Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    https://www.dailynews.com/2021/09/18...erm-prospects/
    Ballmer mentions Luke Kennard and Justice Winslow on his comments for next season. Harry Giles has to show he is worth keeping. New Arena near Sofi Stadium most advanced sports building in the World. Hollywood Race Track was razed for the Sofi Stadium in Inglewood. Not sure precise location of the new Intuit Arena. Ballmer is one of the wealthiest owners in all of professional sports.

I also read Okafor signed a contract with the Hawks similar to Giles.
    https://hoopshype.com/2021/09/16/haw...jahlil-okafor/

"Ballmer said he spent years traveling the country to study stadiums and arenas, drawing inspiration from places such as the student section at Duke -- which will be reflected in a section of 51 uninterrupted rows of the stadium called "The Wall" -- as well as the slope of Utah's Vivint Arena and end zone suites at football stadiums.

He also had several guiding principles from his own fan experience that are emphasized in the design. To Ballmer, it's essential for fans to be in their seats, watching basketball and cheering as much as possible. So to minimize the time fans have to be away from their seats, he says, the Intuit Dome will have more legroom than any other arena in the NBA, double the number of toilets and no checkout lines at concession stands (everything will be ordered online).

"I feed off of the energy in the building," Ballmer said. "But people go away and they get late to games or they don't get back from halftime. I really want to make sure people are in their seats so ... that energy, we feed off of it."

SI is doing their annual ranking of the Top 100 players in the NBA. Today, they released #s 100-51. Just one Dukie made the list:

81. Seth Curry, 76ers

I assume we'll see RJ Barrett, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, Zion Williamson, and Kyrie Irving in the Top 50 and maybe as many as 3 in the Top 25.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/20/ra...s-top-100-2022

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    SI is doing their annual ranking of the Top 100 players in the NBA. Today, they released #s 100-51. Just one Dukie made the list:

81. Seth Curry, 76ers

I assume we'll see RJ Barrett, Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum, Zion Williamson, and Kyrie Irving in the Top 50 and maybe as many as 3 in the Top 25.

Black Falcon at 67 only Cheat player in Top 100 I guess? Unless they find a place for Hansbro in top 50.😊

81. Seth Curry, 76ers

Good for Seth. From undrafted, to bouncing around and trying to catch on to key player and top 100 in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Black Falcon at 67 only Cheat player in Top 100 I guess? Unless they find a place for Hansbro in top 50.😊
    Yes, arnie, we seem to be at the point where recruits aren't old enough to remember tarheel NBA stars...Michael Jordan is just some geezer who sells shoes. To me, having guys in the league like Kyrie, Tatum and Zion trumps many other considerations including NIL...kids like to go to school where the cool kids have gone.

For those who are 247 subscribers (Devils Den) there is a dyspetically fun thread over on IC Premium concerning Lively's recruitment...it meanders from hope we get Lively, to why can't we get players like LIvely, to at least Duke isn't getting Lively, to uh oh, it looks like Duke is getting Lively.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, arnie, we seem to be at the point where recruits aren't old enough to remember tarheel NBA stars...Michael Jordan is just some geezer who sells shoes. To me, having guys in the league like Kyrie, Tatum and Zion trumps many other considerations including NIL...kids like to go to school where the cool kids have gone.

For those who are 247 subscribers (Devils Den) there is a dyspetically fun thread over on IC Premium concerning Lively's recruitment...it meanders from hope we get Lively, to why can't we get players like LIvely, to at least Duke isn't getting Lively, to uh oh, it looks like Duke is getting Lively.
    I gotta spread sporks, but I just love the phrase "dyspeptically fun". I don't think I've ever seen that phrase before, and it is delicious when applied to Tarheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I gotta spread sporks, but I just love the phrase "dyspeptically fun". I don't think I've ever seen that phrase before, and it is delicious when applied to Tarheels.
    It is definitely a delicious form of schadenfreude, Phredd...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

I don't go over to IC, but maybe I should tonight, sometime around 8 or 9 p.m., when it has all settled in.

I don't go over to IC, but maybe I should tonight, sometime around 8 or 9 p.m., when it has all settled in.
    Yep we may help overload that site and bring her down. Think I’ll join in for free fun.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yep we may help overload that site and bring her down. Think I’ll join in for free fun.
    The IC is best to visit when something great happens to Duke. It's a blend of, "they cheated", "why can't UNC be like that", "I'd rather have our coach/recruits/players", and "we still have Michael Jordan". Their petty fights make our petty fights look like we're solving the US deficit.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    "Ballmer said he spent years traveling the country to study stadiums and arenas, drawing inspiration from places such as the student section at Duke -- which will be reflected in a section of 51 uninterrupted rows of the stadium called "The Wall" -- as well as the slope of Utah's Vivint Arena and end zone suites at football stadiums.

He also had several guiding principles from his own fan experience that are emphasized in the design. To Ballmer, it's essential for fans to be in their seats, watching basketball and cheering as much as possible. So to minimize the time fans have to be away from their seats, he says, the Intuit Dome will have more legroom than any other arena in the NBA, double the number of toilets and no checkout lines at concession stands (everything will be ordered online).

