Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justise Winslow

Justise Winslow

In the article on the front page Julio discusses Justise’s hip replacement surgery and can’t remember another pro athlete comeback from that. Bo Jackson did, at least briefly.

Best wishes to Justise.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'd happily defer to our medical experts, but I find it inconceivable he can play hoops with a full hip replacement. Do we know it was that? The articles aren't that clear...my wife had one a few years ago, it works fabulously, but I just can't see the jumping being feasible...

let's ask bolognesi !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    let's ask bolognesi !!
    The closest I can think of is Bo Jackson. He played baseball for a while after hip surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In the article on the front page Julio discusses Justise’s hip replacement surgery and can’t remember another pro athlete comeback from that. Bo Jackson did, at least briefly.

Best wishes to Justise.
    The Justise Winslow passage is only about 10 percent of a much larger article on the Clippers' efforts and success at rehabbing players. It is stated plainly, but I would like corroboration from another source:

Justise Winslow was the first new addition to the Clippers roster this offseason, and he arrives off the back of two seasons dealing with severe injury issues to his back and hip — the latter requiring hip replacement surgery, a huge career setback for a player who just turned 25 back in March.

Fans will be hoping Justise can find form and fitness in L.A., and off previous evidence, this may just be the perfect environment to do it in. As a player with potential on both ends of the floor, Winslow could be the perfect pick up if he can prosper in the absence of Kawhi. He’ll certainly be given all the tools to grow.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Justise had the hip replacement surgery more than a year ago. It is what held him out of the end of the 2019-20 season and the beginning of the 2020-21 season. He made his post-hip replacement debut in February and played the final couple months of this past season on the replacement hip. He averaged 6.8ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 1.8 apg in just under 20 mpg off the bench for Memphis. He showed a lot of rust, shooting just .352 from the field and an anemic 18% from 3-point range. One would expect those number to improve with a full off-season and pre-season training regimen.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Andy Murray who played a five set tennis match yesterday at US Open had hip resurfacing surgery in order to return to tennis. I wonder why Winslow did not opt for that.
    Harold Solomon had total hip replacement and returned to the pro tour in 1980s.
    I had my first THR in 2002 and returned to playing tennis tournaments 2 years later. I never was the same. 2 months ago I had my other hip replaced and hope to be playing golf again this fall. Running is out of the question.
    I wish the best for Winslow but believe 15-20 minutes PT at 100% is a realistic goal. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd happily defer to our medical experts, but I find it inconceivable he can play hoops with a full hip replacement. Do we know it was that? The articles aren't that clear...my wife had one a few years ago, it works fabulously, but I just can't see the jumping being feasible...
    Well but what about the numbers? How’s her vertical leap?

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Andy Murray who played a five set tennis match yesterday at US Open had hip resurfacing surgery in order to return to tennis. I wonder why Winslow did not opt for that.
    Harold Solomon had total hip replacement and returned to the pro tour in 1980s.
    I had my first THR in 2002 and returned to playing tennis tournaments 2 years later. I never was the same. 2 months ago I had my other hip replaced and hope to be playing golf again this fall. Running is out of the question.
    I wish the best for Winslow but believe 15-20 minutes PT at 100% is a realistic goal. Hope I am wrong.
    yeah, I'm just wondering if the reporting is correct...I can see playing NBA hoops after resurfacing, but I just can't see it with a full ball and socket replacement.

yeah, I'm just wondering if the reporting is correct...I can see playing NBA hoops after resurfacing, but I just can't see it with a full ball and socket replacement.
    If I'm remembering correctly, super athlete, Bo Jackson had his baseball career end with hip replacement surgery. I just don't see how any athlete could play NBA basketball after that surgery. Best wishes to a Dukie to prove me wrong.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, super athlete, Bo Jackson had his baseball career end with hip replacement surgery. I just don't see how any athlete could play NBA basketball after that surgery. Best wishes to a Dukie to prove me wrong.

GoDuke!
    yeah, that's my point...and hoops requires a whole lot more jumping than baseball...

