Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NBA 2021-22

I'll start the discussion with this photo of Jayson Tatum (linked by the DBR main page) --

Holy #&#^!&!@

Tatum is bringing it this season!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Check out this video of Tatum and RJ playing recently with the Pure Sweat group. Both look nasty.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTQZ8SY...dium=copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll start the discussion with this photo of Jayson Tatum (linked by the DBR main page) --

Holy #&#^!&!@

"Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Holy #&#^!&!@

At what point can your arms get too muscular to shoot a basketball?

Wow, those muscles are almost cinematically shiny, at a Carl Weathers/Michael B. Jordan level.

Maybe Jayson Tatum could slow-motion run on the beach in his next Gatorade commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    At what point can your arms get too muscular to shoot a basketball?
    Don't think Tatum is anywhere close to that, don't worry (his arms do not look like that when he isn't holding a giant dumbbell). Still, great to see our guys working hard and looking good in the offseason!

I saw that Okafor was part of the Nets deal with with Detroit. Glad to see him playing on a good team and there is an opportunity for minutes- especially if Aldridge doesn’t work out.

Holy #&#^!&!@

Just think of how good Kevin Durant would be if he had muscles like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I saw that Okafor was part of the Nets deal with with Detroit. Glad to see him playing on a good team and there is an opportunity for minutes- especially if Aldridge doesn’t work out.
    He is so skilled offensively, just hard to understand how he can't get minutes somewhere.

Is he that much of a liability on defense?

Harry to the Clips

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cli...ng-camp-center

Luke, Justise and Harry - another Duke in the NBA squad to watch.

Some good news and bad news regarding Jahlil Okafor.

First, a group of former Pelicans--including former Duke players Jahlil Okafor and Frank Jackson--are part of a group lead gold medalist duo Jrue & Lauren Holiday that are providing supplies for relief form Hurricane Ida:

Just wonderful to see this kind of support even though those players no longer play for the Pelicans.

Those kind acts unfortunately were met with the news that the Nets have waived Jahlil Okafor.

Hope Jahlil is able to find a spot with another NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Harry to the Clips

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cli...ng-camp-center

Luke, Justise and Harry - another Duke in the NBA squad to watch.
    I see the Clippers are trying to win me back as a fan (I was a fan when JJ played for them). It might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Some good news and bad news regarding Jahlil Okafor.

First, a group of former Pelicans--including former Duke players Jahlil Okafor and Frank Jackson--are part of a group lead gold medalist duo Jrue & Lauren Holiday that are providing supplies for relief form Hurricane Ida:

Just wonderful to see this kind of support even though those players no longer play for the Pelicans.

Those kind acts unfortunately were met with the news that the Nets have waived Jahlil Okafor.

Hope Jahlil is able to find a spot with another NBA team.
    Still on Sam’s team

Jahlil signs with the Hawks. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Jahlil signs with the Hawks. Interesting.
    With Okongwu injured until January, the Hawks have some backup big man minutes available.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With Okongwu injured until January, the Hawks have some backup big man minutes available.
    Do they? Gorgui Dieng is also a new signing by the Hawks, and figures to be ahead of Jahlil in the rotation given that he's been a productive NBA player for 8 seasons now.

I'm glad Jah has caught on for the time being and would obviously love to see him stick here in Atlanta, but I think he's really got work to do to earn a permanent roster spot, let alone real minutes. It's a non-guaranteed contract, so I'll consider it a win if Jah makes it out of training camp and earns a regular season roster spot (even if it's a two-way G-League deal).

I wasn't sure where to put this, and I don't think it deserves its own thread, but Steve Ballmer in an interview with ESPN about the new stadium he is building for the Clippers mentioned Cameron as an inspiration for at least part of the arena:
    Ballmer said he spent years traveling the country to study stadiums and arenas, drawing inspiration from places such as the student section at Duke -- which will be reflected in a section of 51 uninterrupted rows of the stadium called "The Wall" -- as well as the slope of Utah's Vivint Arena and end zone suites at football stadiums. [Source]
    I thought that was pretty cool. I'm curious to see what that Section 51 looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Do they? Gorgui Dieng is also a new signing by the Hawks, and figures to be ahead of Jahlil in the rotation given that he's been a productive NBA player for 8 seasons now.

I'm glad Jah has caught on for the time being and would obviously love to see him stick here in Atlanta, but I think he's really got work to do to earn a permanent roster spot, let alone real minutes. It's a non-guaranteed contract, so I'll consider it a win if Jah makes it out of training camp and earns a regular season roster spot (even if it's a two-way G-League deal).
    Yup, I'm aware of Dieng being on the roster, but the injury to Okongwu does mean there is, potentially, a deep bench backup big man role that Jah could fill. It is not like he has been signed by a team that already has 15 guaranteed contracts and 3 clear and obvious players ahead of him in the rotation.

It seems like that Jah will be battling the recently signed Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot for the final roster spot on the Hawks. They don't play the same position, the Frenchman is a 3 and D wing who was with the Nets the past couple seasons, but they are both NBA vets on non-guaranteed deals on a team that has only used 14 of its 15 roster spots.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this, and I don't think it deserves its own thread, but Steve Ballmer in an interview with ESPN about the new stadium he is building for the Clippers mentioned Cameron as an inspiration for at least part of the arena:
    I thought that was pretty cool. I'm curious to see what that Section 51 looks like.
    Probably resembles Area 51?

LA Clippers news

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/09/18...erm-prospects/
    Ballmer mentions Luke Kennard and Justice Winslow on his comments for next season. Harry Giles has to show he is worth keeping. New Arena near Sofi Stadium most advanced sports building in the World. Hollywood Race Track was razed for the Sofi Stadium in Inglewood. Not sure precise location of the new Intuit Arena. Ballmer is one of the wealthiest owners in all of professional sports.

I also read Okafor signed a contract with the Hawks similar to Giles.
    https://hoopshype.com/2021/09/16/haw...jahlil-okafor/

Giles

Harry's contract looks like he has to perform,but it is guaranteed.