Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It used to be forbidden for TV announcers to mention these types of plays but now it is more acceptable - I was just watching part of the Ohio State/Penn State game and when they showed the score on the crawl, it mentioned what the final play and line were.

Meanwhile you were cashing your big bet on the over for "points scored by Bates Jones"?
    I did not bet on Duke today.

I did bet on the Braves the last two days.

Three good decisions.

Heels looked so good I couldn't even be bothered to post until now.

Go Pack!

9f

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Heels looked so good I couldn't even be bothered to post until now.

Go Pack!

9f
    Heels led in every meaningful stat except one. They had more yards, more first downs, more time of possession, more turnovers and looking more good. It's just that pesky points on the scoreboard stat that's a bit of a problem.

Cheats, a preseason Top 10 , now stand at 4-4.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Cheats, a preseason Top 10 , now stand at 4-4.
    And in danger of bowl ineligibility. After John Swofford's parting gift of a sweetheart early football schedule, UNC has a challenging backloaded November. They host #10 Wake Forest, play at Pitt, host Wofford, and finish at NC State. Pitt and NC State are just outside the Top 25. Wofford is an FCS team, so winning just one more ACC game and finishing 6-6 is no guarantee of a bowl.

I suspect UNC would have to win one of its next 2 games, then beat Wofford, and then go to Raleigh and hope that NC State does what NC State always does: let Duke fans down.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Wofford is an FCS team, so winning just one more ACC game and finishing 6-6 is no guarantee of a bowl.
    Finishing 6-6 will result in Heels bowl eligibility. Teams are allowed to count one win over a FCS opponent. Wofford is the only FCS team on Carolina’s schedule.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Finishing 6-6 will result in Heels bowl eligibility. Teams are allowed to count one win over a FCS opponent. Wofford is the only FCS team on Carolina’s schedule.
    So here's to them finishing 5-7!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And in danger of bowl ineligibility. After John Swofford's parting gift of a sweetheart early football schedule, UNC has a challenging backloaded November.
    You honestly think John Swofford tried to manipulate Carolina's football schedule to their advantage?

They have four ACC home games and four ACC road games, the same as everyone else. They play all six opponents in their division, the same as anyone else. They play two non-division ACC opponents, on a standardized schedule, the same as anyone else. They establish their non-conference opponents—subject to the Notre Dame thing—the same as anyone else.

And I'm not sure opening at Virginia Tech qualifies as a "sweetheart deal."

And in danger of bowl ineligibility. After John Swofford's parting gift of a sweetheart early football schedule, UNC has a challenging backloaded November.
    You honestly think John Swofford tried to manipulate Carolina's football schedule to their advantage?

They have four ACC home games and four ACC road games, the same as everyone else. They play all six opponents in their division, the same as anyone else. They play two non-division ACC opponents, on a standardized schedule, the same as anyone else. They establish their non-conference opponents—subject to the Notre Dame thing—the same as anyone else.

And I'm not sure opening at Virginia Tech qualifies as a "sweetheart" deal.

Gary Patterson out at TCU

After twenty years at the helm, Patterson is out immediately. There seem to be some parallels with Cutcliffe.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    After twenty years at the helm, Patterson is out immediately. There seem to be some parallels with Cutcliffe.
    Hmm interesting. I mean, TCU has been ranked as as a top ten team IN THE NATION in 3 of the last 8 years. And made a bowl game in 14 of the last 16 years. He's led his team to top 25 finishes 12 times. Pretty much like Duke, right?

He does get something north of $5M a year ... They've started this season 3-5 (1-4 in the Big 12)...

