Page 54 of 96 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1902
    Anyone else notice that RJ is averaging 23ppg in January. Also 6.6 rebounds per game and close to 4 assists per game. He's sorta quietly become the Knicks best player, I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone else notice that RJ is averaging 23ppg in January. Also 6.6 rebounds per game and close to 4 assists per game. He's sorta quietly become the Knicks best player, I think.
    As an NYC-based NYK fan with season tickets, RJ is, in fact, our best player. He's surpassed Randle. Hoping he has the ball in his hands more often at the end of games (like last night).

Also, only a matter of time until Reddish works his way into the rotation. With the trade deadline looming, the Knicks will likely move some pieces around to make room for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The trip against Elon in December wasn't as big an issue as his meltdown on the bench. That led K to suspend him, and to remove his captaincy. "Leaders" don't fall apart in front of the troops, the general and a national TV audience. And, of course, the term "indefinite suspension" keeps the story alive for weeks. In fact, he sat for only one game -- but the melody lingers on.

Just my opinion, but feel strongly about it.
    I don't disagree with the fact that the meltdown was an issue. The reason for the meltdown was understandable. For a 20 year old kid to have been sensationalized like that by the media, I understood why he was so upset. This wasn't troops or battle, it was basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Not just any Duke guy, he had inherited the hated, white Duke villain throne.
    Yeah, I was trying not to say that. It triggers some people.

NBA fans often don't care about a players college experience. Like I said ESPN tried to sensationalize Grayson and Trae Young getting tangled up (Young fell so ESPN tried to replay their GA narrative but it didn't game much traction). Even NBA fans who don't care about college can be swayed. If there's one thing we all know after the last 10 years is that bias can be created by the media.

Now GA has made it easy to sell the narrative and he has screwed up. This last incident was really unfortunate because of the injury but the bottom line is that it was basketball play where GA was trying to make a play on the ball and it should have been an F1.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I'd argue they are aware of specific incidences, both positive and negative. NBA fans know Laettner hit that shot against Kentucky. NBA fans know Allen tripped multiple players. NBA fans know Zion's shoe exploded.
    Also, the media is aware, so the focus between the two flagrant foul situations that occurred on the same day in the NBA (posted earlier) was entirely on Allen's foul, and not THT's.

The reactions of the respective fouling players, however, is a contributing factor. Allen did not seem particularly concerned or remorseful after his foul, whereas THT showed immediate regret. That matters quite a bit for public perception.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    As an NYC-based NYK fan with season tickets, RJ is, in fact, our best player. He's surpassed Randle. Hoping he has the ball in his hands more often at the end of games (like last night).
    NBA teams where a Dukie is the best player on the roster:

Boston - Tatum
    NY Knicks - RJ
    Nawlins - Zion (when healthy and hen he isn't healthy it is Ingram)

Don't think there are any others.

Kentucky currently has us beat in the "best player on the team" metric:

Minnesota - KAT
    Phoenix - Booker
    Sacto - Fox
    OKC - SGA

I don't think there are any other schools with more than 1.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

NBA teams where a Dukie is the best player on the roster:

Boston - Tatum
    NY Knicks - RJ
    Nawlins - Zion (when healthy and hen he isn't healthy it is Ingram)

Don't think there are any others.

Kentucky currently has us beat in the "best player on the team" metric:

Minnesota - KAT
    Phoenix - Booker
    Sacto - Fox
    OKC - SGA

I don't think there are any other schools with more than 1.
    I’ve been hearing a lot of talk that Fox’s stock has dropped considerably over the last couple of years. Is it possible that Bagley, given adequate opportunity, could eventually be the best player on the Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’ve been hearing a lot of talk that Fox’s stock has dropped considerably over the last couple of years. Is it possible that Bagley, given adequate opportunity, could eventually be the best player on the Kings?
    Perhaps, but I think most NBA observers now consider Tyrese Halliburton to be the Kings' best player.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post

Also, only a matter of time until Reddish works his way into the rotation. With the trade deadline looming, the Knicks will likely move some pieces around to make room for him.
    RJ certainly will be if he keeps it up. Randle is still very good, but seems to have reverted to his more normal profile statistically after a career year in 20-21. RJ's ceiling is certainly higher, and he seems to have the full trust of Thibs.

