Page 13 of 96 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by “open things up”. I’ve been going all over Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, etc. without any restrictions on anything — other than wearing a mask. Since April I’ve attended music concerts in Raleigh, theatrical plays at UNC, football games at Duke and UNC, a musical at the DPAC in Durham, restaurants galore, at least 10 movies at Silverspot in Chapel Hill, and on and on.

And fans are going to be able to attend Brooklyn Nets games in Brooklyn. It’s just Irving won’t be playing because he’s not vaccinated, that’s all.
    If an individual fan gets sick it doesn't impact the game, or box office, much and it's not very likely a fan will pass anything on to a player at a game. If a player gets sick that could be a big problem for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    If an individual fan gets sick it doesn't impact the game, or box office, much and it's not very likely a fan will pass anything on to a player at a game. If a player gets sick that could be a big problem for the team.
    You are correct, sir!

But until the guy who wore jersey #1 at Duke gets vaccinated, he’s not part of the team anyway, so it’s not really an issue.

Fingers-crossed that he comes to his senses soon. 🤞

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m not betting heavily on anything, but hear rumblings of CA and the most cautious local governments (Bay Area/LA) looking toward an off ramp from local public health mandates (masks, vaccines) in the relatively near future.

Who know what will follow Delta, but Delta seems to be on the wane. Governments are going to open things up if they can. Even the most cautious.
    Not sure what you mean by “open things up”. I’ve been going all over Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, etc. without any restrictions on anything
    California is far different that what goes on anywhere in NC, which is what cato was referencing. (Sigh, letting myself get sucked back in, sorry mods.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not sure what you mean by “open things up”. I’ve been going all over Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, etc. without any restrictions on anything — other than wearing a mask. Since April I’ve attended music concerts in Raleigh, theatrical plays at UNC, football games at Duke and UNC, a musical at the DPAC in Durham, restaurants galore, at least 10 movies at Silverspot in Chapel Hill, and on and on.

And fans are going to be able to attend Brooklyn Nets games in Brooklyn. It’s just Irving won’t be playing because he’s not vaccinated, that’s all.
    Your anecdotes about your activities in NC in response to a discussion of rules in NYC are the same as telling me what yard signs you are seeing in NC for the upcoming NYC mayoral race. I'm sure Curtis Sliwa is making a big push down there...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Your anecdotes about your activities in NC in response to a discussion of rules in NYC are the same as telling me what yard signs you are seeing in NC for the upcoming NYC mayoral race. I'm sure Curtis Sliwa is making a big push down there...
    Hmm, haven’t seen a Curtis Sliwa mention on DBR in quite awhile.

So you’re saying NYC is not allowing the things I mentioned having recently done in North Carolina? Yet next week they will be allowing THOUSANDS of fans to sit in close proximity to each other indoors at the Brooklyn Nets Barclays Center?

I’m confused.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    California is far different that what goes on anywhere in NC, which is what cato was referencing. (Sigh, letting myself get sucked back in, sorry mods.)
    I’ll take your word for the restrictions in CA vs NC, as I really have no idea.

Yet there was my aunt, uncle, and a bunch of cousins sitting among thousands of Dallas Cowboys fans (and the Chargers had a few fans there too) at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles last month. 😐

BTW, any word on Big Z’s progress in regard to his foot injury?

If they're vaccinated. If not, they can watch the game on TV just like Kyrie.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    The crazy thing is - Kyrie is a panacea for NBA talk radio. And bulletin boards. He gives us so much to chat about – he is the best entertainment we have right now. I am almost starting to appreciate him simply as a source of entertainment (while not playing ball).
    If Kyrie did not exist, then Ben Simmons would have to invent him in order to escape the limelight these days.

So many people are dissapointed about other people's views on other people's personal decisions. I can't help but think it is none of your business.

Nolan has a right to his opinion and he is much better informed about Kyrie than 99.9% of you.

Kyrie has a right to his opinion and he is much better informed about Kyrie than 100% of you.

You have a right to your opinion, but so do I, and I say, even as a vaxxed person and someone who helped fund MRNA...

FREE KYRIE

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    So many people are dissapointed about other people's views on other people's personal decisions. I can't help but think it is none of your business.

Nolan has a right to his opinion and he is much better informed about Kyrie than 99.9% of you.

Kyrie has a right to his opinion and he is much better informed about Kyrie than 100% of you.

You have a right to your opinion, but so do I, and I say, even as a vaxxed person and someone who helped fund MRNA...

FREE KYRIE
    No one said Nolan Smith doesn’t have a right to his opinion. Well, at least no one on DBR has said that.

As for Irving, what opinion has he offered? Help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post

FREE KYRIE
    One man’s freedom to swing his fist ends where another man’s nose begins.

It pretty much boils down to that.

I just found out that Irving spoke on Instagram Live yesterday and I read a considerable number of quotes from him. He talks quite a bit about the vaccine and says that he’s neither pro-vaccine nor anti-vaccine, which doesn’t really make sense to me. In my mind if you are choosing not to get the vaccine that means you’re anti-vaccine, so I don’t know why he’s not just coming out and owning it.

It seems like he’s trying to play the middle ground but there really is no middle ground on this. There is no gray area; it’s a black and white issue. You either get the vaccine or you don’t.

