Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Don’t be surprised if RJ goes to the bench as well. I don’t think he would fall completely out of the rotation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Thibodeau didn’t reduce his role.
    I have to admit, I'd be moderately surprised if RJ loses his starting spot, even with the abysmal shooting, if only because RJ is literally the only even passable wing (and honestly, the only good perimeter) defender on the Knicks roster right now. Having some combo of Evan Fournier, Alec Burks, or pick-a-random Knick (Obi Toppin? (surprisingly ok as an interior defender this year but not who you want in space or playing beside two other bigs offensively) or shudder... Kevin Knox?) trying to guard star NBA wings is just not going to fly, especially with Thibs running the show. Maybe I'm wrong and he decides to make a point, but I'm guessing that Thibs is more likely to reward the defensive effort and improvement RJ has shown and trust that the shot will come around.

If Reggie Bullock was still around, it might be a different story, of course, and it's demonstrably true that Thibs is going away from RJ later in games where he's been struggling (think I saw that he's only averaging 27 min a game over the last 10?), so maybe a reduced role even if he stays a starter might be in the cards if the shooting doesn't turn up?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    I have to admit, I'd be moderately surprised if RJ loses his starting spot, even with the abysmal shooting, if only because RJ is literally the only even passable wing (and honestly, the only good perimeter) defender on the Knicks roster right now. Having some combo of Evan Fournier, Alec Burks, or pick-a-random Knick (Obi Toppin? (surprisingly ok as an interior defender this year but not who you want in space or playing beside two other bigs offensively) or shudder... Kevin Knox?) trying to guard star NBA wings is just not going to fly, especially with Thibs running the show. Maybe I'm wrong and he decides to make a point, but I'm guessing that Thibs is more likely to reward the defensive effort and improvement RJ has shown and trust that the shot will come around.

If Reggie Bullock was still around, it might be a different story, of course, and it's demonstrably true that Thibs is going away from RJ later in games where he's been struggling (think I saw that he's only averaging 27 min a game over the last 10?), so maybe a reduced role even if he stays a starter might be in the cards if the shooting doesn't turn up?
    A guard who can’t shoot — even one with other positive attributes — will not last long as a starter in today’s NBA. The only exceptions are guards who are superior athletes, like Russell Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Joel Embiid missed 215 out of a possible 246 games during his first three NBA seasons. Zion has already played in considerably more games than Embiid did and he still has the potential of playing in 40-45 games during the remainder of this season.
    There is another picture floating around of Zion attending a NO game this week, and he does not look smaller. at all It's perplexing to me because, while he was huge at Duke, he was in much better shape than he's been in for 2 of his 3 NBA seasons so far. It's common for some players to be able to dominate at the high school level on raw athletic ability and then have to get more fit and round out their games when they reach college. Zion may be the first guy to dominate on raw athletic ability even in the NBA. I am a huge fan, but he will need to get and stay more fit to become possibly the best player in the world and lead a team into serious contention. He has many years to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    He has many years to do so.
    I hope you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    There is another picture floating around of Zion attending a NO game this week, and he does not look smaller. at all It's perplexing to me because, while he was huge at Duke, he was in much better shape than he's been in for 2 of his 3 NBA seasons so far. It's common for some players to be able to dominate at the high school level on raw athletic ability and then have to get more fit and round out their games when they reach college. Zion may be the first guy to dominate on raw athletic ability even in the NBA. I am a huge fan, but he will need to get and stay more fit to become possibly the best player in the world and lead a team into serious contention. He has many years to do so.
    I agree with everything you say. At the same time, it is hard for people to be disciplined eaters. I speak from experience. I wrestled in high school and for one year of college. I had to lose a lot of weight every week to make weight. That wasn't healthy weight loss and mainly largely consisted of dehydration. I was a decent wrestler but ultimately quit in college because I was tired of losing weight.

Now as a 71 year old with a decreased metabolism, I find it very hard to watch my eating (and drinking). It's easy to exercise, and I do. It's hard to eat healthy.

I don't think I'm the exception. I think many, maybe most, people have a hard time watching their diets, their caloric intake and their nutrition.

It speculate that Zion may have a hard time with his diet. If so, I fully sympathize and wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I agree with everything you say. At the same time, it is hard for people to be disciplined eaters. I speak from experience. I wrestled in high school and for one year of college. I had to lose a lot of weight every week to make weight. That wasn't healthy weight loss and mainly largely consisted of dehydration. I was a decent wrestler but ultimately quit in college because I was tired of losing weight.

Now as a 71 year old with a decreased metabolism, I find it very hard to watch my eating (and drinking). It's easy to exercise, and I do. It's hard to eat healthy.

I don't think I'm the exception. I think many, maybe most, people have a hard time watching their diets, their caloric intake and their nutrition.

