Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Miami having a real tough time against App State.

You may remember that Brice is their quarterback. They had a good chance to win the game but on the last series he looked pretty much like he did all season at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Arkansas is currently beating the stuffing out of Texas. I’m a happy camper.
    But, you see, Texas will be much better when they join the SEC . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Miami having a real tough time against App State.

You may remember that Brice is their quarterback. They had a good chance to win the game but on the last series he looked pretty much like he did all season at Duke.
    The two dropped passes were not on Brice. Either of those stay in the hands, the likely would win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The two dropped passes were not on Brice. Either of those stay in the hands, the likely would win.
    He didn't run the offense with any authority when they needed him, imo. He acted like it was the middle of the third quarter when there was only a minute and change left in the game and they needed a score to win.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But, you see, Texas will be much better when they join the SEC . . . .
    Welcome to the SEC, Texas!

Sad that #9 Iowa State lost. I would have loved to see a Big XII remainder team (as in, not Oklahoma or Texas) crash the playoff this year. TCU is next up at #26.

But, but...

And can somebody please explain to me why Notre Dame is in the top 10? Even top 20?

Doeren at State channels his inner Cut by driving down the field vs. Mississippi State, inside the ten, fake handoff, jump pass....interception. Ah, the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And can somebody please explain to me why Notre Dame is in the top 10? Even top 20?
    I bet they end up the season unranked. Not just the Toledo scare, but FSU losing to Jacksonville State revealed that their Week 1 win was sorta worthless...

Again, looks like an Alabama stomps everyone year.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    As a lifelong ND fan... No. They are replacing some key positions on the Oline, and thus far the performance has been very inconsistent and generally poor. They aren't run-blocking well, and too many missed assignments in pass blocking has led to far too many sacks [and turnovers]. On the defensive side, where they are also replacing some key talent that left for the NFL, players seem to be having a tough time adjusting to new DC Marcus Freeman's scheme, and that has led to some very ugly broken plays and missed assignments thus far. They're definitely not a top 10 team right now, and not playing like top 20 either IMO. More likely somewhere in the 20-25 range or 'just outside'.

(ADDED): Also... No mention of the fact that former Duke player Damond Philyaw-Johnson stuck the dagger in FSU's heart last night? Bet that had to feel pretty darn good!

(My bad... I see it was noted on the ACC Week 2 FB thread)
    Last edited by Papa John; 09-12-2021 at 11:07 AM.

BYU surprises perhaps even itself to beat its arch-rival Utah for the first time in ten years!

And there was much rejoicing.

There’s a joke in there somewhere about minstrels and the Donner Party, but I’m too lazy to work it put.

BYU surprises perhaps even itself to beat its arch-rival Utah for the first time in ten years!

The Big XII boost

Let's hear it for Duke grad Damon Philyaw-Johnson and his game winning TD as JaxvlleSt beats FSU on the last play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6XLbDJA0ZE

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    As a lifelong ND fan... No. They are replacing some key positions on the Oline, and thus far the performance has been very inconsistent and generally poor. They aren't run-blocking well, and too many missed assignments in pass blocking has led to far too many sacks [and turnovers]. On the defensive side, where they are also replacing some key talent that left for the NFL, players seem to be having a tough time adjusting to new DC Marcus Freeman's scheme, and that has led to some very ugly broken plays and missed assignments thus far. They're definitely not a top 10 team right now, and not playing like top 20 either IMO. More likely somewhere in the 20-25 range or 'just outside'.
    What makes you think they're even that good? They have basically played even with a Florida State team that just lost to a D-2 team, and Toledo.

If their name wasn't Notre Dame and they didn't have the gold helmets on, wouldn't they be evaluated, based on their actual play, as just an average-at-best college football team?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What makes you think they're even that good? They have basically played even with a Florida State team that just lost to a D-2 team, and Toledo.

If their name wasn't Notre Dame and they didn't have the gold helmets on, wouldn't they be evaluated, based on their actual play, as just an average-at-best college football team?
    Welp, we'll find out soon enough.

Watching Clemson-Georgia on one channel and UCLA-LSU on the other. What I’m seeing is a lot of ordinary-to-worse QB play from all of them. Defenses sitting on the routes snd stuffing everything. Not a lot of impressive offensive play in either game.
    The retrospectroscope now reveals that UGA QB has a core injury, likely limiting his downfield throws(he didn't play against UAB on 9/11).
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

Welp, we'll find out soon enough.
    Exactly.

They were in the CFB playoff last season, have a roster comprised of talent from consistent top 10 recruiting classes, and just hired the most sought-after DC on the market last season—it's not like the high preseason ranking from both coaches and sportswriters was completely arbitrary/insane/out-of-the-blue.

And while I agree that preseason and early season rankings are pretty ridiculous—given that each season is basically a brand new team (particularly in college athletics)—and would much rather see no polls/rankings until teams have played a few games to better gauge how these versions stack up against one another right now, that ain't gonna happen. Americans are far too enamored with rankings and polls and whatnot, particularly in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Exactly.

They were in the CFB playoff last season, have a roster comprised of talent from consistent top 10 recruiting classes, and just hired the most sought-after DC on the market last season—it's not like the high preseason ranking from both coaches and sportswriters was completely arbitrary/insane/out-of-the-blue.

And while I agree that preseason and early season rankings are pretty ridiculous—given that each season is basically a brand new team (particularly in college athletics)—and would much rather see no polls/rankings until teams have played a few games to better gauge how these versions stack up against one another right now, that ain't gonna happen. Americans are far too enamored with rankings and polls and whatnot, particularly in sports.
    Yes. College basketball preseason polls are harmless. The football polls unfairly offer certain teams a head start towards the playoff.

It isn't as bad as when they just voted for the winner, but it's similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Let's hear it for Duke grad Damon Philyaw-Johnson and his game winning TD as JaxvlleSt beats FSU on the last play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6XLbDJA0ZE
    Give credit to #9 - great block at the end. Loved D P-J's stop after the catch to get away from the two defenders.

Best was the open mouth look of shock on the 3 FSU cheerleaders as they walked away from the celebration.

And FSU paid them $400k to come play.