I still don’t have any idea what he’s trying to say.
    Last edited by Steven43; 10-14-2021 at 02:37 AM.

I just found out that Irving spoke on Instagram Live yesterday and I read a considerable number of quotes from him. He talks quite a bit about the vaccine and says that he’s neither pro-vaccine nor anti-vaccine, which doesn’t really make sense to me. In my mind if you are choosing not to get the vaccine that means you’re anti-vaccine. And he is choosing not to get the vaccine, so I don’t know why he’s not just coming out and saying he’s anti-vaccine.
    Well, not sure how closely you listened then, because he was quite clear about why he isn't anti-vaccine.

His position, he claims is not political, but is in favor of people not being mandated to do anything with their bodies. He has chosen not to get the vaccine, but he embraces everyone being able to choose their path.

You can say it's nonsense of gobbledygook, but he was straight forward about his reasoning for not considering himself "anti-vax."

In other words, unsurprisingly, Kyrie doesn't give a whit that "in your mind" anyone without the vaccine is anti-vax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, not sure how closely you listened then, because he was quite clear about why he isn't anti-vaccine.

His position, he claims is not political, but is in favor of people not being mandated to do anything with their bodies. He has chosen not to get the vaccine, but he embraces everyone being able to choose their path.

You can say it's nonsense of gobbledygook, but he was straight forward about his reasoning for not considering himself "anti-vax."

In other words, unsurprisingly, Kyrie doesn't give a whit that "in your mind" anyone without the vaccine is anti-vax.
    Look, you either trust the greatest and most-respected scientific and medical minds in the world or you don’t. And they overwhelmingly concur — and the evidence bears this out — that the vaccines are safe and effective and will have saved millions of lives around the world when all is said and done.

It is also a FACT, not an opinion, that the unvaccinated are overwhelming many of our hospitals, as well as our doctors and all related medical staff, and in some instances causing people who aren’t even Covid patients to die or receive a lower quality of care than they would have otherwise received had the hospitals not been overflowing with unvaccinated Covid patients.

So if he trusts in the science why would he have a problem with a medical/science mandate that he believes would potentially help him and others? His opposition to the mandate doesn’t make much sense if he believes the science. And that seems to fit in quite well with his previous comment about thinking the earth is flat.

Look, you either trust the greatest and most-respected scientific and medical minds in the world or you don’t. And they overwhelmingly concur — and the evidence bears this out — that the vaccines are safe and effective and will have saved millions of lives around the world when all is said and done.

It is also a FACT, not an opinion, that the unvaccinated are overwhelming many of our hospitals, as well as our doctors and all related medical staff, and in some instances causing people who aren’t even Covid patients to die or receive a lower quality of care than they would have otherwise received had the hospitals not been overflowing with unvaccinated Covid patients.

So if he trusts in the science why would he have a problem with a medical/science mandate that he believes would potentially help him and others? His opposition to the mandate doesn’t make much sense if he believes the science. And that seems to fit in quite well with his previous comment about thinking the earth is flat.
    I agree with everything you are saying and nothing Kyrie is saying. I was just trying to explain why Kyrie doesn't consider himself anti-vax - the label you are putting on him.

And no, of course it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I wonder how he feels about people being scanned with low dose X-rays to board an airplane. The NBA has rules for its players- the players are “mandated” to show up and play and give interviews etc. All rules are “mandating” that the person do something with their bodies and minds that he or she may not want to do. This seems no different. He is breaking the NBA rule and they are not letting him play. Kyrie has plenty of money and can buy a small island and make his own rules or not. I enjoy watching him play ball but in a few years his body will not allow him to do that at a high level. I wish him the best in his crusade to get rid of rules but I am pretty confident he will be unsuccessful.

17. This is an encouraging quote from Kyrie:

"You think I really want to give up my dream to go after a championship?" Irving said in the video Wednesday. "Do you think I really just want to give up my job? You think I really just want to sit at home and not go after the things with my teammates that I've been able to grow with, to learn with?"

Irving said he has no intentions to retire. "Don't believe that I'm going to give up this game for a vaccine mandate or staying unvaccinated," he said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/14/s...agram-nba-spt/

Yep. The way I read it, we can expect Kyrie back on the court quicker than any of us first anticipated. My guess is he actually will cave and get the vaccine in short order. He’s not going to play the martyr, like a couple of us thought.

It is possible to be anti-mandate without being anti-vax. It is also possible to be anti-mandate while being vaxxed. Kyrie is attempting to conflate the two, which (1) just reads as him being contrarian for its own sake, and (2) doesn’t explain him not getting vaxxed in the months where the shot was readily available but there were no mandates.

IOW he might not be an anti-vaxxer as we use that term generally, but his actions make clear he is anti- this particular vax.

Anyway - his choice. He seems to understand the consequences. He thinks he’s taking a stand and I guess he is, just a nonsensical stand.

The Nets are quite loaded with or without him. I’m sure they’d rather have him than not, but you roll with who you got.

Keyshawn and JWill giving a pretty full throated defense of Kyrie this morning, will be curious how it plays out over the course of the day. Max is cautiously trying to take the opposing view.

ETA: Jay felt compelled to mention that he was vaccinated and got COVID anyway.