Fox has not been great this year, but it would entail a pretty shocking improvement at this point for Bagley to be at the level of the best player on a team. Part of it has been the crappy situation with Walton, a huge part of it has been the ongoing injury drama, and part of it, sadly, has been the fact that the Kings are the Kings, but his rookie year was the only season he's had where he's been playing above-average NBA basketball per most advanced stats. Harrison Barnes has probably been the second best player on the Kings so far this year, with Richaun Holmes, Haliburton, and Buddy Hield at 3-5 in some order.

One of Bagley's issues has been the one about his fit that haunted him as a draft prospect: he's settled in as more of a perimeter defender (though a better one than I had expected, I have to say!) than an interior one (can't protect the rim well enough as a 5, can't keep bigger 5s out of the lane, doesn't box out well enough to be an effect 5 rebounder), but his offensive game is an interior one. His three point shot has decidedly not come around (he's 14-57 so far this year for a 24.6%), and he doesn't create very well for others/move the ball like a perimeter offensive player needs to. The NBA is not kind to guys who play down a position on defense compared to what they do on offense in the 2020s, unfortunately. When the Kings want to go to a 4-out lineup with one big, they've consistently used Holmes instead of Marvin because of the defensive presence, and because there's just not a ton that Marvin does on offense that Holmes doesn't do nearly as well right now. I think Bagley still has a chance to be a really good player, but something has to improve/break right for him (whether it's the three ball, becoming a bit of a better ball-handler and passer, or being someone who can really punish switches) in order for that to happen.

I dunno bout Bagley being the best on the Kings. I also don't know enough about the Kings. Even when Big Marv was more of a featured player, he was a "nice player to have" who put up good (not gaudy) numbers and good not great efficiency. He topped out in the 14-15ppg level on ~ 50% shooting and career 30% from 3, with 7+ rpg. Those are pretty good numbers, but not suggestive of the capacity to be "the best" on a team, unless the team is really bad, which the Kings are.
    If the Kings invested more game time in Bagley and put the offense thru him more his bulk numbers would go up but his efficiency would go down. Bagley needs to be able shoot the 3 at least 35% to even be considered a primary option in the modern NBA. He's a 75% FT shooter this year, which is good enough for a PF and leading offensive option. Bagley's defensive chops are not up to the star level either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Fox has not been great this year, but it would entail a pretty shocking improvement at this point for Bagley to be at the level of the best player on a team. Part of it has been the crappy situation with Walton, a huge part of it has been the ongoing injury drama, and part of it, sadly, has been the fact that the Kings are the Kings, but his rookie year was the only season he's had where he's been playing above-average NBA basketball per most advanced stats. Harrison Barnes has probably been the second best player on the Kings so far this year, with Richaun Holmes, Haliburton, and Buddy Hield at 3-5 in some order.

One of Bagley's issues has been the one about his fit that haunted him as a draft prospect: he's settled in as more of a perimeter defender (though a better one than I had expected, I have to say!) than an interior one (can't protect the rim well enough as a 5, can't keep bigger 5s out of the lane, doesn't box out well enough to be an effect 5 rebounder), but his offensive game is an interior one. His three point shot has decidedly not come around (he's 14-57 so far this year for a 24.6%), and he doesn't create very well for others/move the ball like a perimeter offensive player needs to. The NBA is not kind to guys who play down a position on defense compared to what they do on offense in the 2020s, unfortunately. When the Kings want to go to a 4-out lineup with one big, they've consistently used Holmes instead of Marvin because of the defensive presence, and because there's just not a ton that Marvin does on offense that Holmes doesn't do nearly as well right now. I think Bagley still has a chance to be a really good player, but something has to improve/break right for him (whether it's the three ball, becoming a bit of a better ball-handler and passer, or being someone who can really punish switches) in order for that to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I dunno bout Bagley being the best on the Kings. I also don't know enough about the Kings. Even when Big Marv was more of a featured player, he was a "nice player to have" who put up good (not gaudy) numbers and good not great efficiency. He topped out in the 14-15ppg level on ~ 50% shooting and career 30% from 3, with 7+ rpg. Those are pretty good numbers, but not suggestive of the capacity to be "the best" on a team, unless the team is really bad, which the Kings are.
    If the Kings invested more game time in Bagley and put the offense thru him more his bulk numbers would go up but his efficiency would go down. Bagley needs to be able shoot the 3 at least 35% to even be considered a primary option in the modern NBA. He's a 75% FT shooter this year, which is good enough for a PF and leading offensive option. Bagley's defensive chops are not up to the star level either.
    Yeah, Bagley isn't even the best big on his team right now. Richaun Holmes has been much better than Bagley, who has been comparable on a per-36 basis to Alex Len, Tristan Thompson, and Damian Jones.

