Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Nolan isn't wrong, Kyrie is an incredible person.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...v5e-story.html

"Irving donated $1.5 million to WNBA players who otherwise would not have been paid while sitting out of the league’s restart last season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He donated $323,000 toward feeding New York City families at the height of the coronavirus pandemic. He partnered with Nike to donate 17 pallets of food and 50,000 masks to the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, of which he identifies. Most recently, he bought a home for the family of George Floyd, who was killed by a Minneapolis police officer that kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes despite Floyd having died after

That’s not all.

From Dec. 1-11, Irving made donations and charitable gestures every single day.

He donated money to Brooklyn’s Moms of Black Boys United for Social Change. He donated money as a reward to a Bronx family of four that gritted their way from a homeless shelter into permanent housing. He paid the college tuition for nine high school seniors who committed to Lincoln University, a historically black college (HBCU). He donated school supplies to 25 teenage Kenyan girls through an organization dedicated to advocating for women and girls impacted by past trauma. He donated 100 book bags with personal care items to teens and young adults at Newark’s Covenant House shelter.

He donated soil to Greater Newark Conservancy. He donated funds to Christine’s Kitchen, a food pantry and soup kitchen in West Orange, NJ."

Its hard to hate a guy like this even if he once thought the world was flat or he is opposed to getting this vaccine for a personal reason.

Actions speak louder than words to me though I can understand if others disagree with that notion.
    Unfortunately everything in the world today seems to be portrayed as black and white, good vs. evil, etc. But it doesn't work like that. We all know that Kyrie has done some incredible things in his life. He was a wonderful representative of Duke during his time in school. He has been incredibly charitable. He is a world-class basketball player.

But what he is doing now is not good. That doesn't make him a 100% bad person. But he is making a bad choice on a major issue that matters. And his cryptic behavior about it is not helping the situation.

I am all for supporting the Brotherhood but Nolan was not wise in his tweet. He historically has seemed to be an expert at reading the room, but here it seems like he dropped the ball. It's not like someone was sticking a microphone in his face and forcing him to comment on this.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Disappointed in Nolan here.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Do you really expect Nolan do burn some Brotherhood bridges? Not a smart move.
    No, but he can also remain silent and not publicize choosing sides.

Edit, missed CDu's followup.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not saying anything at all would have also avoided burning bridges...
    Exactly.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    But what he is doing now is not good. That doesn't make him a 100% bad person. But he is making a bad choice on a major issue that matters. And his cryptic behavior about it is not helping the situation.

I am all for supporting the Brotherhood but Nolan was not wise in his tweet. He historically has seemed to be an expert at reading the room, but here it seems like he dropped the ball. It's not like someone was sticking a microphone in his face and forcing him to comment on this.
    Yep, if you defend, rather than condemn, the reckless, senseless, and selfish decision of another it makes you a party to it.

I’m wondering now if Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer. If so, he could be putting his career in jeopardy.

To Nolan, KD, Draymond, and everyone else who says, "this is a personal decision for Kyrie and others" I say one thing. If you really think it is ok for these folks not to get vaxxed, then you should have no problem discussing it with a room full of 100 folks who have made the same "personal decision." Have a conference of vax skeptics and you get to be the featured speaker.

I'm betting none of these hoops folks would sign up for that. And if you won't be in the same room with a gaggle of the unvaccinated then how can you possibly say it is ok for them to just be out there wandering around in society.

Attitudes like this have made this crisis 10x worse than it had to be... and Nolan should know better.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yep, if you defend, rather than condemn, the reckless, senseless, and selfish decision of another it makes you a party to it.

I’m wondering now if Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer. If so, he could be putting his career in jeopardy.
    Can we please stop equating opposing mandates with being anti-vaxx? It is possible, even reasonable, to object to both positions but treating them as the same thing isn't doing anyone any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Can we please stop equating opposing mandates with being anti-vaxx? It is possible, even reasonable, to object to both positions but treating them as the same thing isn't doing anyone any good.
    What? A voice of reason? How quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    To Nolan, KD, Draymond, and everyone else who says, "this is a personal decision for Kyrie and others" I say one thing. If you really think it is ok for these folks not to get vaxxed, then you should have no problem discussing it with a room full of 100 folks who have made the same "personal decision." Have a conference of vax skeptics and you get to be the featured speaker.

I'm betting none of these hoops folks would sign up for that. And if you won't be in the same room with a gaggle of the unvaccinated then how can you possibly say it is ok for them to just be out there wandering around in society.

Attitudes like this have made this crisis 10x worse than it had to be... and Nolan should know better.
    I don't think even a majority of people that haven't taken the vaccine are skeptical of its effectiveness at preventing hospitalizations or think the government is trying to harm its citizens or believe in a conspiracy theory like that.