Hip replacements have come a long, long way since the days of Bo Jackson. It still trikes me as an uphill battle to be an impact player at the NBA level, but the progress there is really amazing (I just had a close family member get a hip replacement this summer). There are a ton of injuries that used to spell certain doom for NBA players and NFL skill position players (Achilles and ACL for example) but have advanced enough that guys can regain some if not all of their prior athleticism. Hip replacement is more of a roadblock than those two surgeries I would guess, but nowhere near the obstacle it was even just 10 years ago.

Far from a guarantee, but best wishes to Winslow in his comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    The hip replacement surgery ended his NFL career (actually I guess the damaged hip ended his NFL career), but he did have a bit of a baseball career thereafter. But his effectiveness as a runner was greatly reduced (formerly a 30/30 candidate, he stole just one base afterward), and he was essentially a DH afterwards. But he played about half of the 1993 season and he played the 1994 strike season before retiring at age 32 after the strike.

But that was 30 years ago, so I suspect the technology is much better now than it was back then. And Winslow has already returned to the NBA court post-surgery. So hopefully he can regain some of his level of play.

yeah, that's my point...and hoops requires a whole lot more jumping than baseball...
    Just to be clear on Bo Jackson, he did play pro sports after hip replacement surgery, not basketball or football though.

A hip injury in 1991 ended his pro football career.
    He had hip replacement surgery in 1992.
    Bo played pro baseball in 1993 and 1994.
    Then there was the baseball strike '94-'95 and Bo retired from baseball at age 32.

Wikipedia Linky

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The hip replacement surgery ended his NFL career (actually I guess the damaged hip ended his NFL career), but he did have a bit of a baseball career thereafter. But his effectiveness as a runner was greatly reduced (formerly a 30/30 candidate, he stole just one base afterward), and he was essentially a DH afterwards. But he played about half of the 1993 season and he played the 1994 strike season before retiring at age 32 after the strike.

But that was 30 years ago, so I suspect the technology is much better now than it was back then. And Winslow has already returned to the NBA court post-surgery. So hopefully he can regain some of his level of play.
    Bo Jackson's injury was a controversial topic when I opined about it ten years ago here, so I will be careful. Bo's hip disintegrated from a never acknowledged medical or physical cause. This wasn't just a middled-aged problem of excessive wear through exercise or trauma, where hip replacement gets rid of the pain -- this was a big time surgical problem -- as I understand it. I doubt that it was comparable to Justise's injury.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Bo Jackson's injury was a controversial topic when I opined about it ten years ago here, so I will be careful. Bo's hip disintegrated from a never acknowledged medical or physical cause. This wasn't just a middled-aged problem of excessive wear through exercise or trauma, where hip replacement gets rid of the pain -- this was a big time surgical problem -- as I understand it. I doubt that it was comparable to Justise's injury.
    From the Wikipedia article I linked in post #14

"Within a month of the injury, Jackson had been diagnosed with avascular necrosis of the hip joint. He also was found to have lost all of the cartilage supporting his hip."

Do we know anything about what led to this surgery? My understanding is that surgeons don't like to do hip replacement surgery on patients under age 55 because hip replacements don't last forever and they can't keep replacing them. I would think it would take something quite severe like avascular necrosis to justice hip replacement surgery at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I'm quite up to date on the technology, as my wife had a hip replacement just a few years ago...we had extensive conversations with the surgeon, and while the procedures are wonderfully productive, I remain skeptical that someone could have a FULL hip replacement and play NBA basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    I had my first THR in 2002 and returned to playing tennis tournaments 2 years later.
    Wait just a minute. You played on one of the professional tennis🎾 tours??

Well, he had a pretty substantial hip injury which required surgery. It was thought to be successful, and he returned to baseball the following year. But the surgery led to necrosis, which cut short his 1991 season, and ultimately required hip replacement surgery. He missed most of 1991 and all of 1992 before returning in 1993.

The hip replacement was completely successful. What caused the hip replacement was a combination of an acute football injury and subsequent necrosis. So that part is definitely different, along with the sport and the technology improvements in the last 30 years.

But yes, hopefully it isn't really hip replacement and was something more like hip resurfacing. But since he's already returned to the NBA from whatever procedure it was, it's more a question of whether he can get back to something near form rather than whether he can play.