18 Bowls in the last 21 years. We'll take him!!!

Gotta wonder about TCU's expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    BYU is skunking UVa early in Bronco Mendenhall’s homecoming to Utah …

UVa looks like a team headed to the Tony the Tiger bowl New Year’s Eve in El Paso …

They’re 45 minutes away from being 6-3 …

Their secondary looks as good as my middle school’s secondary … I mean they’re BAD. UVA’s that is.
    The first half of that game was just ludicrous. 5 minutes into Q2 they were on pace for an 85-65 BYU victory and then *they picked up the pace* so by halftime they were on pace for an 85-75 UVA victory. UVA had spotted BYU a 21-0 first quarter lead, yet went into the half with the lead after scoring 5 TDs *in Q2*. UVA averaged 12 yards/play in the half despite 2 of their first 3 drives being 3-and-outs. At the half, the teams had combined for ~850 yards of offense.

2nd half wasn't as much fun. BYU did their job and kept rolling along against UVA's defense, but UVA opened the half with another 3-and-out, then had a TD, but then our possessions went Fumble-Interception-TO on downs. Plus our star QB got hurt (maybe broken rib. Turns out there's a downside to having virtually every play either be a pass or a QB run) so that was it. It was quite a game.

TCU and Patterson

OK. My initial comment about TCU/Patterson was not to equate them and their success with that of Duke. It was to point out that another relatively small private school could/would quickly pull the trigger with a coach.

I both like and respect David Cutcliffe. As a Duke fan since my childhood in the 50s, am most grateful to him for what he has done for Duke football. However, the TCU situation shows how different expectations can be across similar institutions.

Would not want to be Nina King in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Um ... no, on second thought, never mind.

OK. My initial comment about TCU/Patterson was not to equate them and their success with that of Duke. It was to point out that another relatively small private school could/would quickly pull the trigger with a coach.

I both like and respect David Cutcliffe. As a Duke fan since my childhood in the 50s, am most grateful to him for what he has done for Duke football. However, the TCU situation shows how different expectations can be across similar institutions.

Would not want to be Nina King in this situation.
    I agree this will be an interesting situation to watch in terms of who they go after and who they get. Of course Patterson's success at TCU dwarfs anything Cut has done at Duke, and their football program is miles ahead of ours right now. It is worth noting that they play in a stadium that seats 45,000 people. They put 35-40,000 in the seats for the lesser games and 40-45,000 for the bigger games. Obviously we come nowhere close to that in terms of filling our stadium. Interesting too because in "normal" times, one would assume that TCU is a far better job than Duke, and it probably still is, but with Oklahoma and Texas heading out the door, how will the Big 12 be viewed? Is a mid-level Big 12 job, when it's not the Big 12 as we've known it, still better than a low level ACC job? I think so. I think they're going to draw a significantly stronger pool of candidates than we will. Hope I'm wrong.

Football in Texas Is Something Else

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I agree this will be an interesting situation to watch in terms of who they go after and who they get. Of course Patterson's success at TCU dwarfs anything Cut has done at Duke, and their football program is miles ahead of ours right now. It is worth noting that they play in a stadium that seats 45,000 people. They put 35-40,000 in the seats for the lesser games and 40-45,000 for the bigger games. Obviously we come nowhere close to that in terms of filling our stadium. Interesting too because in "normal" times, one would assume that TCU is a far better job than Duke, and it probably still is, but with Oklahoma and Texas heading out the door, how will the Big 12 be viewed? Is a mid-level Big 12 job, when it's not the Big 12 as we've known it, still better than a low level ACC job? I think so. I think they're going to draw a significantly stronger pool of candidates than we will. Hope I'm wrong.
    Football is a really big deal in Texas. I once attended a HS playoff games in 70,000-seat Rice Stadium, which pitted Booker T. Washington against Galveston Ball HS. The stadium was full, although the reported attendance was 50,000. I honestly think no one knew how many were there. But, visually, there were no empty seats. But anyway -- 50,000 for a state quarterfinal game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And TCU is the only Power Five school in DFW.
    And they recently won the Rose Bowl.
    And they have consistently beaten Texas.
    And there is big oil money in town. Real big.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Everything’s bigger in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Everything’s bigger in Texas.
    Are you messin' w' me? I guess it's ok, I'm not from Texas.