It speculate that Zion may have a hard time with his diet. If so, I fully sympathize and wish him the best.
    I agree to a point. It depends on the incentives to eat healthy for which a professsional athlete should have plenty. He certainly has the resources to hire a dietician and/or cook to manage his intake.

ESPN's Tim McMahon says his sources are telling him that Zion is... 330 pounds right now.

https://thespun.com/nba/new-orleans-...ighs-right-now

Here is the recent photo that has folks buzzing about his weight again --

-Jason "is there any chance all of this is a larger ploy by Zion to force Nawlins to make a trade?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm sympathetic to Zion, I really am, but he really needs to spend less time worrying about the mess that is NO and more time getting himself in shape, or he truly risks becoming a very sad NBA footnote.

The man's vocation relies on him eating correct. Sure, everyone has issues with being a disciplined eater. But when your career - which is short in nature and pays you $20M+ per year including endorsements - you eat right. It's that simple.

Zion's weight is on Zion. I know we love to blame the Pelicans, the media, etc. But his weight problem is his problem. To me, it's as simple as that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Zion's weight is on Zion. I know we love to blame the Pelicans, the media, etc. But his weight problem is his problem. To me, it's as simple as that.
    And if that were actually simple, the problem would be solved. Personal weight control in the good ol' U.S. of A. is anything but simple. If it isn't difficult for you, personally, count yourself among the fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    And if that were actually simple, the problem would be solved. Personal weight control in the good ol' U.S. of A. is anything but simple. If it isn't difficult for you, personally, count yourself among the fortunate.
    It is difficult, but if my job paid millions AND required me to be in shape, it would be a lot easier to manage. I don't need six pack abs and be able to bench 185lbs 10x to create financial spreadsheets.

I have no sympathy for Zion on the weight side of this. I do have sympathy that he's part of an inept franchise.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

For anyone, losing weight is simple--calories yadda, yadda. But for almost everyone it is NOT easy.

I'm still on team Zion and I hope he figures out the weight issue.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    For anyone, losing weight is simple--calories yadda, yadda. But for almost everyone it is NOT easy.

I'm still on team Zion and I hope he figures out the weight issue.
    OK, that's fair. Simple, but hard. The simple things often are.

And I'm with you on that last part, too.

The man's vocation relies on him eating correct. Sure, everyone has issues with being a disciplined eater. But when your career - which is short in nature and pays you $20M+ per year including endorsements - you eat right. It's that simple.

Phredd3 is spot on. Eating is an addiction, like so many other addictions. For some people, it isn't easy to dramatically change eating habits, or some other habit. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I went to the doctor this morning and was told to eat healthier, exercise more and cut out alcohol. Eating healthier will not be easy for me but I will do my best. Exercising more is not a big problem. Cutting out alcohol is really easy for me (I rarely drink to begin with). For other people, that would be a really big ask and eating healthier might be really easy. There are tricks he can use to help him eat healthier that seem obvious to most of us and hopefully the people around him will help him with this.

I also don't know what motivates Zion. The best players are driven by rings and making more and more money. Zion already has enough money that he never has to work again (assuming he has been remotely prudent). So does he care that much about more money? Most of us are wired that way, but not all of us are. All sports general managers try to understand the mentality of players - will giving them the next big contract cause them to stop caring or will it drive them to prove they earned it?

So...

Any word at all on what Kyrie has been doing the last few months?

It is difficult, but if my job paid millions AND required me to be in shape, it would be a lot easier to manage. I don't need six pack abs and be able to bench 185lbs 10x to create financial spreadsheets.

I have no sympathy for Zion on the weight side of this. I do have sympathy that he's part of an inept franchise.
    How do you know Williamson does not have a medical condition and/or is taking medication that causes significant weight gain?

It’s probably best to not make assumptions about the weight gain of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So...

Research.

So...

I read something that said part of his hesitancy was because of medical mismanagement he’d experienced in the past. I can’t find the article now but, if true, made me wonder if it was toe related.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I read something that said part of his hesitancy was because of medical mismanagement he’d experienced in the past. I can’t find the article now but, if true, made me wonder if it was toe related.
    Maybe there was some mismanagement with health care he received in the past. Nurses and other hospital and medical office personnel do sometimes make mistakes — just like in any other field. But what does that have to do with getting a vaccine that literally takes three seconds to administer and is one of the lowest risk medically-related things one can have done?

If true this would be yet another example of faulty reasoning from Irving.

So...

Irving hasn’t been up to much as far as I know — other than increasing the ire directed at him from the owner, fans, and front office personnel of the Brooklyn Nets (and maybe some of his teammates as well). And I should probably include many non-Nets fans of basketball and even a lot of people who aren’t much interested in sports.

At this point, as far as a majority of the media is concerned, the guy is basically a joke, a laughing stock.