Page 85 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1902
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Great news on Zion getting cleared. Here’s hoping he stays healthy and reminds everyone what a spectacular talent he is next season!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Feels like make or break for the young man. Hope he can blow more minds than sneakers.
    With all the news of his lost 2021-22 season, some seem to forget what Zion has already shown in the NBA -- in 2020-21, he played 33.2 minutes per game (61 games played) and averaged 27.0 pts on 61.1% FG shooting. Certainly rooting for him to establish himself as a consistent star player.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    With all the news of his lost 2021-22 season, some seem to forget what Zion has already shown in the NBA -- in 2020-21, he played 33.2 minutes per game (61 games played) and averaged 27.0 pts on 61.1% FG shooting. Certainly rooting for him to establish himself as a consistent star player.
    Don't think any one forget nor is disputing this when he's playing. But to be a "consistent star player", you need to be on the floor. And that is where Zion hasn't succeeded. Like, at all.

Happy he is cleared to play without restrictions, but he needs to do everything possible to not get re-injured. Easier said then done, I know, but use some of that Nike money to hire an army of nutritionists, chefs, etc.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I like they way you stated that "consistent star player". His talent is obvious and he is a star player anytime he's on the floor. Now for the consistent part...

Would love to see him have 2 or 3 seasons where he's playing 65+ regular season games and all the playoff games (note that with him playing there should be more playoff games to play).

It's going to be fascinating to see what Zion chooses to do, if the front page article is true, i.e. Pelicans won't guarantee a max contract. Will other teams offer trade riches? Pels have legitimate concerns I would say...maybe a contract with a lot of incentives? (they can still do that, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's going to be fascinating to see what Zion chooses to do, if the front page article is true, i.e. Pelicans won't guarantee a max contract. Will other teams offer trade riches? Pels have legitimate concerns I would say...maybe a contract with a lot of incentives? (they can still do that, right?)
    I mean, it's wholly reasonable for the Pels to not sign a max deal. The best ability, and all that.

Depending on Zion's mindset, a short deal or extension - effectively betting on himself - might reap huge benefits. (I don't know enough about NBA contracts to know if that's reasonable. NFL players do it all the time)

This coming season is a very very big one for both Zion and New Orleans.

I mean, it's wholly reasonable for the Pels to not sign a max deal. The best ability, and all that.

Depending on Zion's mindset, a short deal or extension - effectively betting on himself - might reap huge benefits. (I don't know enough about NBA contracts to know if that's reasonable. NFL players do it all the time)

This coming season is a very very big one for both Zion and New Orleans.
    It happens in the NBA too. Jimmy Bulter is probably the most well known example. As a restricted free agent he was looking for $48 millions for 4 years for his second contract. The Bulls low balled him and offered $40 million instead. He turned it down and essential bet on himself...and won. He became an All-Star that season and signed for $90 million for 5 years. He did it again with Minnesota and turned down $100 million. He eventually got $142 million from Miami and then a $184 extension.

So, Tatum is poised to be the first Duke player to lead a team to a NBA title. This is pretty exciting to me.
    Trying to think who the next in line would be, as far as "Duke player who was the leader on a top tier NBA team," and I am failing. Grant Hill teams were sometimes good, but not title contenders. Elton Brand was a Clipper for goodness sakes. Kyrie's ring with the Cavs is a nice feather in the Duke cap, and he made a big impact on that series, but no reasonable person would argue that was Kyrie's team. Jeff Mullins came off the bench on the Warriors 1975 championship team.

Battier won, but wasn't the leader of his squads.

Am I missing someone? Who's the next most successful Duke player to lead a really good NBA team?

So, Tatum is poised to be the first Duke player to lead a team to a NBA title. This is pretty exciting to me.
    Trying to think who the next in line would be, as far as "Duke player who was the leader on a top tier NBA team," and I am failing. Grant Hill teams were sometimes good, but not title contenders. Elton Brand was a Clipper for goodness sakes. Kyrie's ring with the Cavs is a nice feather in the Duke cap, and he made a big impact on that series, but no reasonable person would argue that was Kyrie's team. Jeff Mullins came off the bench on the Warriors 1975 championship team.

Am I missing someone? Who's the next most successful Duke player to lead a really good NBA team?
    Kyrie gets at least a Robin to LBJ's Batman I would say

I agree. But my question is the best team led by a Duke player.

Kyrie made arguably the biggest and most iconic shot in NBA Finals history; he deserves a TON of kudos and glory but, yeah, not LBJ

Ingram on the Pelicans…this year at least. Boozer was arguably the best player on his Jazz teams, which were pretty good.

Ingram was the best player for his playoff team this year

Edit: should have refreshed before posting that

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Ingram was the best player for his playoff team this year

Edit: should have refreshed before posting that
    Ingram is a ways from being on a title contender though. Is Tatum the Duke player to lead the best NBA team? Who is second in history, is my question.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ingram on the Pelicans…this year at least. Boozer was arguably the best player on his Jazz teams, which were pretty good.
    How far did those Jazz teams get? Did they ever reach the Western Conference Finals?

I mean, there's no way the 2003 Spurs win the title without Danny Ferry's 9 minutes per game (he averaged better than 1 ppg and 1 rpg).

-Jason "bonus points if you can name the basketball person in photo #2 who is still very much relevant in the NBA today" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

How far did those Jazz teams get? Did they ever reach the Western Conference Finals?
    In 2007, Carlos was an All-Star and the Jazz reached the WCF (lost to the Spurs 4-1). He was probably the best player on that team, though Deron Williams was a pretty good PG who would later blossom into a better player than Carlos.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I agree. But my question is the best team led by a Duke player.
    These Celtics. Don't think it's really debatable.

Dukies rarely have number 1 options who lead teams through the playoffs.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I completely agree. Unfortunately Dukies being the #1 option on championship teams is not a thing in the NBA. Hopefully Tatum can start a new tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I agree. And I guess Boozer is the next closest?

I agree. And I guess Boozer is the next closest?
    Ky-REE.