The best player on the team appears to be Haliburton.

Possible? Sure, I guess so.. but at the moment he isn't even a starter for them and he doesn't have a lot of trade capital either. The NBA is just really underwhelmed with him thus far.

Possible? Sure, I guess so.. but at the moment he isn't even a starter for them and he doesn't have a lot of trade capital either. The NBA is just really underwhelmed with him thus far.
    Well, I know Marvin is nowhere near being their best player at the moment. My comment was more a thought on Fox not being all that good as well as a question of Bagley’s potential at this point in his career.

The guy was the second player picked in the entire draft. What potential was seen in him at that time that has apparently been unrealized to this point? Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Well, I know Marvin is nowhere near being their best player at the moment. My comment was more a thought on Fox not being all that good as well as a question of Bagley’s potential at this point in his career.

The guy was the second player picked in the entire draft. What potential was seen in him at that time that has apparently been unrealized to this point? Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    One easy lame answer that I think has played a major factor for Bagley: he can't get healthy. He topped out at 62 games played in his rookie year (easily his best year, by advanced stats), then played in 13 games his second year, 43 last year, and 27 thus far this year. He's had foot problems, wrist problems, and shoulder problems, along with a bunch of other minor tweaks here and there. Bagley's game is predicated on his athleticism, so being banged up has not done him any favors. And he was always an upside pick (particularly with his shooting); absolutely nothing worse than having to spend tons of time off the court when you need to develop.

He's got some pretty significant holes in his game, of course, and the idea that he might be a legitimate center defensively who could shoot threes offensively obviously didn't pan out on either end. But he was on track to being a productive player (in my admittedly biased eyes) his rookie year, and just can't get/stay on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Sidenote: I don't think there's a more polarizing Duke player than Grayson Allen. I know Duke fans who love him. I know Duke fans who hate him.
    Correction: You know so-called Duke fans who hate him.

You can be a Duke fan and not be happy with the way he behaved. You can be a Duke fan and be disappointed in him. You can be a Duke fan and not even really like him. But anyone that calls themselves a Duke fan and says they hate Grayson is not a Duke fan. Period. The. End.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I don't disagree with the fact that the meltdown was an issue. The reason for the meltdown was understandable. For a 20 year old kid to have been sensationalized like that by the media, I understood why he was so upset. This wasn't troops or battle, it was basketball.
    He's a third-year Duke student; he's a varsity athlete; and he's the captain of the basketball team. Given the above, there less excuse for a public meltdown than for tripping an Elon player in the first place.

In any event, as Duke sports fans, Grayson is forever in the Pantheon of greats -- He was buried on the bench for most of the year; Duke is down nine to Wisconsin in the second half, and he leads a charge that carries us to victory. I remember yelling to my daughter and my 9 YO granddaughter when we faced this deficit: "Why isn't Okafor in the game? Why is Grayson Allen out there?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Correction: You know so-called Duke fans who hate him.

You can be a Duke fan and not be happy with the way he behaved. You can be a Duke fan and be disappointed in him. You can be a Duke fan and not even really like him. But anyone that calls themselves a Duke fan and says they hate Grayson is not a Duke fan. Period. The. End.
    No one gets to make the rules about who is a Duke fan, sorry.

Hard disagree.

I certainly don't "hate" Grayson, but I won't battle someone who does over fanhood.

Gatekeeping ain't cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Hard disagree.

I certainly don't "hate" Grayson, but I won't battle someone who does over fanhood.

Gatekeeping ain't cool.
    No problems, bro. I’ll agree to disagree. Sorry if that stand offended you.

Obviously it’s just my opinion. Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Hard disagree.

Gatekeeping ain't cool.
    Some people live in a very black and white world. I 100% agree with you and think that is a very narrowminded way to go through life. Particularly when they impose those views on others or feel the need to shout them from the rooftops repeatedly.

But I digress. God Bless the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Some people live in a very black and white world. I 100% agree with you and think that is a very narrowminded way to go through life. Particularly when they impose those views on others or feel the need to shout them from the rooftops repeatedly.

But I digress. God Bless the Internet.
    Bless your heart, Crazy.