"I feed off of the energy in the building," Ballmer said. "But people go away and they get late to games or they don't get back from halftime. I really want to make sure people are in their seats so ... that energy, we feed off of it."
    This will be the most spectacular basketball arena from a design standpoint.https://urbanize.city/la/post/la-cli...groundbreaking

JJ Redick Retiring?

Description from his latest podcast entitled "Retirement":

"All good things must come to an end. It’s a cliche thats used often but rarely does it hold its true meaning. This, however, is not one of those instances. On this special episode of the Old Man and the Three, it is with a heavy heart that JJ Redick - after 15 years of excellence in the NBA, two national player of the year awards during a spectacular four year college career at Duke, and a state championship at Cave Spring High School in Roanoke - is finally calling it a game. Yes, you read that correctly, JJ Redick is retiring. In this candid, honest, and humbling statement, JJ addresses the people closest to him - his family, friends and fans - to explain the reasoning behind his decision and also offers a glimpse of what may lie ahead for him as he takes the next step of his journey."

SI's top 100 countdown continues today with 50-31. Brandon Ingram checks in at #33 (up from #36 last season). Still just 24 years old, Ingram has proven to be an effective scorer in the NBA and should be a borderline All-Star for the next 7-10 years. I think the synopsis is fair, that he has to figure out how to translate his defensive tools into on-court production in order to reach the next level.

It's interesting to see that Ben Simmons, selected ahead of Ingram, now checks in at #31 overall, having dropped from #21 the year before. Ingram has sort of set a baseline for his offensive performance but has upside remaining whereas Simmons has kind of soured due to lack of development or bad fit.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/21/ra...ok-ben-simmons

Still waiting on Barrett (surprised he hasn't shown up yet, to be honest), Tatum, Zion, and Kyrie.

SI's top 100 countdown continues today with 50-31. Brandon Ingram checks in at #33 (up from #36 last season). Still just 24 years old, Ingram has proven to be an effective scorer in the NBA and should be a borderline All-Star for the next 7-10 years. I think the synopsis is fair, that he has to figure out how to translate his defensive tools into on-court production in order to reach the next level.

It's interesting to see that Ben Simmons, selected ahead of Ingram, now checks in at #31 overall, having dropped from #21 the year before. Ingram has sort of set a baseline for his offensive performance but has upside remaining whereas Simmons has kind of soured due to lack of development or bad fit.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/21/ra...ok-ben-simmons

Still waiting on Barrett (surprised he hasn't shown up yet, to be honest), Tatum, Zion, and Kyrie.
    I'll be surprised if Barrett is top 30. I suspect he's on the other end of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll be surprised if Barrett is top 30. I suspect he's on the other end of the list.
    They posted 100-51 yesterday and he wasn't on that list, which surprised me. Did they forget? Or maybe he'll be 30 or 29. He had a pretty significant jump from his rookie to sophomore season. I don't see him as a top 30 player, but it would be more insane to suggest that he's not in the top 100 of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    They posted 100-51 yesterday and he wasn't on that list, which surprised me. Did they forget? Or maybe he'll be 30 or 29. He had a pretty significant jump from his rookie to sophomore season. I don't see him as a top 30 player, but it would be more insane to suggest that he's not in the top 100 of the NBA.
    First off, can we agree that SI.com, with it's constantly annoying pop-up videos, "i don't want it to expand" massive header banners, and generally awful UI is THE WORST!

That being said, one of those massive expanded banner headers just featured the video "Was RJ Barrett snubbed?" so, yeah, I think he's outside the top 100 on the list. Based on some of the guys I saw in the lower part of the rankings, you could make a case to have him in there but he hasn't proven to be a shoe in, yet. 100 players is 3 from each team. Some teams have more than 3 top 100 players so the math is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    First off, can we agree that SI.com, with it's constantly annoying pop-up videos, "i don't want it to expand" massive header banners, and generally awful UI is THE WORST!

That being said, one of those massive expanded banner headers just featured the video "Was RJ Barrett snubbed?" so, yeah, I think he's outside the top 100 on the list. Based on some of the guys I saw in the lower part of the rankings, you could make a case to have him in there but he hasn't proven to be a shoe in, yet. 100 players is 3 from each team. Some teams have more than 3 top 100 players so the math is tough.
    I'll be far more surprised if he is number 29 than if he is number 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

There is not a world in which any team would take Larry Nance, Jr., Derrick White, or Dillon Brooks over RJ Barrett. That's absurd.

It looks like Quinn Cook has signed a 1-year (non-guaranteed) deal with Portland, according to his social media.

Are there any Dukies you root harder for than Cook? Hoping he catches on at Portland or somewhere this season.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    It looks like Quinn Cook has signed a 1-year (non-guaranteed) deal with Portland, according to his social media.

Are there any Dukies you root harder for than Cook? Hoping he catches on at Portland or somewhere this season.
    Anyone who can win an NCAA title and two championship on two different teams and be the 4th richest basketball player in history has something going on.

https://ceoworld.biz/2020/12/30/worl...-players-2021/