Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Iowa is very,very good this year.

But your point stands.
    Iowa got throttled, at home, yesterday by a 3-2 Purdue team. Their early season quality wins were 1st game against #17 Indiana (who is now 2-4) and 2nd game against #9 Iowa State (who is now not only unranked, but not receiving any AP votes at all).

Last week they were losing at home to Penn State 17-3 in the 2nd quarter when QB Sean Clifford went down. Penn State only managed 3 more points.

You are being kind to say they are very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Iowa got throttled, at home, yesterday by a 3-2 Purdue team. Their early season quality wins were 1st game against #17 Indiana (who is now 2-4) and 2nd game against #9 Iowa State (who is now not only unranked, but not receiving any AP votes at all).

Last week they were losing at home to Penn State 17-3 in the 2nd quarter when QB Sean Clifford went down. Penn State only managed 3 more points.

You are being kind to say they are very, very good.
    The number three ranked team with an absolutely top tier defense and is in the conversation for the playoff lost their first game yesterday, so now they aren't "very, very good?" Prior to yesterday they led the nation in turnover margin.

I suspect that before yesterday, they'd be underdogs on a neutral field to possibly three or four teams?

What's your standard for "very, very good?". They'd absolutely be undefeated in the ACC. Unless you count only Alabama and Georgia as "very, very good," you gotta leave the door open for Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    That situation in Knoxville last night was very ugly. Danny White, their new AD, has his work cut out for him.
    If it had to happen to somebody, I'm glad it was Lane Kiffin.

The number three ranked team with an absolutely top tier defense and is in the conversation for the playoff lost their first game yesterday, so now they aren't "very, very good?" Prior to yesterday they led the nation in turnover margin.

I suspect that before yesterday, they'd be underdogs on a neutral field to possibly three or four teams?

What's your standard for "very, very good?". They'd absolutely be undefeated in the ACC. Unless you count only Alabama and Georgia as "very, very good," you gotta leave the door open for Iowa.
    Oh c'mon. Are you just trying to be argumentative? That "absolutely top tier defense" just gave up 24 points to a Purdue team that scored all of 13 points against a 2-5 Illinois team 2 weeks ago. Before Clifford got hurt, Penn State was on track to beat them by 40 points. The only thing they've shown is that rankings are worth nothing until at least half the season has been played.

Your other "absolutely", that they'd be undefeated in the ACC, is damning with faint praise.

Oh c'mon. Are you just trying to be argumentative? That "absolutely top tier defense" just gave up 24 points to a Purdue team that scored all of 13 points against a 2-5 Illinois team 2 weeks ago. Before Clifford got hurt, Penn State was on track to beat them by 40 points. The only thing they've shown is that rankings are worth nothing until at least half the season has been played.

Your other "absolutely", that they'd be undefeated in the ACC, is damning with faint praise.
    Seems like you're the one being argumentative here (and you are certainly the one offering the contrarian take).

So any team with a loss can't be "very, very good?"

How about Alabama?

Man, everyone has Iowa on their short list of great teams. A loss yesterday does tarnish their shine a bit, but I can't imagine they fall below #5.

Obviously the ACC line was a barb. Saying Iowa is better than Wake - hopefully - isn't controversial.

But I didn't think saying Iowa was very, very good was a "hot take" either.

There are several ACC teams better than Purdue, so I don't agree that Iowa would definitely be undefeated in the ACC. I agree with the previous poster that Iowa is a bit overrated, I think they are closer to the #20 team than #2. I think they're about Clemson-level this year (great defense, horrible offense – can beat or lose to anyone).

The Big 10 divisions are weird. Honestly I think it comes down to the conference not predicting that Nebraska would be awful. If they were a powerhouse as expected, then the divisions would be much more balanced.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...on-per-report/

Duke isn’t the only Power 5 football program with HC issues.
    For the record, I’m not in favor of Ed Orgeron coming to Durham

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...on-per-report/

Duke isn’t the only Power 5 football program with HC issues.
    For the record, I’m not in favor of Ed Orgeron coming to Durham
    Agree I wouldn't want Orgeron anywhere near Duke, but I would​ be happy with a similar announcement from Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Agree I wouldn't want Orgeron anywhere near Duke, but I would​ be happy with a similar announcement from Duke.
    I would like to emulate absolutely none of what LSU is doing. Orgeron is less than 2 years out from putting together one of the most dominant seasons in the past couple decades of the sport and was still recruiting at an elite level. I think LSU will wind up regretting what they're doing here.

I can't imagine they fall below #5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think they are closer to the #20 team than #2.
    Polls are out...they're #11 (which I think is about right). No, this Iowa team is not a great team. They're probably still good enough to win the (horrid) Big 10 West, but I suspect they'll have a hard time beating the eventual winner (Ohio State/Penn State, ostensibly with a healthy QB/Michigan/Michigan State) of the much better Big 10 East.

I would like to emulate absolutely none of what LSU is doing. Orgeron is less than 2 years out from putting together one of the most dominant seasons in the past couple decades of the sport and was still recruiting at an elite level. I think LSU will wind up regretting what they're doing here.
    I agree with your sentiment, but I think you kind of miss the point being made....which was that letting Cut go now would NOT be emulating LSU at all...because of the extreme analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    How about the Ole Miss cheerleaders?
    Certainly not.

I’m not defending what happened. I’m saying I see why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Kiffin deserves whatever he gets. Especially from Tennessee fans.
    Kiffin may have been a bad coach and a schmuck. But you think he deserved to have full bottles of liquid thrown at him?

Iowa's offense is just not very good. Their defense is good, but they're on the field to much.

Nobody deserves to have objects thrown at them.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Kiffin may have been a bad coach and a schmuck. But you think he deserved to have full bottles of liquid thrown at him?
    Fans are lucky they didn't hit one of the state troopers surrounding him. Sitting in jail with assaulting an office charge would put a damper on one's weekend.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't know, the Oregon Ducks are 5-1 and ranked tenth.

Nick Rolovich and four assistants terminated at Washington State for not getting COVID vaccinations.

According to an article I read in the Athletic, after the 2019 title, he lost a lot of talent plus both coordinators and got a divorce. He had problems replacing the coaches as well as a host of other issues, including paying less attention to the job to chase women. In a way I admire Coach O. Unlike the Nick Sabans of the world who enjoy a title for about 15 minutes before immersing themselves back in the process, Coach O was like "I won the title. I'm stepping off the hedonic treadmill of coaching and enjoy the hell out of my status as a recently divorced rich famous man."

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    Nick Rolovich and four assistants terminated at Washington State for not getting COVID vaccinations.
    For Rolovich… Religious exemption denied. Fired for cause. Giving up a few million. Sad… I wonder how he squares this with his family.