Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm a bit mystified as to why so many posters are expressing bemusement at "What a world we live in, when we're envying Wake Forest football, amirite?"

They're of course not a year-in, year-out contender, but Wake has had a respectable football program for the last couple of decades. They've played in bowl games in exactly half of those seasons, a supposedly lofty goal set by many Duke football observers, and their bowl rate gets even better if you start the clock at the 2006 season, which culminated in an ACC championship and an Orange Bowl berth (?!?!). Including that one, they've played in 9 bowls in 15 seasons, and have already qualified this year for their 10th out of the last 16. I'm pretty sure we'd be downright giddy with that performance from Duke football (I know I would).

I get that they're set up as a natural comparison in light of all the institutional similarities, but Wake Forest football didn't by any means pop onto this year's radar out of nowhere.
    Great points, I would delete my post if I could. Alas, my ignorance will remain exposed for posterity.

An interesting (to say the least) tidbit about ESPN's Gameday show tomorrow - none other than Bill Walton will be making an appearance!what he knows about football is anyone's guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    An interesting (to say the least) tidbit about ESPN's Gameday show tomorrow - none other than Bill Walton will be making an appearance!what he knows about football is anyone's guess
    Thanks for the heads up! I can't remember the last time I watched Gameday, but I'll be tuning in for that!

I betcha he’s versed in a punters hang time and how he would be a great candidate to win the Ray Guy award.

What's the over/under on the number of references to "conference of champions"?

(scouring for Grateful Dead football lyrics ….)

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I can't remember the last time I watched Gameday, but I'll be tuning in for that!
    ^^^^ This is why Walton is on Gameday: ESPN wants the casual eyeballs to click on their show.
    No offense intended, btw.

Not..gonmna..do it !

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    ^^^^ This is why Walton is on Gameday: ESPN wants the casual eyeballs to click on their show.

Not..gonmna..do it !
    I may watch.

I'm known for my casual eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post

Not..gonmna..do it !
    No offense taken, but do you read the football threads?

My lack of interest in College Gameday is because it sucks, not because I'm not heavily invested in college football.

If you have listened to him do college hoops, what he knows about basketball is anyone's guess too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

One to keep an eye on: Navy 10, #2 Cincinnati 10
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    And (surely this is a typo) Kansas leads Oklahoma 10-0 at the half.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The service academies showed up to play today. Army is tied with Wake 28-all.

Fun day of football so far.

Well, my post was a double jinx ... Cincy turned it on after half and is now up 17, while Wake is now up 14 (after 5 total 3rd-quarter touchdowns at the 5:16 mark of the quarter).

That Wake game is a friggin shootout.

Kanas hanging with the Okies. Nittany Lions struggling with the Illini...i don't know what a Nittany Lion is, nor do I know what an Illini is, FWIW.

This Kansas game is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That Wake game is a friggin shootout.
    Wake hung 70 on Army.
    Army hung 56 on Wake

Duke plays Wake next.

One might believe there are points to be had.
    I thought the same VS Virginia

Illinois and Penn St. tied in the sixth overtime if the ESPN scoreboard is to be believed.