show a larger sense of commitment, but they didn't want a wedding & the legality of a marriage I guess. She had two children from a prior marriage and he never got married (or had children). So, it's not just the youngins. It did take them ~20 years to get "engaged" though -- before that, they were cohabitating. Not getting married even after having children is also extremely common in many places in Europe although the couple still co-habitates/is together.

A bunch of teams had there media day yesterday.
    Zion was in uniform and looked the best I've ever seen him. Hope he can stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    FWIW my uncle (who is in his 70s) was "engaged" to the same woman (who he lived with) for 10+ years with no plans to marry. Like others said, it's mostly for the ring and to show a larger sense of commitment, but they didn't want a wedding & the legality of a marriage I guess. She had two children from a prior marriage and he never got married (or had children). So, it's not just the youngins. It did take them ~20 years to get "engaged" though -- before that, they were cohabitating. Not getting married even after having children is also extremely common in many places in Europe although the couple still co-habitates/is together.
    yeah, I think it can be a tad embarrassing for some (emphasis) people of any age to be living with someone in non married status so being "engaged" circumvents that, which is fine. Living in the godless heathen state that I do, folks just call them partners and don't think twice about...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It took me awhile to get used to referring to my "wife”.
    Early warning sign, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Early warning sign, perhaps?
    Not one whit.

Really curious as to what the Celts will do. With Udoka gone for the year, and the former top assistant gone, they have highly inexperienced Joe Mazzulla running the shoe. More than ironic that he has a domestic assault on his resume' for grabbing a woman by the neck in a bar...yeah, folks are saying he's reformed now, but still...not the best of looks.

Really curious as to what the Celts will do. With Udoka gone for the year, and the former top assistant gone, they have highly inexperienced Joe Mazzulla running the shoe. More than ironic that he has a domestic assault on his resume' for grabbing a woman by the neck in a bar...yeah, folks are saying he's reformed now, but still...not the best of looks.
    Everything about this entire kerfuffle is not a good look. The fact that they aren't releasing whatever the damning details are let's everyone else fill in the blanks with worst case scenarios.

I'm still convinced that this is all very "lawyered" and that no one anywhere is under the impression that Udoka will return to the C's next year or any time later.

For me, the most significant and telling piece was Matt Barnes initially publicly having coach's back and then immediately running the other direction and retracting everything when he learned the bitty gritty.

That's the kind of reaction that really let's your imagination go to some unpleasant places.

Udoka hasn't (to my knowledge) defended himself or made a statement, other than his initial:

“I want to apologize to our players, fans, the entire Celtics organization, and my family for letting them down,I am sorry for putting the team in this difficult situation, and I accept the team’s decision. Out of respect for everyone involved, I will have no further comment.”

When something is so bad that neither side is interested in offering up details, it ain't good.

Yes, the interim coach isn't a beacon of light and social justice, but I imagine it is a band-aid on a lost limb.

Will be interesting to see if Tatum and the team can block out this noise and play good ball.

Not one whit.
    Good! Glad to see another happily-married man. I’ve been married since 1993 and am thankful every day.

A divorced friend of mine claims that all of his other married friends are unhappy and are envious of him being unattached. I’m not buying it.

Apologies for thread drift. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    A bunch of teams had there media day yesterday.
    Zion was in uniform and looked the best I've ever seen him. Hope he can stay healthy.
    Really encouraging news from Zion and the Pelicans...

Larry Nance Jr.'s message to Zion Williamson: Treat your body like a Lamborghini
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...c81f05d3a.html

Over the summer, Williamson worked with Jasper Bibbs, his personal strength and conditioning coach. The two were in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for eight weeks of training before the start of Williamson’s fourth NBA season.

The result is a version of Williamson not seen since his days at Duke.