They either don't think they need it due to their age/health, think that vaccinated individuals can still spread the virus (the degree to which is still unclear) so what's the point and don't agree with the government telling them what to do so they're digging their heels in on this particular issue.

Its really unfortunate that the vaccine has become so politicized and neither side is willing to cave.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Its really unfortunate that the vaccine has become so politicized and neither side is willing to cave.
    Why would the side that rightfully knows the benefits of the vaccine to the greater good of the health of the public cave?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nope, I did not say Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer. I said his defense of Kyrie Irving not getting vaccinated makes me WONDER if Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer.

Big distinction, broseph,

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What? A voice of reason? How quaint.
    No, it wasn’t the voice of reason. He assessed my comment incorrectly. If Acy wanted to make a point he should’ve made it without incorrectly referencing my comment.

That being said, I would like to see a scientific reason for opposing public workplace vaccine mandates during a global pandemic.

Nope, I did not say Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer. I said his defense of Kyrie Irving not getting vaccinated makes me WONDER if Nolan Smith is an anti-vaxxer.

Big distinction, broseph,
    And yet you continue to conflate the two things again in this post. It should not make you wonder if Nolan is ant-vaxx. That is my objection.

Also, I know you're just having fun and don't mean anything by it but I would quit with the nicknames for people I'm arguing with if I were you. Makes you come off as a real jerk.

And yet you continue to conflate the two things again in this post. It should not make you wonder if Nolan is ant-vaxx. That is my objection.

Also, I know you're just having fun and don't mean anything by it but I would quit with the nicknames for people I'm arguing with if I were you. Makes you come off as a real jerk.
    Your objection is noted.

And I think your assertion that referring to you as “Acy” instead of “Acymetric” makes me come across as a real jerk is an example of displaced anger on your part.

Your objection is noted.

And I think your assertion that referring to you as “Acy” instead of “Acymetric” makes me come across as a real jerk is an example of displaced anger on your part.
    I was referring to Broseph

I was referring to Broseph
    Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying. 👍🏻

I feel much better now. 😉

Your objection is noted.

Don't be an Acy-hole.

(Apologies to Acymetric)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Don't be an Acy-hole.

(Apologies to Acymetric)
    This just keeps getting better and better! 😉

Kyrie is like “He## yeah, they’re bickering amongst themselves and forgetting about me!”

This just keeps getting better and better! 😉

Kyrie is like “He## yeah, they’re bickering amongst themselves and forgetting about me!”
    Don't worry. Around these parts that won't last long.

I think you are smoking something if you don’t think Durant and harden weren’t involved in this decision. They don’t want or need the drama and KI brings a ton of drama everywhere he goes. The Urban Meyer of the NBA.

Keep the policy discussions somewhere else. Keep the general Covid discussions on the plaguewatch thread.

And maybe give the Kyrie stuff a rest for a bit. We're just talking in circles now, with a lot of people on the edge of a "repetitive rant" infraction.

thanks,

-jk

Here is a nice article from The Athletic ($) that starts talking about Milwaukee's four veteran starters (Jrue, Freak, Middleton, and Lopez) playing together for the first time this preseason... but then morphs into talking about how Grayson Allen fits in with them and how impressed they all appear to be with his play thus far. There appears to be little question that Grayson will be high up in the rotation for the defending champs, and possibly the starter on the wing (he's battling with Connaughton for that role).

Most of the excitement about Allen simply came from his consistent play as he shared the floor with the rest of the starting unit for the first time.

“He’s a great player,” Antetokounmpo said. “He can play. He can shoot it really, really good, and he knows how to play the game. He knows what position you got to be to get the ball. He’s going to help the team a lot. He showed it (Sunday). He showed what he was capable of. We’re going to need this all season long — for him to be aggressive, to get downhill, to make the right pass, to block shots, to make shots. I’m excited. I’m excited to play with him. I’m excited to create more moments with him.”

This is the start of the fourth season Antetokounmpo, Lopez and Middleton will share the starting lineup together in Milwaukee. At this point, those three know exactly where the others want the basketball and how to create looks for each other. It will be Holiday’s second season with the other three starters, and while Holiday admitted their chemistry will always be a work in progress during his postgame media session, all four just won a championship together. They know how to play with each other.

Allen could be the odd man out, but if Sunday night is any indication, it is clear the Bucks are going to go out of their way to make him feel comfortable.

“It’s awesome,” Allen said. “I mean, it was very clear that they were looking for me, so as the new guy out there — and those four guys kind of had their thing going last year — so as the new guy, it is very welcoming, and it feels good. I’m grateful to play with a group of guys that are as unselfish as they are.”
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?