Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Anyone who can win an NCAA title and two championship on two different teams and be the 4th richest basketball player in history has something going on.

https://ceoworld.biz/2020/12/30/worl...-players-2021/
    That is a hilarious mistake. Looking through that list (riches basketball players), there seems to be a lot of bad data. I have to imagine that as a part owner of the Hawks, Grant Hill's net worth is greater than $180MM, but maybe I am wrong. I had no idea Junior Bridgeman was that successful of a businessman - amazing. Emeka Okafor also seems suspiciously high. I feel like some low level editorial staffer who was not long for the job threw a bunch of bs into this list to have some fun.

wow, someone was wearing her stupid hat when she wrote that, good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    That is a hilarious mistake. Looking through that list (riches basketball players), there seems to be a lot of bad data. I have to imagine that as a part owner of the Hawks, Grant Hill's net worth is greater than $180MM, but maybe I am wrong. I had no idea Junior Bridgeman was that successful of a businessman - amazing. Emeka Okafor also seems suspiciously high. I feel like some low level editorial staffer who was not long for the job threw a bunch of bs into this list to have some fun.
    Bridgeman's success as a franchisee is astounding. It began while he was still playing, on a $350,000 contract that was the highest he would ever earn. He opened a Wendy's franchise, and by the time he retired he had three. He studied the business and was hands on in the restaurant.

I remember reading a story (can't find it now) of how he'd inspect his various stores and work the machines during busy times to see how the team functioned. One day someone recognized him working the fry machine and took pity on this former NBA player who was now broke and working at Wendy's--not realizing he owned hundreds of stores by that point. Bridgeman now owns somewhere around 300 restaurants, mostly Wendy's and Chili's, with a net worth over $600 million.

Many teams training camps open today, and the media sessions should start kicking out a lot of content, here's a surprising bit of news. Big dudes with foot problems...no bueno.

@ShamsCharania
    Pelicans' Zion Williamson had surgery for a fractured right foot this offseason and should return for the start of the regular season, David Griffin says.

Many teams training camps open today, and the media sessions should start kicking out a lot of content, here's a surprising bit of news. Big dudes with foot problems...no bueno.

@ShamsCharania
    Pelicans' Zion Williamson had surgery for a fractured right foot this offseason and should return for the start of the regular season, David Griffin says.
    The “real” Duke curse.🥵

I'll give a few bucks to charity for each day we don't hear about Zion's camp being unhappy in NO.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The “real” Duke curse.🥵
    Sadly, this feels very true to me. So many years of seeing Duke players injured, both while playing in college and going to the pros. Just way too many injuries over the decades.

I’m now getting concerned that Zion may be one of those players that picks up a significant injury every year or two going forward. That’s not gonna be good.

I chalk up a lot of the foot stuff to the basic physics of big men...the bones of the foot are relatively small, and they get enormous stress from the likes of players like Brand, Boozer and Zion. Metatarsals and the like don't seem to be much of a problem for more average sized individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I chalk up a lot of the foot stuff to the basic physics of big men...the bones of the foot are relatively small, and they get enormous stress from the likes of players like Brand, Boozer and Zion. Metatarsals and the like don't seem to be much of a problem for more average sized individuals.
    + Grant and Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    + Grant and Kyrie
    true, though Kyrie was a toe, Grant an ankle, right? Both of those guys ended up doing OK...

true, though Kyrie was a toe, Grant an ankle, right? Both of those guys ended up doing OK...
    Well, Grant Hill was never the same after a series of ankle injuries. From 1996-2000, Grant Hill was 1st or 2nd team All-NBA every year. Put another way, from the age of 23-27, he was consistently among the 10 best players in the league. Then, he injured his ankle and he only played in an average of 14 games per season over the next 4 years. At the age of 32, he was finally somewhat healthy again and played in 67 games, again making the NBA all-star team. He continued to suffer injuries and the effects of age as his game declined from there. Grant's ankle robbed him of 4 years when he was almost certain to be among the best players in the league. It also probably robbed him of his best chance at extended playoff success as a healthy Grant would have combined with Tracy McGrady to really give Orlando a chance at being a contender.

Sigh...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, Grant Hill was never the same after a series of ankle injuries. From 1996-2000, Grant Hill was 1st or 2nd team All-NBA every year. Put another way, from the age of 23-27, he was consistently among the 10 best players in the league. Then, he injured his ankle and he only played in an average of 14 games per season over the next 4 years. At the age of 32, he was finally somewhat healthy again and played in 67 games, again making the NBA all-star team. He continued to suffer injuries and the effects of age as his game declined from there. Grant's ankle robbed him of 4 years when he was almost certain to be among the best players in the league. It also probably robbed him of his best chance at extended playoff success as a healthy Grant would have combined with Tracy McGrady to really give Orlando a chance at being a contender.

Sigh...
    yeah, I get all that, but the original assertion concerned foot injuries...

Re Quinn's supposed wealth. Around this Rocky Mountain resort town, when suspiciously young people show up and buy expensive homes, the question among the realtors is usually, "Marijuana or Bitcoin?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Re Quinn's supposed wealth. Around this Rocky Mountain resort town, when suspiciously young people show up and buy expensive homes, the question among the realtors is usually, "Marijuana or Bitcoin?"
    We had a run in the 1970s where many young guys (barely out of high school) were driving fancy new trucks and buying homes with cash because the cops didn't understand how pot was grown (kids were growing fields with up to 8,000 high grade plants). The era didn't last too long, but some small fortunes were made.

We had a run in the 1970s where many young guys (barely out of high school) were driving fancy new trucks and buying homes with cash because the cops didn't understand how pot was grown (kids were growing fields with up to 8,000 high grade plants). The era didn't last too long, but some small fortunes were made.
    Well both marijuana cultivation and Bitcoin speculation are legal in Colorado. My question was not to cast aspersions on the buyers, but to suggest that fortunes can be made in non-traditional ways.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well both marijuana cultivation and Bitcoin speculation are legal in Colorado. My question was not to cast aspersions on the buyers, but to suggest that fortunes can be made in non-traditional ways.
    I understand. Though there are no doubt limits to how much you can grow...

This thread has taken an unexpected turn.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    tis the harvest season!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes - the primary topic has gone up in smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yes - the primary topic has gone up in smoke.
    Well, that was blunt.