“I feel like I'm at my best right now,” Williamson said Monday at the Pelicans' media day. “I feel like I'm moving faster, jumping higher. I feel great.”
    If Zion Williamson is “jumping higher” then the NBA is in trouble
    https://pelicandebrief.com/2022/09/2...umping-higher/

Jumping higher? If Zion is actually moving quicker and jumping higher he is going to be next to impossible to stop as he was already. He’s seeing that commitment to his body is paying dividends and allowing him to do things he couldn’t do in the past:

"I'm in the gym and something happens… I'm like 'Oh man, I can really do that! That's different!'" �� pic.twitter.com/pQpzfJPXZV

— New Orleans Pelicans (@PelicansNBA) September 26, 2022 https://twitter.com/PelicansNBA/stat...35583941820417
    zion1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Really encouraging news from Zion and the Pelicans...

zion1.jpg
    Fantastic. I literally don't know anyone who doesn't want to see a full season of peak Zion. Even UNC fans are rooting for him.

Let's go, Zion!

Fantastic. I literally don't know anyone who doesn't want to see a full season of peak Zion. Even UNC fans are rooting for him.

Let's go, Zion!
    Zion just turned 22. He's not even at his peak of athleticism. If he can just stay healthy. Its uncharted territory given his unique physical attributes and positive mental attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Zion just turned 22. He's not even at his peak of athleticism.
    Yep, 43 is a looong ways away for him!

Everything about this entire kerfuffle is not a good look. The fact that they aren't releasing whatever the damning details are let's everyone else fill in the blanks with worst case scenarios.

I'm still convinced that this is all very "lawyered" and that no one anywhere is under the impression that Udoka will return to the C's next year or any time later.

For me, the most significant and telling piece was Matt Barnes initially publicly having coach's back and then immediately running the other direction and retracting everything when he learned the bitty gritty.

That's the kind of reaction that really let's your imagination go to some unpleasant places.

Udoka hasn't (to my knowledge) defended himself or made a statement, other than his initial:

“I want to apologize to our players, fans, the entire Celtics organization, and my family for letting them down,I am sorry for putting the team in this difficult situation, and I accept the team’s decision. Out of respect for everyone involved, I will have no further comment.”

When something is so bad that neither side is interested in offering up details, it ain't good.

Yes, the interim coach isn't a beacon of light and social justice, but I imagine it is a band-aid on a lost limb.

Will be interesting to see if Tatum and the team can block out this noise and play good ball.
    I’m starting to think that the only thing that could salvage this debacle for the Celtics is if Joe Mazzulla somehow, magically, turns out to be a very good head coach.

I’m starting to think that the only thing that could salvage this debacle for the Celtics is if Joe Mazzulla somehow, magically, turns out to be a very good head coach.
    That would work...though the injury to Gallinari, and Time Lord's absence, put him immediately behind the eight ball...brutal job managing the egos of an NBA team, really hard for a guy like Mazzulla to pull this off.

Good! Glad to see another happily-married man. I’ve been married since 1993 and am thankful every day.

A divorced friend of mine claims that all of his other married friends are unhappy and are envious of him being unattached. I’m not buying it.

Apologies for thread drift. 😉
    Married since 1989 and very happy (that my wife is still putting up with me).

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Married since 1989 and very happy (that my wife is still putting up with me).
    Glad to hear it, SD. 👍

Just make sure she doesn’t find out about your involvement with DBR!

Zion

I have to admit, that as I think about the next NBA season what has me most excited is watching Zion again. Sure it'll be great if Steph and the GSW win again but Zion is just something different! I can't wait.

Glad to hear it, SD. 👍

Just make sure she doesn’t find out about your involvement with DBR!
    Yep, that would definitely be grounds for divorce. Well, maybe not divorce. But murder for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I have to admit, that as I think about the next NBA season what has me most excited is watching Zion again. Sure it'll be great if Steph and the GSW win again but Zion is just something different! I can't wait.
    There are other things I am excited about but, agree, Zion is top of list.

In no particular order, other things that interest me:

1. Paolo's rookie year
    2. W-ever-TF is happening in Boston
    3. W-ever-TF will likely happen in Brooklyn
    4. Please not the Warriors again
    5. Lebron breaking Kareem's record